Reject..My Score and Status..Retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyc0816

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My score

Overall GPA: 3.52
Science GPA : 3.89
AA : 19
TS : 20
PAT :22

*Finished Rrequirement Courses
General Biology
General Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Anatomy & Physiology I
English I
Psychology
Economy
Precaculus

*Plan
Cell Biology
Anatomy & Physiology II
English II
Biochemistry (Summer)

I am international student. I didn't have a Bachelor's degree in USA, but I had a Bachelor's degree in foreign country. I am going to transfer Physics credit from my county. Also I had a Master's degree in Mathematics from BU.

In October, I had three interviews at Indiana, BU,and Tufts, but I rejected from all of them. However, I had an admission from NYU without interview.
Also I left several schools : UOP, NOVA, Maryland, Columbia, Pittsburgh,VCU.
They show "Received/Under review" in web site.

Now, What can I do?
[ ] Retake DAT
[ ] Take Physics course in USA
[ ] Just deposit $500 to NYU and wait a news from other schools?
[ ] Go NYU

I am curious. Do I need to upgrade my DAT scores? If that's why, I am going to retake DAT on Mid, January for '06 . Is it too late or be fine?

Please help me...

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let go of NYU, make the deposit. NYU is great university and you'll get a great education there. You have great stats, no need to improve them at all. My suggestion would be definetely make your deposit and wait for the other ones if you want to go there. DON"T DECIDE TO TAKE A YEAR OFF rather than going to NYU. :thumbup:

kyc0816 said:
My score

General Biology
General Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Anatomy & Physiology I
English I
Psychology
Economy
Precaculus

*Plan
Cell Biology
Anatomy & Physiology II
English II
Biochemistry (Summer)

I am international student. I didn't have a Bachelor's degree in USA, but I had a Bachelor's degree in foreign country. I am going to transfer Physics credit from my county. Also I had a Master's degree in Mathematics from BU.

In October, I had three interviews at Indiana, BU,and Tufts, but I rejected from all of them. However, I had an admission from NYU without interview.

Now, What can I do?
[ ] Retake DAT
[ ] Go NYU

I am curious. Do I need to upgrade my DAT scores? If that's why, I am going to retake DAT on Mid, January for '06 . Is it too late or be fine?

Please help me...

Hello,

It appears that your GPA and DAT scores are strong ( I believe that any score above 20 is consider good). I took mine 16 years ago. It seems that although your grades are good, they are not good ENOUGH to compete with other INTERNATIONAL students for a few limited slots as each school usually reserve a few slots for international students as they do with out of state applicants. It is possible that you happened to apply while there are some smart international guys apply at the same time. I would not redo the DAT unless you KNOW that you can do better. I know someone who scored a 23 then retook and ended up with a 19! So beware! You should call the schools and ask the follwing:

1. How many slots for international students.
2. What are their average DAT/GPA.
3. What is the trend of that scores/grades over the past 5 years.
4. Ask the advisor or admission dean on his/her advice.

Good luck. DP

Members don't see this ad :)
kyc0816 said:
...I am curious. Do I need to upgrade my DAT scores? If that's why, I am going to retake DAT on Mid, January for '06 . Is it too late or be fine?

Please help me...

Was it your DAT scores that caused you to be rejected from those schools? Before jumping to conclusions and trying to fix an area of your application that might not be broken I would contact each of those schools and ask them to be candid about your file and why you were rejected. You earned an interview and scores are usually used by schools to see if you are 'worthy' of advancing to the next step. Since you were given interviews at each school that leads me to believe there is something else amiss in the whole picture (interview responses, personal statement, so on). See if you can determine what it is, and if it is in fact your scores then go ahead and retake them, if not concentrate you efforts towards fixing these other areas that the schools weren't fond of. Best of luck! :thumbup:

kyc0816 said:
My score

General Biology
General Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Anatomy & Physiology I
English I
Psychology
Economy
Precaculus

*Plan
Cell Biology
Anatomy & Physiology II
English II
Biochemistry (Summer)

Now, What can I do?
[ ] Retake DAT
[ ] Go NYU

Please help me...

You have excellent stats and did not get in. However, you have 0 posts. I think you clearly are a TROLL.

why didnt anyone else grab this?????

TROLL ALERT!!!!

Hot pickle baby said:
You have excellent stats and did not get in. However, you have 0 posts. I think you clearly are a TROLL.

TROLL ALERT!!!!
:confused:

Hot pickle baby said:

TROLL ALERT!!!!
You have weird logic. He was accepted to NYU w/o interview. He just wants to explore his options. I do not consider that a troll.

Richnator said:
You have weird logic. He was accepted to NYU w/o interview. He just wants to explore his options. I do not consider that a troll.

ok.

But keep in mind, you disagree with everyone on SDN.

Hot pickle baby said:

TROLL ALERT!!!!

troll - One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

kyc0816 is not a troll... IAMSARA was a troll

huskerslp said:
troll - One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

who is she? Is that you since you are new?

huskerslp said:

Please, I beg of you...never mention her again.

Hey guys~
I am serious.
To listen your sincere advices, I opend my everything: score, status, and my weakness. Please give me more advices whether "Retake DAT" or "GO NYU"
Please~

Your stats look more than adequate to get into most schools. The only thing really holding you back is that schools accept very few international students. Retaking the DAT probably won't really make much of a difference. Since you have an acceptance from NYU, unless you really hate it there, I think you should just attend.

kyc0816 said:
Hey guys~
I am serious.
To listen your sincere advices, I opend my everything: score, status, and my weakness. Please give me more advices whether "Retake DAT" or "GO NYU"
Please~
Go to NYU is my vote. I think NYU is a good school, but I been in NY too long. Only problem with NYU though is the sheer number of students. I guess it is good as well. If you piss someone off, it is easy to get lost in the crowd.

Good luck,
Rich

kyc0816 said:
Hey guys~
I am serious.
Please~
Go to NYU. DO NOT RETAKE THE DAT :scared: :scared: . You did great the first time. I can almost guarantee that is not the thing holding you back. Just hang in there. Believe it or not, it still is early in the game for acceptances. :luck: :luck: