rejected 2 cycles, trying to figure out why, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meiling

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I've applied to 20+ medical schools for the 2 cycles with no luck (only 2 interviews)

I think I have strong stats... couldn't figure out why I was not even getting interview invites

I am reapplying one last time this cycle, since my MCAT score is expiring and I don't want to waste more money on applying... I hope some of you with more experience may point me to how I should improve my application.

I have a MCAT score of 34 and GPA 3.96 (science GPA 4.00)

I graduated a year ago with a summa honors thesis, is currently a research technician at a general hospital. Research wise I have 2 years of undergraduate research, 2 separate summer research internships, and this past year of research working as a tech.

Clinical experience wise I took half a year off of school to work full time as a physician's assistant at a family clinic. I've shadowed 2 doctors intermittently, 1 in a clinic setting, 1 in a hospital going on rounds. I'm a EMT and volunteered on my school's squad for all 3 years while I was in college. Also volunteered at ERs.

I have 5 LOCs (2 science prof, 1 humanities prof, 1 research, 1 clinical), and I know they are strong because when I interviewed my interviewer specifically complimented my letters.

I've considered if it could be my PS or secondaries that's throwing me off. But I have lots of people read them, and even if they are not the best I don't believe they are the reason I'm not getting any II.

Any advice on what I should change on this next cycle? or just general advice for re-applying???

Thanks everyone!

*** I am Canadian, which (despite how much I don't want to think so), may be a significant reason why I'm having such trouble.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply early and apply broadly.

Hi Everyone

I've applied to 20+ medical schools for the 2 cycles with no luck (only 2 interviews)

I think I have strong stats... couldn't figure out why I was not even getting interview invites

I am reapplying one last time this cycle, since my MCAT score is expiring and I don't want to waste more money on applying... I hope some of you with more experience may point me to how I should improve my application.

I graduated a year ago with a summa honors thesis, is currently a research technician at a general hospital. Research wise I have 2 years of undergraduate research, 2 separate summer research internships, and this past year of research working as a tech.

Clinical experience wise I took half a year off of school to work full time as a physician's assistant at a family clinic. I've shadowed 2 doctors intermittently, 1 in a clinic setting, 1 in a hospital going on rounds. I'm a EMT and volunteered on my school's squad for all 3 years while I was in college. Also volunteered at ERs.

I have 5 LOCs (2 science prof, 1 humanities prof, 1 research, 1 clinical), and I know they are strong because when I interviewed my interviewer specifically complimented my letters.

I've considered if it could be my PS or secondaries that's throwing me off. But I have lots of people read them, and even if they are not the best I don't believe they are the reason I'm not getting any II.

Any advice on what I should change on this next cycle? or just general advice for re-applying???

Thanks everyone!
Was your school list top heavy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone

Thanks everyone!
School lists? Any volunteering (clinical or non-clinical)?

How many interviews did you attend ? What state are you from ? Any baggage you aren't telling us about ?
When were you complete ? And what was your school list?

You have a solid app...great stats and solid ECs.

Do you have any red flags, like an institutional action? What were your school lists?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You have a nasty LOR in there somewhere. You need to find out who wrote you that.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone

Thanks everyone!
I'm assuming you mean you worked as a medical assistant, not a PA?

Can you share your state and school list?

You have a solid app...great stats and solid ECs.

Do you have any red flags, like an institutional action? What were your school lists?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
No. I have a semester of non-academic leave which I used to work at the family clinic. I explained that in every single application, when they ask if I have any gap years etc.

My school list was a little top heavy on my first cycle because I was confident... but last cycle I had schools like Penn state, BU, Utah, which I know still require somewhat high stats but I believe I am in range....

I'm assuming you mean you worked as a medical assistant, not a PA?

Can you share your state and school list?
not a PA, the doctor I worked for just liked calling it physician assistant. My official title was medical office assistant.
My school list was little top heavy but I had schools like Penn state, Utah, and BU, which I thought were pretty within reach...

How many interviews did you attend ? What state are you from ? Any baggage you aren't telling us about ?
When were you complete ? And what was your school list?

I only got 2 IIs, attended both. 1 resulted in a waitlist, the other just rejection. I'm Canadian... that is probably a big reason but I think my stats are strong enough that they should at least consider me for interviews... apparently not
I only applied to schools that matriculate international students. I just didn't think (or don't want to think) that being Canadian is such a critical problem

Apply early and apply broadly.
I did. Submitted AMCAS first day it allowed substitution. Secondaries completed within 2 weeks of receiving them, and at least by early August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was your school list top heavy?
On my first cycle yes. Since I was quite confident about my stats...
last cycle I had schools like Tufts, BU, Penn state, U Utah, etc, but didn't seem to help.

not a PA, the doctor I worked for just liked calling it physician assistant. My official title was medical office assistant.
My school list was little top heavy but I had schools like Penn state, Utah, and BU, which I thought were pretty within reach...

Hopefully you didn't put physician assistant on your app?

Sorry for the bad app cycles, hopefully someone can give you some good advice.

Have you looked at the MSAR to see exactly which schools take Canadians? AND....which ones matriculate more than 2 or 3 each year? If not, then you need to.

Reactions: 1 users
Canadian... that is probably a big reason but I think my stats are strong enough that they should at least consider me for interviews...

Someone else may have more insight here, but I think this might be the biggest factor. I attended something like 12 interviews and very rarely saw any international applicants. And of the 2 Canadians I did meet, they had stellar stats and EC's. It may just be that much more difficult for you to get into a US school

School list?

You are right about the international status being key here, I think. Depending on where you were applying that alone might explain only getting a couple interviews.

School list?

You are right about the international status being key here, I think. Depending on where you were applying that alone might explain only getting a couple interviews.

School list:
2nd cycle
Baylor
Boston U
Emory
Dartmouth
Northwestern
New York U
Penn State
Tufts
U Utah
U Virginia
Vanderbilt
Cornell

1st cycle I had a lot more top schools like Harvard and UCLA not knowing better...
There's only about 40 or so schools that take internationals, I think I've covered about half that list by now

I've also applied to Canadian schools -UBC (my residence) and Mcgill, both rejected. UBC interviewed me and rejected.

Have you looked at the MSAR to see exactly which schools take Canadians? AND....which ones matriculate more than 2 or 3 each year? If not, then you need to.

Yes, and I based my school choices on that.

Yeah it was your list. Even as an American, with a 34 many of those are iffy and the list overall is very short. As a Canadian getting 2 of those does not sound out of the ordinary

Yes, and I based my school choices on that.
You say you had too many top schools on your first list, well you still have too many reach schools on your second list. You need to scale it back quite a bit to mostly mid and lower tier MD schools and maybe consider some DO schools next time around.

Also is that 34 your only MCAT?

Yeah it was your list. Even as an American, with a 34 many of those are iffy and the list overall is very short. As a Canadian getting 2 of those does not sound out of the ordinary

thank you!!! I really wish my premed adviser could have said that to me and been honest with me about it!

Here some schools I'm considering this cycle, any suggestions on what I should keep vs discard?

Albert Einstein
George Washington
Emory
Rutgers Jersey
U Penn

Sorry there is just such limited choices for me because of the old MCAT score and international double situation. I wish some one could have said this to me earlier.

Hey, as a fellow Canadian who was successful this cycle (8 II), apply to more schools 25+, and get rid of the following

School list:
2nd cycle
Baylor <-- don't take many internationals
Boston U
Emory
Dartmouth
Northwestern
New York U <-- not on my list
Penn State
Tufts <-- wasn't on my list
U Utah <-- also don't take many internationals
U Virginia
Vanderbilt
Cornell

You're missing a lot of the reasonable schools where you have a shot.

Wayne State? Jefferson? Saint Louis?

Why weren't these on your list

thank you!!! I really wish my premed adviser could have said that to me and been honest with me about it!

Here some schools I'm considering this cycle, any suggestions on what I should keep vs discard?

Albert Einstein
George Washington
Emory
Rutgers Jersey
U Penn

Sorry there is just such limited choices for me because of the old MCAT score and international double situation. I wish some one could have said this to me earlier.
I saw two Canadian students at my Stony Brook interview, so there's another school around your numbers :)

Honestly I'm not familiar enough with which schools take international applications. I'd go through the MSAR and make a master list of all the schools that take internationals. How many of those have MCAT medians of 516 and below?

I can tell you right now at least that schools like Northwestern, NYU, Vanderbilt, Cornell, UVA would not be included via this method, MCATs are too high. You want more of the mid tier schools where a 34/516 is at least at the median, if not a couple points above.

Honestly I'm not familiar enough with which schools take international applications. I'd go through the MSAR and make a master list of all the schools that take internationals. How many of those have MCAT medians of 516 and below?

I can tell you right now at least that schools like Northwestern, NYU, Vanderbilt, Cornell, UVA would not be included via this method, MCATs are too high. You want more of the mid tier schools where a 34/516 is at least at the median, if not a couple points above.
And...as @gyngyn always points out, focus on the ones who actually matriculate more than a few internationals.

Only 49 US MD schools will even consider international applicants this year.
Most of them matriculate 2 or less. This includes some of the schools on your list. You need to look at the MSAR. For example, from your list Baylor matriculated none.

There are about a dozen DO schools that will consider internationals.

Hey, as a fellow Canadian who was successful this cycle (8 II), apply to more schools 25+, and get rid of the following

School list:
2nd cycle
Baylor <-- don't take many internationals
Boston U
Emory
Dartmouth
Northwestern
New York U <-- not on my list
Penn State
Tufts <-- wasn't on my list
U Utah <-- also don't take many internationals
U Virginia
Vanderbilt
Cornell

You're missing a lot of the reasonable schools where you have a shot.

Wayne State? Jefferson? Saint Louis?

Why weren't these on your list

Thank you so much. If it's alright with you, can you share your school list with me?

I believed I scratched off some schools because I also have the old MCAT instead of the 2015 MCAT. Schools that said they preferred the new I did not include in my list.

Do you have any advice in general? points to stress on application? important aspects that you think made your application successful?

Thank you so much. If it's alright with you, can you share your school list with me?

I believed I scratched off some schools because I also have the old MCAT instead of the 2015 MCAT. Schools that said they preferred the new I did not include in my list.

Do you have any advice in general? points to stress on application? important aspects that you think made your application successful?

(*) = II
(**) = accepted

Albert Einstein
Boston U (*)
Case Western
Central Michigan
Duke
Emory (*)
Geisel
GWU
Icahn
Mayo (*)
Michigan State
Northwestern
Oakland university beaumont
Perelman
Pritzker
Rosalind Franklin
Saint Louis (*) (**)
Jefferson Sidney Kimmel (*)
U Hawaii (*)
U Kentucky (*) (**)
Uvirginia
VCU
Vanderbilt
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State (*) (**)

I only have the old score. I had a 34.
Your next list needs to include all schools that have matriculated 3 or more internationals and still take old MCAT scores. Look at the acceptance tab in MSAR for international matriculants.

School list:
2nd cycle
Baylor
Boston U
Emory
Dartmouth
Northwestern
New York U
Penn State
Tufts
U Utah
U Virginia
Vanderbilt
Cornell

1st cycle I had a lot more top schools like Harvard and UCLA not knowing better...
There's only about 40 or so schools that take internationals, I think I've covered about half that list by now

I've also applied to Canadian schools -UBC (my residence) and Mcgill, both rejected. UBC interviewed me and rejected.

To be totally honest... Your stats a maybe a hair higher than mine (514 MCAT/3.93cGPA). I am from the US applying this cycle. To me, the list seems rather top heavy (especially being Canadian). Granted, I know little about how international applications work.

In your case, taking the new MCAT may not be a "waste of money." You're otherwise a strong applicant, so taking the test to increase the number of schools you can apply to actually seems like it'd be helpful and not a waste.

What was the breakdown by section on your MCAT? 14 PS, 14 BS, 6 VR is a very different score than 11 PS, 12 BS, 11 VR.

Although it's more difficult for Canadians to get into a US school, many have managed to do so with stats lower than yours. @bannie22 had stats similar to yours, if I remember correctly, and had a very successful cycles. It's been several (7-8 years) since bannie applied though, so idk how helpful he can be these days. Otherwise, check out this thread: {}{}{}***{}{}{}| Official Premed Application Thread for INTERNATIONAL Students |{}{}{}**{}{}{}

You mention UBC and McGill. Did you apply to any other Canadian schools? With a balanced MCAT and your GPA, you probably would've gotten interviews at Western, Toronto, Queens. Maybe also Ottawa and McMaster, but those are less numbers-based for II.

You really do need to consider thee DO schools that take Canadians. Start list with MSUCOM and UNECOM. My read of schools that take internationals is that they have to be Harvard/Stanford caliber.

What was the breakdown by section on your MCAT? 14 PS, 14 BS, 6 VR is a very different score than 11 PS, 12 BS, 11 VR.

Although it's more difficult for Canadians to get into a US school, many have managed to do so with stats lower than yours. @bannie22 had stats similar to yours, if I remember correctly, and had a very successful cycles. It's been several (7-8 years) since bannie applied though, so idk how helpful he can be these days. Otherwise, check out this thread: {}{}{}***{}{}{}| Official Premed Application Thread for INTERNATIONAL Students |{}{}{}**{}{}{}

You mention UBC and McGill. Did you apply to any other Canadian schools? With a balanced MCAT and your GPA, you probably would've gotten interviews at Western, Toronto, Queens. Maybe also Ottawa and McMaster, but those are less numbers-based for II.

Well hi there!
10 years and going on your account. Strong work!

I agree with the sentiments thats my application cycle has become top distant to be of significant relevance to the process now.

I was 15 14 10 though ;)

You are too top heavy and your list is too narrow. Given how you have failed thrice I would apply to at least 50 schools this year. Remember tuition is 300k. Applications are a drop in the pond.

Hi OP, fellow Canadian here.

Wayne state is a must on your next list. Also, as someone mentioned. Toss in some DO schools.

Thank you, I just read through the international students thread. super helpful!

My scores were 11PS, 13BS, 10VR. So I don't think it's something with my MCAT score that got me.

I've only applied to UBC and McGill. I was thinking that UBC would be a safe bet (it being my home province) but apparently not. I will definitely do more Canadian schools this cycle.

Thank you, I just read through the international students thread. super helpful!

My scores were 11PS, 13BS, 10VR. So I don't think it's something with my MCAT score that got me.

I've only applied to UBC and McGill. I was thinking that UBC would be a safe bet (it being my home province) but apparently not. I will definitely do more Canadian schools this cycle.
Your numbers are strong and shouldve netted you interviews stateside. Now wondering if you had some type of red flag or a super crappy letter..
Your mcat verbal might not make cutoffs at some canadian schools, based on cutoff previous years. Assuming no red flags, you should have good luck with the rest.

You are too top heavy and your list is too narrow. Given how you have failed thrice I would apply to at least 50 schools this year. Remember tuition is 300k. Applications are a drop in the pond.
There are only 49 US MD schools that even consider internationals and many of them only interview internal candidates.