Feb 25, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello Everyone!

This is my 2nd time applying. I applied to 12 dental schools for the 19-20 application cycle and been rejected by all. TWO things has been changed since the last time I applied. ONE: I retook the DAT and did significantly better. TWO: I volunteered as a dental assistant at a dental clinic that served the undeserved. I'm posting this for TWO reasons: to see if i have a better chance in getting in this year and to see if I should change the list of schools I'm applying this year.

Here are my stats:

Date of submission: June
Overall GPA: 3.55
Science GPA: 3.47
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.33
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
FIRST TIME:
AA: 19 QR: 17 PT: 20 RC: 19 BIO: 20 GC: 21 OC: 20 TS: 20
SECOND TIME: AA: 22, QR: 18 PT: 21 RC: 19 BIO: 21 GC: 22 OC: 30 TS: 23
State of Residence: Minnesota

Undergrad Attended: RIT/NTID
Major: Biomedical Science
Minor: Psychology
Minority? Yes - Hard of Hearing
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Undergraduate School: RIT/NTID
Shadowing Experience: 75 Hours at general + 144 hours as dental assistant. TOTAL: 219 Hours
Volunteering Experience:
Student government : 580 hours: The Deaf and Hard of Hearing population at RIT have far different needs than that of NTID. The classroom settings are different, the culture is different, and the experience is different. This role was established to accommodate these needs. To support my constituency, I created innovated ways for the DHH+ population to succeed on and off campus, served as a liaison between NTID and RIT community as well as NTID student congress and RIT SG and collaborated with the RIT & NTID administration and student organizations to complete several projects.
Employment: None
Research: 380 Hours, presented at two conferences
Other Extracurriculars: Sigma Chi: Pledge educator/house manager/ ritual chairman: 1200 Hours
Relevant Honors or Awards: Graudated with Cum Laude honors, Dean's list, obtained several scholarship that are for prestigious hard of hearing students
LOR type and strength: Seven letters of recommendations were filed by the Committee (Two science professors, NTID President, SG faculty, Sigma chi Adviser, Good Samaritan dental clinic, and research mentor. Strength is STRONG)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Yes, I'm hard of hearing, I went through a lot of obstacles to succeed in life. Becuase of this, writing is one of my major weaknesses (why I got a 19 on my RC on the DAT). I classified myself as hard of hearing rather than deaf because I have the ability to communicate with people without the need of interpreter due to the help of my cochlear implants. However, I am fluent in sign language but I only use it when necessary.

School list:
Applied in the past:

UB
Univeristy of Minnesota
OHSU
TUFTS
University of Colorado
HOW
ILL
UCLA
PENN
University of Maryland
Stony Brooks
Marquette
Applying Now:
Boston University
Howard University
NYU
Marquette
USC
University at Buffalo
Nova
Oregon health and science
Iowa
Colorado
UCSF
Tufts
Ohio State
University of Minnesota
Stony Brooks
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Florida
University of Connecticut
University of North Carolina
Virginia Commonwealth

frentist

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
take off UIC off your list, they tend to strongly prefer instate students

Reactions: Prophet101
May 13, 2020
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm curious if you got interviews anywhere. It seems to me that your stats and experience would be good enough to land a few. If you got several interviews and didn't get in, I might look at your interviewing skills. Congrats on the good improvement on your DAT! I would think a 3.55 and 22 DAT should be more than enough catch some eyes to review your application.

In terms of the schools you applied to, UPenn is one of the best and would probably be a reach school. Florida accepts in state kids almost exclusively so you could probably take them off your list. NYU and USC are wicked expensive so I would look carefully as it relates to them.

Reactions: Prophet101
About the Ads
Apr 21, 2019
Be careful applying to schools like USC and NYU unless you can truly afford it (military or parents)

If you only get into those 2 schools, you might feel obligated to attend especially as a reapplicant. But it could end up being a poor decision financially.

May 18, 2020
Status
Pre-Dental
Be careful applying to schools like USC and NYU unless you can truly afford it (military or parents)

If you only get into those 2 schools, you might feel obligated to attend especially as a reapplicant. But it could end up being a poor decision financially.
If get into USC and NYU, is it possible to get a full loan for tuition?

artist2022

D3 :)
2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Boston University
Howard University
NYU
Marquette
USC
University at Buffalo
Nova
Oregon health and science
Iowa
Colorado
UCSF
Tufts
Ohio State
University of Minnesota
Stony Brooks
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Florida
University of Connecticut
University of North Carolina
Virginia Commonwealth
Would remove UF, UNC, Iowa, and UIC - very OOS unfriendly. Would likely remove Howard as they are HBCU. Would look into how OOS friendly Buffalo, Stony Brook, OHSU, and VCU are. Would maybe add UDM? Also keep in mind for Stony Brook that you must have all your pre-reqs done by the time of application.
Definitely keep/add all the schools you got interviews at last cycle, and ask them for feedback on your application.

Feb 25, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm curious if you got interviews anywhere. It seems to me that your stats and experience would be good enough to land a few. If you got several interviews and didn't get in, I might look at your interviewing skills. Congrats on the good improvement on your DAT! I would think a 3.55 and 22 DAT should be more than enough catch some eyes to review your application.

In terms of the schools you applied to, UPenn is one of the best and would probably be a reach school. Florida accepts in state kids almost exclusively so you could probably take them off your list. NYU and USC are wicked expensive so I would look carefully as it relates to them.
I kept getting deferred by 7 schools last cycle but In the end, I still didn’t land a spot for interviews. I went to a couple reapplication workshops to find out why and all of them said that there were just better applicants and I didn’t stick out as much compare to them. They mentioned to retake the DAT(very glad that I did this) and keep volunteering to get in this year.

May 7, 2019
Status
Dental Student
Your scores are not stellar but definitely within range of the average matriculates. If you didn’t get any interviews with a 3.55 and 19 to twelve schools, you might wanna revisit your personal statement also.

sonia11

2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2016
Apply
Hello Everyone!

This is my 2nd time applying. I applied to 12 dental schools for the 19-20 application cycle and been rejected by all. TWO things has been changed since the last time I applied. ONE: I retook the DAT and did significantly better. TWO: I volunteered as a dental assistant at a dental clinic that served the undeserved. I'm posting this for TWO reasons: to see if i have a better chance in getting in this year and to see if I should change the list of schools I'm applying this year.

Here are my stats:

Date of submission: June
Overall GPA: 3.55
Science GPA: 3.47
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.33
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
FIRST TIME:
AA: 19 QR: 17 PT: 20 RC: 19 BIO: 20 GC: 21 OC: 20 TS: 20
SECOND TIME: AA: 22, QR: 18 PT: 21 RC: 19 BIO: 21 GC: 22 OC: 30 TS: 23
State of Residence: Minnesota

Undergrad Attended: RIT/NTID
Major: Biomedical Science
Minor: Psychology
Minority? Yes - Hard of Hearing
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Undergraduate School: RIT/NTID
Shadowing Experience: 75 Hours at general + 144 hours as dental assistant. TOTAL: 219 Hours
Volunteering Experience:
Student government : 580 hours: The Deaf and Hard of Hearing population at RIT have far different needs than that of NTID. The classroom settings are different, the culture is different, and the experience is different. This role was established to accommodate these needs. To support my constituency, I created innovated ways for the DHH+ population to succeed on and off campus, served as a liaison between NTID and RIT community as well as NTID student congress and RIT SG and collaborated with the RIT & NTID administration and student organizations to complete several projects.
Employment: None
Research: 380 Hours, presented at two conferences
Other Extracurriculars: Sigma Chi: Pledge educator/house manager/ ritual chairman: 1200 Hours
Relevant Honors or Awards: Graudated with Cum Laude honors, Dean's list, obtained several scholarship that are for prestigious hard of hearing students
LOR type and strength: Seven letters of recommendations were filed by the Committee (Two science professors, NTID President, SG faculty, Sigma chi Adviser, Good Samaritan dental clinic, and research mentor. Strength is STRONG)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Yes, I'm hard of hearing, I went through a lot of obstacles to succeed in life. Becuase of this, writing is one of my major weaknesses (why I got a 19 on my RC on the DAT). I classified myself as hard of hearing rather than deaf because I have the ability to communicate with people without the need of interpreter due to the help of my cochlear implants. However, I am fluent in sign language but I only use it when necessary.

School list:
Applied in the past:

UB
Univeristy of Minnesota
OHSU
TUFTS
University of Colorado
HOW
ILL
UCLA
PENN
University of Maryland