Rejected Dental Applicants Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you feel you got proper response & treatment from the schools you applied to?

• No, I was extremely Dissatisfied with the process

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Yes, I was extremely Satisfied with the process

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

watchdog007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So first of all congratulations to all the students who are accepted this year and I wish you all a wonderful academic journey :)

I was not an applicant and I am not biased because I was not get in either. I am in the health field and I keep getting some complaints from rejected students who feels the schools are not treating them fairly and respectfully.

I was amazed when I heard some of the stories but obviously I knew many of the students were frustrated and biased toward the outcome. However I personally have seen some cases that seemed to be very odd that outstanding students with great academic performance, excellent volunteer work record, and great interview results did not get in.

That made me wonder if some of the concerns are legit. So I decided to dig more into this and found little information about the "Rejected" students.

So I want to know if any of you who did not get into the program is willing to share your grades with the name of schools you applied to.

Basically this will be an open forum, if you are concern about your identity just use a range of GPA (for example mention it was over 3.7).

I really want to conduct an unbiased study and I appreciate if any of the admission committee members also suggest.

As I mentioned we are all here to improve the system however as many of the schools do not provide accurate reasons for the rejection (Just a simple "competitiveness reason") I suggest you participate in this survey if you are not accepted.

This is just a survey that provides better understanding about the admission process.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you take a look at http://www.predents.com/ for your study, it'll provide much more information and much more quickly than waiting for people to post here.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose to focus on grades? I only ask because in my personal experience during the last cycle, it seemed like state of residence and DAT scores played a bigger role in their determination. That of course applies to only the schools I submitted to.

Why I think the above (and to be fair to you OP, since this is your thread and I am posting in it):

sGPA 3.7, GPA 3.64 (according to AADSAS)
Rejected: UW, Western, Nebraska, UoP, Columbia

All of which my GPAs were higher than their average matriculants, except Nebraska which I don't count anyway, as they've the highest averages of all dental schools. And to add to it, OHSU who I turned down, has a higher average overall GPA than mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad GPA - 2.97
M.S. Immunology, thesis based GPA - 3.89

DAT - 20/19/24 TS/AA/PAT

Rejected from - UCSF, UOP, Columbia, Tufts, BU, NYU, USC, Western, UNLV, TEMPLE, Creighton

Undergrad GPA - 2.97
M.S. Immunology, thesis based GPA - 3.89

DAT - 20/19/24 TS/AA/PAT

Rejected from - UCSF, UOP, Columbia, Tufts, BU, NYU, USC, Western, UNLV, TEMPLE, Creighton

When did you apply? Some of the schools are big time reaches (UCSF, UOP, Columbia,) but the rest of your list looks like you would be competitive to me. What are your plans for this cycle?

I applied the last 3 cycles, each time I submitted all my stuff around mid-July.

I got an interview at UCSF, Western and Case Western this time but nothing after that, not even a waitlist anywhere.

I talked to a few Admission's Counselors, but they didn't really say anything that I could do to improve my application except retake the DAT, since I would have to do anyway when the scores expire. I'm at a total loss of what else I can do at this point with so little time until the next cycle. The whole experience was very discouraging and I feel like I wasted a bunch of my time and money. It seems even if I did do better on the DAT it wouldn't improve my chances much.

I may give up and get a job in the pharmaceutical industry if I can.

I applied the last 3 cycles, each time I submitted all my stuff around mid-July.

I got an interview at UCSF, Western and Case Western this time but nothing after that, not even a waitlist anywhere.

I talked to a few Admission's Counselors, but they didn't really say anything that I could do to improve my application except retake the DAT, since I would have to do anyway when the scores expire. I'm at a total loss of what else I can do at this point with so little time until the next cycle. The whole experience was very discouraging and I feel like I wasted a bunch of my time and money. It seems even if I did do better on the DAT it wouldn't improve my chances much.

What were your stats?

Reactions: 1 user

I am sorry it has gone that way for you, you have already done the masters and done great at it. I guess if they say a DAT that is what you must do. It seems like your great masters GPA and your slightly above average for accepted dental students DAT would have been enough.

Maybe just applying to more schools that are private and tend to accept OOS and lower stats is what you need?

I had a 3.87 overall and 3.83 science GPA. My DAT was a 19, however I did have two 16's (PAT and Gen Chem). I only applied to my state school, where I did receive a pre-december interview. I wasn't shocked by getting rejected, but I was extremely disappointed with how the rejection was handled. I was told at the interview we would be told the outcome on Dec. 12th. I took off work so I wouldn't be upset or otherwise could celebrate. Well December 12th came and went and nothing. A friend called and found out but when I called they had already left. I was told AADSAS would update at midnight so I waited and waited. The next morning I called and said I wanted to check the status of my application. The lady said your AADSAS should have updated. I said it hadn't, she said check again I just looked and it updated. Once again I told her I just looked as well and it hasn't. She then proceeds to tell me well if it hasn't updated you have been rejected......

Shouldn't you have led with that?? She was so rude. I was disgusted with the school in that moment. I mean have some compassion..you're only giving me news thats changing one year of my entire life. So yeah that's why I was dissatisfied with the process...sorry for my rant.