Rejected from all dental schools... Post-bac or Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentdent123

Reaction score
Overall GPA 3.34
sGPA: 3.25
DAT: 18AA
I am a Texas resident who was rejected from all in-state and out-of-state schools I applied to. I am torn between a post-bac program or 1-yr masters. I want to stay in school but need helping deciding what is next. Any advice on which route is "better"?

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools did you apply to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn I'm sorry homie. You might wanna consider retaking the DAT, the average for acceptance is 20.5+ now. GPA and DAT both below average, but DAT is quicker to bring up than GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think your DAT is more of an issue than your GPAs, so I'd first retake that and shoot for a 21+ to be relatively competitive. Since you want to stay in school, you could do an informal post-bacc (or a formal one, it'd just be more expensive), where you basically just take classes at a 4yr university (upper div classes like immuno, serology, med bac, etc).

Reactions: 2 users
I did a 1-year masters with a direct linkage. I had similar GPA stats, but a higher DAT. Once in the program, old GPA and DAT didn’t matter as long as you hit the minimum GPA for acceptance. It was the best option for me and I recommend that route to anyone in a similar position. The program I was in was extremely challenging, but prepared me well for dental school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Overall GPA 3.34
I am a Texas resident who was rejected from all in-state and out-of-state schools I applied to. I am torn between a post-bac program or 1-yr masters. I want to stay in school but need helping deciding what is next. Any advice on which route is "better"?

I would suggest calling the dental schools to which you have applied and inquire as to why you were rejected. Did you interview with any of them? Can you think of reasons why you were not accepted? Post-bac or Master's are generally for those who wish to show the ability to excel at higher lever science courses. So, if it's your GPA the adcom's are concerned about, then do a post-bac. I would also consider retaking the DAT for an improved score.

Also take time to explore the rest of your application and reflect upon your interviews to see what can be improved there.

Reactions: 1 user
Overall GPA 3.34
Did you get any interviews, because I never did :(

Overall GPA 3.34
I don't think a postbac is going to raise your GPA's high enough. You definitely have to go for a stronger DAT score regardless (20's across the board). Your focus should be on all Texas schools (MD and DO) for any reapplication unless you get into a desired SMP with a linkage to the school you want to attend.

Correction: dental schools, not MD/DO. :)

Last edited:
I don't think a postbac is going to raise your GPA's high enough. You definitely have to go for a stronger DAT score regardless (20's across the board). Your focus should be on all Texas schools (MD and DO) for any reapplication unless you get into a desired SMP with a linkage to the school you want to attend.
Higher DAT score for sure but not applications to MD/DO schools....

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest calling the dental schools to which you have applied and inquire as to why you were rejected. Did you interview with any of them? Can you think of reasons why you were not accepted? Post-bac or Master's are generally for those who wish to show the ability to excel at higher lever science courses. So, if it's your GPA the adcom's are concerned about, then do a post-bac. I would also consider retaking the DAT for an improved score.
Also take time to explore the rest of your application and reflect upon your interviews to see what can be improved there.
A Dean who would disclose the reason(s) an applicant was rejected would open up a Pandora's box bigger than Saturn.

Get that DAT score up and those interviews will start to appear. Use Orgoman and Chad's Videos.