patelnb

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I got put on the alternate list from Cincinnati medical school. My stats were WAY above their average. I have a 3.97 GPA and 35O MCAT. Theirs is like a 3.6 and a 30.8 average. My EC's are pretty good (a little low on volunteering, but I don't think that hurt my chances when I take into consideration that I've gotten 5 interviews already). I feel that my MMI went kind of poorly, but I'm not sure because a lot of people said they thought they did poorly but they still got in.

I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. I'm nervous now that I'm doing something wrong in my interviews and I might get rejected from everywhere else. To be honest, I felt confident (because of my high stats, I'm not meaning to brag, I'm just being honeset) that I would get into Cinci medical school. This is a shock to me though.

I'm an Indiana resident, interviewed at IU 10/6. What do you think my chances at IU are?

Thanks a lot

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
First of all, you're waitlisted. That's not the same as rejection. Don't panic. Maybe you just rubbed an interviewer the wrong way. Also remember that once you get the interview, it's usually less about your stats and more about your interview. It could also be an LOR issue, since these aren't necessarily read before extending an interview invitation. As long as you didn't mess up the interview at IU, I'd imagine your chances in your state school are pretty good...but I'm definitely no expert on IU or any of the schools in that area of the country. Good luck.

wanderer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
There are just so many factors that go into admissions at each particular school that it makes it difficult to predict how any one school would look at a particular applicant. Also it's possible that your MMI just didn't go as well as that of others. Also, numbers aren't everything.

OP
P

patelnb

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I was honestly kind of shocked that I didn't get in. I guess I was getting too comfortable. I don't think I was getting cocky, but I was sure that I was going to get accepted to these places. Just scary...now I keep second guessing all my other interviews...

goldnuts13

5+ Year Member
May 26, 2010
Status
I also got waitlisted at Cinci. Ohio resident, 38S, uGPA 3.4, gGPA 3.8.

I also thought my MMI went terribly. My interviewers seemed bored and combative.

You're not alone.

Sep 11, 2010
Status
Similar situation with me at Cinci. Applied to the ROSE program (get spot reserved in med school), got an interview, had a TERRIBLE interviewer. He pretty much disagreed with everything that I said (even when we were talking about my hometown. Like WTF you don't know anything from where I live). I thought I did decent in the interview but guess not.

Stats were high (applied during sophomore year) - 4.0s, 4.0cGPA, lots of research, volunteering, etc. In the end I lost out to someone with a 3.65GPA who was only the SECRETARY of a premed club as her main EC.

Don't worry **** happens

Reaction

Aut vincere aut mori
5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2010
In a test tube
Status
Pre-Medical
Similar situation with me at Cinci. Applied to the ROSE program (get spot reserved in med school), got an interview, had a TERRIBLE interviewer. He pretty much disagreed with everything that I said (even when we were talking about my hometown. Like WTF you don't know anything from where I live). I thought I did decent in the interview but guess not.

Stats were high (applied during sophomore year) - 4.0s, 4.0cGPA, lots of research, volunteering, etc. In the end I lost out to someone with a 3.65GPA who was only the SECRETARY of a premed club as her main EC.

Don't worry **** happens

Couldn't agree more man.. stuff happens.. you'll get in somewhere with your stats and I'm sure your interviews were good too.. its just that you as the person being interviewed felt it wasn't=]

Adaggiote

Removed
Oct 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
What are MMIs??? sorry I do not meant to troll.

Um...I guess you all are in a very unique situations. I guess that means tat stats are not everything.

OP
P

patelnb

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
MMI's are around 8-10, ten minute interviews. There are various ethical questions and scenarios. A very unorthodox style of interview, but I think they are going to catch on eventually.