rejected from my last pic.. albany!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Wall$treet

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so after taking aug mcats and hearing nothing yet from schools other than my state school i figure ill make a few calls today, Well on my like 5th call to Albany which i applied to late as a safety school, well my app is not only complete already, like 2 weeks after sending my stuff in but im rejected she told me! like taht gives me so little hope cause if my worst cohice school and one of the easier ones in the country to get into bombed me, i have no hope for my others.. ahhh frurstatoin! and if taht wasnt bad enough, i call up goergtown to see if my app is under review.. well they lost it! BUt my check clearned like a month ago so im going to have to call them back tom and re do the app.. damnit. oh well just whining

Members don't see this ad.

Oi, now I am afraid to call to find out. They should have had the decency to e-mail or snail mail us so we aren't left hanging.

Keep faith ! :D

I declined an interview offer from them. The schools doesn't look that great. So, don't be sad about being rejected from Albany.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey cheer up it means you won't have to go to your last choice school:)

Originally posted by Dr. Wall$treet
Well on my like 5th call to Albany...im rejected she told me!
Hey guys, just a friendly reminder. Stuff we already know but which is easy to forget in all of this stress...

Don't forget about the human element in this crazy process. Usually there is one key administrative person overseeing the admissions process. If you are a high stats type person, you can get away with a lot. But if you are one in a tall stack of average stats (or worse, an even taller stack of below average stats) then the inclination to toss your file into the 'reject' bin in order to avoid annoying phone calls or because you copped an attitude in one of your communications becomes very high for these overworked folks. And don't think that the deans of admission don't ask for their assistant's feedback on how you conduct yourself.

Just as residents can get you blacklisted during your residency interviews, the 'dragon lady' of the admissions office can be instrumental in just where your application falls in the interview chain or waitlist rank.

They don't owe you anything. If you come off as a pest, or immature, or rude....you probably just bought yourself a rejection. Because there are several hundred applications that look just like yours, but which match up with someone polite and pleasant to deal with.

Just some real life politics. Good luck, all.

Originally posted by womansurg
If you come off as a pest, or immature, or rude....you probably just bought yourself a rejection.
Excellent point womansurg. . . I did however get a wonderful opportunity to be a snot to the hopkins office super-baitch. She didn't even have my name before she started getting all huffy and treating me like a ******. I got a nice little clever snipe in before she hung up. That office is so rude, it is making me lose enthusiasm in the school. :(

maybe i have a way with people but nobody has been rude to me over the phone.

ok, none of this stuff is reassuring, but be aware that no one on here is on an admissions committee and is all knowing. That being said, don't worry about it. Albany was one of the first schools to reject me, and I ended up having 7 interviews and 2 "hold for interview"'s that probably would have been interviews if I'd turned my application in earlier. All of my interviews were at accredited US schools, and 2 were at Top 50. And to the super-sensitive, I am not bragging, just trying to tell this guy that all hope is not lost just b/c you get a rejection from a lower-tier school.

HA womansurg.. i meant my 5th call of the day, which happened to be albany, i defintly didnt call them 5 times pestering, it was my 1st ever call to each school just to make sure my app was complete.
Katie tahnks, i appreciate the hope. i was really bummed but your post makes me feel ALOT better. thanks again!

Katie your post made me feel better too, but only for a second, then I thought about it and I felt good for you, but I realized I am still screwed. :D

X

A good rule of thumb: Treat all admissions secretaries like you would treat a cop who just pulled you over...

"Yes, Mam. No Mam. If it's not too much trouble, Mam. Thank you, Mam."

Swallowng the pride sucks, but it works wonders.