MD Rejected. Now what? (3.56 cGPA, 30 MCAT, 3.68 BCPM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cisretsus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for reading. I would really appreciate your thoughts on my situation.

During the 2014 - 2105 application cycle, my application was verified mid-August. I felt that this was already late in the cycle and became discouraged. I applied to seven schools but completed secondaries for only three of them. Before you tell me anything, I already know how wrong that was.

Two of the schools that I applied to are state schools (Mercer and MCG) where (I feel) my credentials are inline with their average matriculant credentials. I received interviews at both and, after interviewing at both in February, was rejected. I have not yet discussed the rejection with the schools so I am unsure what led to the rejection. I sincerely hope that it was not the interview itself.

Now, I want to try again. With my current credentials, what US MD schools do you think that I have a shot at? Will applying more broadly help? And, are my credentials curently too poor to consider US MD? I am considering re-taking the MCAT but, given the time needed to study, the score wouldn't be released until July.

Basic info: White male, mid-twenties, living in "underserved" Georgia, originally from upstate New York.

GPA: 3.56 cumulative, 3.68 BCPM, 3.33 AO. My first 30 collegiate credit hours amount to a 2.35 GPA. One science credit at a community college: Physics (A). Three if you count Calculus I and II (A and B).

MCAT: 30 - 9/11/10. Wrote 2013. Studied over the summer with scattered marks on official AMCAS practice tests. My highest score was 41, my lowest score 30, average 36. The actual test had several passages in the PS section about topics that I was weak with. Second guessed myself during the BS and changed to wrong answers.

Other: 1000+ hours hospital volunteer; 100+ hours physician shadow; 1000+ hours research (nothing to show for it); 2000+ hours paid employee at a biomedical company in a laboratory setting.

Thoughts? How much will boosting my MCAT in July score help this cycle? I'm willing [edit-- see: I wouldn't mind permanantely relocating. I'm not so worried about where I go to medical school.] to move to another region, especially regions with bustling cities such as Massachusetts, New York, California, Texas, Arizona, and NOLA. I'm not excited to do more research (as a stepping stone to medical school) or take more classes to boost my GPA.

Cute animal tax:

hZ5zMrp.gif

(Not my content-- source here.)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think a big question is if you are a Georgia resident.

Both of those schools are highly selective in-state.

I think a big question is if you are a Georgia resident.

Both of those schools are highly selective in-state.
In the technical sense, yes, I am. In the "where do you see yourself in 20+ years?" sense, not necessarily. However, I never implied as much at the MCG and Mercer interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools where you would have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
MCG
Mercer
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Albany
Commonwealth (PA)
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Rush
Any new private MD schools that open in 2016
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July
You should also consider applying to at least 10 DO schools with the same application timeline. As you already know, there is no guarantee of a MD acceptance.

100% agree. Also consider Wake Forest, VCU, EVMS, MCW, U WV. For DO schools, start with PCOM-GA, the two FL schools, and all three VCOMs, then work outwards.

I suspect that for a GA boy/girl to get rejected from your two state schools, that your interview skills are suspect, unless there's a red flag in your app.

Schools where you would have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
MCG
Mercer
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Albany
Commonwealth (PA)
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Rush
Any new private MD schools that open in 2016
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July

You should also consider applying to at least 10 DO schools with the same application timeline. As you already know, there is no guarantee of a MD acceptance.

Thank you very, very much Faha and Goro. I will ask the schools about my interview and my application as a whole. If the interview was a problem, I will practice.

How much value do you think there is in boosting my MCAT score in July for this cycle? (early June test, scores posted in July.)

Applying to 7 schools with a 3.56/30 is a recipe for reapplicants. You need to apply more broadly and throw some DOs in there: your cGPA is actually below the median for a few of the better DO schools.

I'm a little confused; Is your official state of residency is GA or did you state that you would be in GA for the next 20 years? When you filled out the residency requirement for MCG and Mercer, did you qualify for GA residency?

the fact that you batted .667 on interview invites means you got really, really lucky. the fact that you went 0-for-2 on interviews doesn't really say much, since getting 2 interviews isn't a guarantee you'll be accepted. (not surprised you were rejected from mercer since you're white and presumably didn't show much interest in underserved)

obviously you need to apply much more broadly, this is not even a question. 20 schools minimum. and get your application in early, get verified in june. your MCAT (i think) is going to expire after this next cycle, so keep that in mind.

I see no reason to retake the MCAT. It is competitive for any DO school and you already know you will be able to receive MD interviews with a MCAT of 30. Also, you do not know if your score will go down with a retake which would damage your chances.

Everyone! Thank you so much for responding!! Your input is so helpful to me. I appreciate each of you taking a moment to read, write, and think about my situation. Thank you!!!

Applying to 7 schools with a 3.56/30 is a recipe for reapplicants. You need to apply more broadly and throw some DOs in there: your cGPA is actually below the median for a few of the better DO schools.
Doug, I fully agree with you. Even moreso considering that I really only applied to three schools, as Vain Brother pointed out. My efforts could lead to nothing but a chance in hell.

I'm a little confused; Is your official state of residency is GA or did you state that you would be in GA for the next 20 years? When you filled out the residency requirement for MCG and Mercer, did you qualify for GA residency?
chemguy79! I love chemistry. I am a Georgia resident, was when I applied to Mercer and MCG, and my Georgia residency was confirmed when I applied to Mercer and MCG. I've lived in different places within Georgia for twenty years, outside of Savannah and Atlanta. Georgia is okay, Atlanta is not the greatest city, I like the country (but I'm not necessarily fulfilled there), and I love muscadine grapes (they grow wild here), but I'm not necessarily tied down here.

the fact that you batted .667 on interview invites means you got really, really lucky. the fact that you went 0-for-2 on interviews doesn't really say much, since getting 2 interviews isn't a guarantee you'll be accepted. (not surprised you were rejected from mercer since you're white and presumably didn't show much interest in underserved)

obviously you need to apply much more broadly, this is not even a question. 20 schools minimum. and get your application in early, get verified in june. your MCAT (i think) is going to expire after this next cycle, so keep that in mind.
I hear you Vain Brother. I attribute 2/3 interviews to my state schools likely being willing to give anyone in-state a shot. As for everything else, you've got it. My applications will be submitted on day zero and I will spend my free time from now until then pre-writing secondaries.

I see no reason to retake the MCAT. It is competitive for any DO school and you already know you will be able to receive MD interviews with a MCAT of 30. Also, you do not know if your score will go down with a retake which would damage your chances.
Thanks for responding again, Faha. I really appreciate it. I agree that the possibility that my score could drop is a strong reason to not re-take the MCAT. That is exactly why I didn't retake it after receving what was my lowest score on practice tests.

---

I will return to this thread to update everyone on my progress, and to let others learn from my situation (and perhaps to ask more questions!). Be the best you can be, love life, and stay true!

:)