rejected pre-secondary vcu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabmed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a very upsetting email from VCU that told me the following ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Application Status

The committee's initial screening resulted in a decision not to pursue your file any further. The Committee does not send supplemental applications unless they are confident that the candidate will be competitive within our large applicant pool. Our committee does NOT offer reasons for this action but does suggest that a discussion with your pre-med advisor might be worthwhile.

We wish you the very best with the other schools you have selected.
From the sounds of it I can't really inquire about their decision, however it is really frustrating because I am a VA resident who is retaking the August MCAT (who really wanted to go to VCU). Do you think there is any chance that they will let me fill out the secondary in October if I do better on my MCAT retake?

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to hear that ... stay positive though - we're all going to be facing rejections sooner or later. as to whether an improved mcat will change things, it doesn't sound like it, but that is my uninformed opinion. keep your head up.

I don't know about VCU, but some schools will re-review your file if you request it. Maybe you could send in a request after you get your MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
VCU is one of those schools that looks beyond numbers (from what I understand). Perhaps there are other parts of your application that are not quite as good as they could be?

yeah it's kinda of strange - my application actually does have a lot going for it 'beyond the numbers' (more than with the numbers, haha) -- i'm an inner-city school teacher, volunteer at a clinic, tutor of recent immigrants, researcher at a reputed medical center, etc. ah well i guess life ain't always fair ;) if i do end up doing really well on the mcat maybe i'll contact them again ...

wannabmed said:
yeah it's kinda of strange - my application actually does have a lot going for it 'beyond the numbers' (more than with the numbers, haha) -- i'm an inner-city school teacher, volunteer at a clinic, tutor of recent immigrants, researcher at a reputed medical center, etc. ah well i guess life ain't always fair ;) if i do end up doing really well on the mcat maybe i'll contact them again ...

That is very strange. They gave me a secondary and, well, look at my profile from last year. If it makes you feel any better, the University of Nebraska rejected me pre-secondary already. :oops:

Agh.... bummer. It's going to happen to the best of us. I promise it'll seem funny later.

tacrum43 said:
That is very strange. They gave me a secondary and, well, look at my profile from last year. If it makes you feel any better, the University of Nebraska rejected me pre-secondary already. :oops:

holy moly. tacrum, you've got a great sense of humor you know that (RF phone interview) thanks for sharing your saga with us! can't wait to read the happy ending :)

(btw, who the hell considers a 30P low? :thumbdown: )

crazy_cavalier said:
holy moly. tacrum, you've got a great sense of humor you know that (RF phone interview) thanks for sharing your saga with us! can't wait to read the happy ending :)

(btw, who the hell considers a 30P low? :thumbdown: )

Well, technically she was saying that my MCAT score isn't spectacular, which is true. :) ;)

Glad you liked the transcript. I've been advised by several people to remove it, but I didn't say anything that was untrue and I don't think it would really make anyone mad. Okay, maybe I embellished a bit to make it funnier, but it is still quite accurate.

wannabmed said:
I just received a very upsetting email from VCU that told me the following ...
Application Status

The committee's initial screening resulted in a decision not to pursue your file any further. The Committee does not send supplemental applications unless they are confident that the candidate will be competitive within our large applicant pool. Our committee does NOT offer reasons for this action but does suggest that a discussion with your pre-med advisor might be worthwhile.

We wish you the very best with the other schools you have selected.
From the sounds of it I can't really inquire about their decision, however it is really frustrating because I am a VA resident who is retaking the August MCAT (who really wanted to go to VCU). Do you think there is any chance that they will let me fill out the secondary in October if I do better on my MCAT retake?

I applied to VCU last cycle and I'm sure I remember that someone who got rejected pre-secondary but was re-taking the MCAT got them to reverse their decision until after his/her new score came out. Wouldn't hurt to try!