Rejected this cycle and REAPPLYING WHAT TO DO???!!!!????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedapplicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I assume there are some people with similar situations.

I took the MCAT Aug 14, got PS 11 BS 13 VR 11 WS R so I figured I was a shoe in...amcas didn't verify until october...then I was late with my secondaries (breaking up is hard to do)

All to say I didn't get one freaking interview! BTW my cGPA is a 3.3 sGPA is 3.7 have research experience (departmental honors) and over 200 hours volunteering...

Anyway, I graduated in the fall...I've been looking for work but nothing is firm just yet, and at this point I'm beginning to get ready to re-apply for the 2010-2011 cycle...I did a certification in phlebotomy course tho and am hoping this assistant research position will be mine in a couple days...

So my question is, what do I do??? Nothing significant has changed in my records or grades etc but I will be applying earlier this year...

Thoughts? Experience? Ideas? Am I screwed? I just want to be a Dr...I want to get in!! Ahh!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

I took the MCAT Aug 14, got PS 11 BS 13 VR 11 WS R so I figured I was a shoe in...amcas didn't verify until october...then I was late with my secondaries (breaking up is hard to do)

All to say I didn't get one freaking interview! BTW my cGPA is a 3.3 sGPA is 3.7 have research experience (departmental honors) and over 200 hours volunteering...

Anyway, I graduated in the fall...I've been looking for work but nothing is firm just yet, and at this point I'm beginning to get ready to re-apply for the 2010-2011 cycle...I did a certification in phlebotomy course tho and am hoping this assistant research position will be mine in a couple days...

So my question is, what do I do??? Nothing significant has changed in my records or grades etc but I will be applying earlier this year...

Thoughts? Experience? Ideas? Am I screwed? I just want to be a Dr...I want to get in!! Ahh!!!!

BTW Grades
FR 1.83
SP 3.34
JR 3.71
SR 3.74

You seem to be average or below average by SDN standards. I wouldn't think of yourself as a "shoe-in" anywhere. The MCAT is just one part of the application. You need to apply early next time and might want to improve your GPA or do a post-bacc.

Hey

BTW Grades
FR 1.83
SP 3.34
JR 3.71
SR 3.74

Well, you're not screwed. Find something interesting to do that improves your application and apply again. If you like the research assistant position, that could be fine.

A 35 MCAT doesn't make you a shoe-in, it does however, mean places are more likely to take you seriously. I would think you'd need to discuss your FR grades at some point, a 1.83 is rather low. Obviously, you turned it around, but if I was reading your application and you didn't talk about it, I'd definitely be concerned. Course, always stress the positives. Additionally, your application was very late, this can really, really hurt you. If you apply again, make sure to do it as early in the cycle if you can. If you can submit that primary in June and get most of the secondaries out by July, you'll be in a much better place come interview time!

However, you've only given us the briefest snapshot of your life/resume/application, so it's difficult for me to say with accuracy what the best path is. I would point out, that there is nothing I notice in what you've shared here that would bar you from medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP,

If I were you, I would take some time to wallow and maybe grab a drink. After this period, look proactively to the future. That freshman year really hurt you, and if you're applying out of college, the standard is going to be a lot higher.

Take a year to get a job in the health-care and maybe take some undergraduate courses to up that GPA, and apply early before your MCAT scores become invalid.

peace.

Hey

BTW Grades
FR 1.83
SP 3.34
JR 3.71
SR 3.74

Would it be alright to ask how many schools and which ones you applied to? Out of curiosity

What's your overall GPA, OP? You also applied really late; you'd probably have had more success applying early.

(Also, shoo-in not shoe-in.)

Maybe retake classes and apply DO as well, that is always an option if you don't mind the difference in letters behind your name. There will still be a Dr. in front of your name though.

what schools did you apply to? why dont you use your phlebotomy training for something? you can work as a phlebotomist and get some hospital/medical hours there. apply earlier for sure....that hurt you....i feel you...it killed me as well.

also, there is no such thing as a shoe in for medical school. just fyi. i've seen/heard of 4.0 40s getting rejected at state schools. it happens.

GL

edit: also, how strong are you LORs? is it possible that perhaps one wrote unfavorably about you?

In the last year you've hopefully raised your cGPA, added to your research, and increased your clinical experience (which you said was only for six months in a previous post). If you didn't have physician shadowing, that should have been amended by now. If you have any leadership, teaching, hobbies, sports, artistic endeavors, and nonmedical volunteering, listing some of these would help you too. Probably you just need to submit your application in June. If you have not spent the last six months improving your application, being otherwise unemployed, that would be not be good. Your numbers are enough to get you past initial screening of the application. After that your ECs and LORs make or break you.

Looking at your old posts, it looks like you may have had a downward grade trend before applying. This would have hurt you too. If true, consider taking more coursework to reverse the impression that gives, and even waiting another year to apply to strengthen your application.

Last edited:
OP, no one is a "shoe-in" no matter one's stats, but the overall impression of your application is VERY important. We can't know what your PS stated, what your letter writers said about you, nor can we really compare you to other applicants with "just numbers" (though many would love if success were purely numbers driven for obvious reasons).

The key if you decide to reapply will be the SDN matra "apply EARLY and apply BROADLY."

Choose some schools that fall within the range of your scores, but don't be afraid to pick some that seem like a reach and some where you beat their avg. scores. No matter how weak or strong your application, it matters not if you apply too late.

:luck:

The late application and low overall GPA killed your app.

If you applied earlier and more broadly (a guess on this one) then you might have had better luck.

You have a great MCAT but it cant make up entirely for lateness and GPA-issues

I'm interested to know your school list and "how late is late" regarding completion at schools (Oct, Nov, Dec)?

You application is competitive.

I think what killed your chances is applying late with those stats. Please apply broadly and plentiful the first day the cycle opens and you should be fine. Add those improvements though because now you are considered a reapplicant and some schools will ask you how is your application differnt now. You will do fine this time around. maybe you can even take a class like Biochemistry especially since some schools require it anyway.

Good luck you will be class of 2015

Thanks for all the feedback...

In the past six months, I continued my Honors Research with my PI (which was looking at Parkinsons and may lead to a publication) and I graduated finally. My cGPA is pretty much a 3.3 becuase I have over 180 credits worth of courses haha. I continued volunteering and have over 200 hours now. I stopped after graduating in January and have been looking for work ever since.

I wasn't trying to sound like "I'm a shoo-in", you see my pre-med advisors told me to apply last cycle even though I was late becuase my MCAT was 'so good'...so NOW I'm hoping I didn't just screw myself, becuase nothing that signifcant has changed since September 15 when I submitted to AMCAS.

Either way I'm going to begin either phlebotomy or this research assistant program...But I need my app in way early so there isn't much time.

My committee letter was stellar, my PI also wrote it and showed it to me haha, against the rules I know but it was great!

I think at this point my biggest concern is my PS, and if I should scrap the old one and start fresh? Anybody have any thoughts on that? I know its hard not reading the old one, is it possible anyone knows a good PS writing service??

Additionally, someone mentioned shadowing, is that worth doing even at this point? I've done volunteering in the ED, cardiology and pathology, and will hopefully be working as either an assistant researcher or phlebotomist...

Schools I applied to (and I was late for the primary Oct 3 it was verified by AMCAS and my secondaries didn't go out until November or December b/c I was in the midst of a breakup and had to move)

Columbia
Cornell
MSSM
AESOM
Yale
BU
Tufts
Stanford
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
UCSF
UCSD

Schools I applied to (and I was late for the primary Oct 3 it was verified by AMCAS and my secondaries didn't go out until November or December b/c I was in the midst of a breakup and had to move)

Columbia
Cornell
MSSM
AESOM
Yale
BU
Tufts
Stanford
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
UCSF
UCSD

Your list is way too top heavy. What state are you from? You need to include a lot more "safety" schools.

Thanks for all the feedback...

In the past six months, I continued my Honors Research with my PI (which was looking at Parkinsons and may lead to a publication) and I graduated finally. My cGPA is pretty much a 3.3 becuase I have over 180 credits worth of courses haha. I continued volunteering and have over 200 hours now. I stopped after graduating in January and have been looking for work ever since.

I wasn't trying to sound like "I'm a shoo-in", you see my pre-med advisors told me to apply last cycle even though I was late becuase my MCAT was 'so good'...so NOW I'm hoping I didn't just screw myself, becuase nothing that signifcant has changed since September 15 when I submitted to AMCAS.

Either way I'm going to begin either phlebotomy or this research assistant program...But I need my app in way early so there isn't much time.

My committee letter was stellar, my PI also wrote it and showed it to me haha, against the rules I know but it was great!

I think at this point my biggest concern is my PS, and if I should scrap the old one and start fresh? Anybody have any thoughts on that? I know its hard not reading the old one, is it possible anyone knows a good PS writing service??

Additionally, someone mentioned shadowing, is that worth doing even at this point? I've done volunteering in the ED, cardiology and pathology, and will hopefully be working as either an assistant researcher or phlebotomist...

Columbia
Cornell
MSSM
AESOM
Yale
BU
Tufts
Stanford
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
UCSF
UCSD

Your gpa isn't that bad, I think you will have much more luck this year (IF YOU APPLY EARLY). Additionally, your schools are way to top heavy. You have the MCAT score but your gpa is far too low for Yale, Cornell, Stanford, etc. I would add some more mid-tier schools and add more safety schools to the bolded ones.

I'm guessing you are a Cali resident (if not take out UCSF & UCSD). If you are add UCD, UCLA, UCI, USC.

Your list is way too top heavy. What state are you from? You need to include a lot more "safety" schools.
Yeah... yikes, man. Definitely broaden your list to more schools that aren't so competitive. Get thee to an MSAR.