Rejected--where to improve? Pursue MPH and/or reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scherbatsky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a little advice about what to do next, seeing as I haven't received any interview invitations yet I'm assuming the handful of schools I haven't heard from are silent rejections.

I'm a Canadian applicant and applied to about 12 American MD schools and a few Canadian ones. I'm currently on one waitlist at a Canadian school. I'm a little surprised that I haven't had any interviews in the States, so I was hoping you all could see if I had any holes in my application.

My stats: 31Q balanced MCAT, 3.81 cGPA/sGPA
ECs: -TA for 1.5 years
-volunteer in lab for 2 years (~5 hrs/week)
-interned/shadowed in genetics clinic for 8 months, worked there full-time for 4 months
-volunteered in kids hospital over 4 years
-volunteered abroad at a clinic for 3 weeks
-some tutoring and one-day volunteer things here and there
I think my Personal Statement was good and have no idea about my reference letters.

This year I had the year off and have been taking a painting course, continuing my volunteer work at the hospital 2x per week, worked part-time for 3 months running after-school programs for kids, and auditing a class "for fun".

Anyway, assuming I don't get into med this cycle, I'm wondering what to do next. I've been accepted to an MPH program, which I think I'll accept. Should I apply to MD/DO schools again this June? If I do, would I defer a year to finish my MPH or just leave after 1st year of my MPH for med? Or should I just take the year off from applying to med and just do my MPH? Please advise, I'm so confused! Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a little advice about what to do next, seeing as I haven't received any interview invitations yet I'm assuming the handful of schools I haven't heard from are silent rejections.

I'm a Canadian applicant and applied to about 12 American MD schools and a few Canadian ones. I'm currently on one waitlist at a Canadian school. I'm a little surprised that I haven't had any interviews in the States, so I was hoping you all could see if I had any holes in my application.

-interned/shadowed in genetics clinic for 8 months, worked there full-time for 4 months
I think my Personal Statement was good and have no idea about my reference letters.

This year I had the year off and have been taking a painting course, continuing my volunteer work at the hospital 2x per week, worked part-time for 3 months running after-school programs for kids, and auditing a class "for fun".

Anyway, assuming I don't get into med this cycle, I'm wondering what to do next. I've been accepted to an MPH program, which I think I'll accept. Should I apply to MD/DO schools again this June? If I do, would I defer a year to finish my MPH or just leave after 1st year of my MPH for med? Or should I just take the year off from applying to med and just do my MPH? Please advise, I'm so confused! Thanks!:)

Well, your MPH is two years right? Arguably one of the best schools (financially and acceptance wise) is MSUCOM. It's a DO school and offers an MPH in one year (+ extra classes during Med School), an offer open to all of its Medical Students.

Seeing as how you're not counting on an acceptance this year, my suggestion wouldn't save you any time. But it might save you some money (as opposed to paying for two years of an MPH.)

Good luck

Could be the way you are writing activites maybe? Another thing we should know is what schools did you apply to? Maybe broaden your selection....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely check out MSUCOM. Yes, the MPH I was accepted to is 2 years. I guess I was wondering whether it's worth applying to MD/DO schools this upcoming cycle or to wait until I have a year of grad school grades and experiences under my belt.

I found it a little difficult to find "Canadian-friendly" schools but I applied to:
-Rosalind Franklin
-GWU
-Jefferson
-MCW
-NYMC
-SLU
-Wayne State
-AECOM
-MSU
-Penn State
-SUNY Upstate

Damn, Canadians got it hard.
When did you sent in your AMCAS?
I would try and get more leadership and research.

Damn, Canadians got it hard.
When did you sent in your AMCAS?
I would try and get more leadership and research.

We sure do! I sent my AMCAS in at the end of July. Thanks, I can see how I might be lacking in the leadership department.

I found it a little difficult to find "Canadian-friendly" schools but I applied to:
-Rosalind Franklin
-GWU
-Jefferson
-MCW
-NYMC
-SLU
-Wayne State
-AECOM
-MSU
-Penn State
-SUNY Upstate

Well, you do not have any safety schools that I can see...but you are strong for most of those schools in GPA...but the MCAT is average for them. SUNY upstate is not OOS friendly.

I think the MPH is an excellent way forward, and reapply with 2013 cycle. Also, I think you could really benefit from having a leadership, award, and strong non-clinical activity...you are really close though...nice work on your excellent GPA!

That Johnny Romanes guy is right.

We sure do! I sent my AMCAS in at the end of July. Thanks, I can see how I might be lacking in the leadership department.

Also, submit your app as close to June 1st as you possibly can. Submitting at the end of July probably caused you to wait until end August/early September for verification. Sending in your secondaries after this point is on the late end of average timing. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely check out MSUCOM. Yes, the MPH I was accepted to is 2 years. I guess I was wondering whether it's worth applying to MD/DO schools this upcoming cycle or to wait until I have a year of grad school grades and experiences under my belt.

Yeah, it's a good program. You can choose to do it between 1st and 2nd year of pre-clerkship. It's a nice change of pace. I myself am thinking of doing it (you can decide in year 1)

I'm surprised MSU wasn't on your Canadian friendly list. There are lots of people on that school specific thread who are Canadian and have been accepted. There are incentives and scholarships specifically for Canadians. Do check it out.

Best of luck

Well, you do not have any safety schools that I can see...but you are strong for most of those schools in GPA...but the MCAT is average for them. SUNY upstate is not OOS friendly.

I think the MPH is an excellent way forward, and reapply with 2013 cycle. Also, I think you could really benefit from having a leadership, award, and strong non-clinical activity...you are really close though...nice work on your excellent GPA!

That Johnny Romanes guy is right.

Thanks, alexrgross. I've heard different things about whether SUNY Upstate is Canadian-friendly or not, a fellow Canadian friend of mine is on their waitlist at the moment. Just to clarify, did you suggest reapplying this upcoming cycle for the 2013 entering class, or to apply in 2013?

Yeah, it's a good program. You can choose to do it between 1st and 2nd year of pre-clerkship. It's a nice change of pace. I myself am thinking of doing it (you can decide in year 1)

I'm surprised MSU wasn't on your Canadian friendly list. There are lots of people on that school specific thread who are Canadian and have been accepted. There are incentives and scholarships specifically for Canadians. Do check it out.

Best of luck

HotandCold, I'm not sure you understand my situation. I won't be doing a concurrent MPH/MD or MPH/DO as I'll be beginning an MPH in the fall.

I did apply to MSU's MD program, but did not apply to any DO programs last cycle. I appreciate the suggestion of MSUCOM, it does look very Canadian-friendly.