1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Rejected Why?????????????????

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by dentistree, May 7, 2008.

1. dentistree

Pre-Dental
    Part I- 87 ( old dec2006)
    PART 11- 82 ( MAY 2007 )
    TOEFL - 93 Ibt , 247 cbt
    GPA 2.95 ece
    Experience 2 years

I had applied to nyu, Colorado and Milwaukee
    Had gone for interview for NYU got rejected, no call for interview at Milwaukee and colorado( rejected) . I have seen people with lower stats than this getting interview as well as admission on this forum , then why not me???? guys please please help me out, what should i do now so that i get admission at least in the next cycle. I want lots of advice on what to do next....???
    PLEASE PLEASE reply soon.......

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hellorose

hellorose New Member

Dental Student
    hi ,
    even though there can be various reasons for rejection I would suggest you giving ur toefl again and trying to score above 100 and while waiting maybe doing some assisting/observation in US
    applying to many more place could even help

4. pdoll

Dentist
    did colorado send u a rejection letter? when did u recieve it?

5. NileBDS

NileBDS SDNator
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    Rejection is a very healthy part of the application. If you can't take the heat, don't stand in the kitchen. I know it gets a bit depressing after you've had like 3 in a row, but hang in there. The competition will weed out the ill and weak spirited.

On a more serious note, I would definitely re-take TOEFL and seriously consider re-taking your Part I. Otherwise, start getting creative in finding ways to gain clinical experience here in the US.

Good Luck.

6. dentheartthrob

dentheartthrob DreamDMDweaver

not to sound intrusive, but I've read posts written from the past by you indicating your stats. And with no disrespect, what separated you (in your opinion) from the other applicants when your scores aren't as impressive as others here? Again this isn't anyway, to humilate you, but I'm just hoping to gain insight on how I can have a more solid application. Thanks

7. dentistree

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the valuable information Nile bds and hell rose... it would be nice if we could all discuss this topic more after we get rejected..... dental hr..thr..i was telling you guys about my stats because people with less score than me have got interview at colorado and aceptance at nyu.. i know my stats are not very impressive but, still i should have got a chance too... pdoll i got the rejection via email... like nile bds told this is all in the path for becoming a dentist in usa.. i will never give up as you said
    Thanks for replying guys

8. Hopeful08

Dentist
    I know it can be quite depressive but don't lose faith in your dream. Keep on fighting. I would suggest that you call NYU or any of the schools you have applied in the past and ask them what you can do to strenghten your application. That will show them how determined you are. If you live near one of those schools I think you should ask to meet personnally with the admission director. Even volunteer some free time to help at the school. That will eventually get you to know some people. Sometimes it can be just a matter of WHO YOU KNOW after you have done all you could.
    Hope this helps.

9. pdoll

Dentist
    thanks for ure reply. i am sailing in the dilemma boat. till today i hav not recieved one communication from colorado. nether application complete, netiehr rejection, watilist or interview. and reading all this here is making me go crazyy with the wait. is there anybody like me here/??? no communication recieved whatsoever/??

10. dentalsmile

I know its easy for us to give advices, but as most of us here have gone through a tough situation like yours, i have only one thing to say that...the schools overhere look for something extraordinary in students...something special...do something like dental assisting or researches or some course related to dentistry-certifications,residencies- and maintain a very good GPA in that course( above 3.5)...you can apply to schools meanwhile and send them proofs of ur excellence...with this the admission commitee will know that ur really determined and very interested in dentistry...i feel that repeating examz is waste of time(u can repeat TOEFL though, as most schools look for scores over 100)...there are a lot of ftd's i know who have retaken the nbde exams but have got lower scores the 2nd time....believe me i am not trying to discourage you...i hope u understand...the 3 univs u applied are not from the same region also, so with this i understand that there is no relocation problem with you...so apply to all the schools that you are eligible to apply to... i hope u take this advice in a friendly manner...wishing u the very best !!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

11. akg

akg Member

Dental Student
    i have the same sentiments too...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i think dentistree should apply more schools ...

GPA might have played the spoilsport at NYU

milwaukee has very few seats ergo chances are bleak

Colorado....may be lack of US experience and TOEFL below requirements...

next cycle apply every where....never give up..no need to retake NBDE part 1...just your TOEFL should be improved....

best wishes:thumbup::thumbup:

12. guru0101

Dentist
    hi akg, i saw your post in colorado interview, I also got waitlisted for colorado interview. do you know how many people are on waitlist,N if you don't mind tell me your plan.

13. akg

akg Member

Dental Student
    I don't know how many are waitlisted...

I am not waiting for Colorado interview call..

I am accepted at NYU and attending it from next month..

hope this helps

14. NileBDS

NileBDS SDNator
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist

dentheart,

No worries. I am glad to answer questions like these, and even more proud to say that my stats prior to getting accepted to my IDS program at Pacific were average at best.

For the record, my stats were
    NBDE I: 81
    NBDE II: 82
    GPA: 2.9
    TOEFL: 272 (CBT)

Humility is a good thing ...

I like to point out my stats whenever possible, obviously not to brag about them, but to show future applicants THAT SCHOOLS DO NOT PICK APPLICANTS WITH COOKIE CUTTER SPECIFICATIONS. You do not absolutely need to have: 3.4 GPA, 90+ % part I, 120 TOEFL to get accepted (unless you have no soul :smuggrin:). There is no ideal applicant checklist. True, the higher the score the better, but that does not eliminate your chances if you're not one of those people. Some of us (myself included) do not have the luxury of sitting home all day for 6 months with the sole purpose of studying for part I. I had a full time job at the time, and had only 2 months to prepare for my exam to make the schools application deadline.

To answer your questions, and I apologize in advance for sounding cliche', what did it for me was:

1. 2+ years a chair side expanded function assistant (very strong recommendations from that office helped too)

2. Good communication skills (from working in a dental office, being constantly exposed to patients)

3. Very well thought personal letter

4. Dedication and perseverance. During the first round of applications to IDS programs, I did not get one single interview. How about that ? 8 rejections, one to follow the other ... sometimes two at once.
    The second round, I got 3 interviews out of 11. Out of the 3 I interviewed at, I got one rejection, one waitlist and one acceptance. Let me tell you that I was ready to apply again, after re-taking my part 1 if I had not gotten in that year either

5. Absolutely nailed the interview (both clinical and personal)

Good Luck. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

15. g3k

g3k SDN Donor

Dental Student
    Not just that you did an AEGD too. I remember you having a lot more on your plate. The sides help a ton. Your personality in itself (communicaed through your personal statement) would have landed the interview and the acceptance.

On a side note - How are you doing Sherif? School gets to be monotonous after a point.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. dentistree

Pre-Dental
    The admission comity have given me red signal this year, but the words of advice and support from you guys have made me feel the importance to improve. i had lost my hopes and was dejected. This year i am going to improve my cv and hopefully get the admission green signal this year..
    Thanks once again everyone for taking your time for replying...
    i hope the discussion continues here on why people get rejected????

18. Ethos

Dental Student
    U were declined because ur toefl ibt is 93,,, NO application was considered in Colorado with toefl less than 95 ibt... and im not assuming.. im sure 100%..

19. pdha1

Dental Student
    Hi Neilbds
    I have noticed you always post very helpful & encouraging posts.Thanks! It hepls especially to people like us who haev been declined of interviews & slammed with rejections.

20. pdha1

Dental Student
    Hi Neilbds
    I have noticed you always post very helpful & encouraging posts.Thanks! It hepls especially to people like us who haev been declined of interviews & slammed with rejections.
    I was rejectred by Colorado.
    my status is
    NBDE 1-85
    NBDE 2-76
    TOEFL-96
    AACROA-3.6
    Visa- green card
    6 mths of observership in dental clinic
    Involved in research till now( volunteer) at univ of FL.
    i don't know what more i can do to improve my status.
    I feel treeible!!