Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBJeffries

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ouch, I was just rejected from Stanford without a secondary. I am a little surprised because my stats are pretty darn good, or at least good enough to garner an interview at another top 10 school. Is it it honestly supposed to be more difficult to receive a secondary from Stanford, than get an interview at another great school? My MCAT writing sample is pretty lousy, I admit, but no other school seems to care. Was this the downfall in my application to Stanford? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I too got rejected from Stanford with no secondary and decent stats. I think they are an absolute crapshoot. They either want 3.9 GPA and 38+ MCAT, or someone who has not so good stats but has brought peace to the middle east, found bin Laden, and cured the common cold.

They either want 3.9 GPA and 38+ MCAT, or someone who has not so good stats but has brought peace to the middle east, found bin Laden, and cured the common cold.

Well thats just it. My numbers are good, but the thing that I was hoping would get me over the hump with some of the better schools was my extracirricular stuff. Not a ton of clinical work, but I kept myself extremely busy with some really cool and unique things. Things I thought places like Stanford would love. Oh well, I will stop whining now, I just needed to vent. If anyone knows whether or not Stanford places a lot of weight on the writing sample, I would appreciate hearing so.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got a secondary with an N in the writing sample and my friend got one with an M.

sorry, it looks like they dont care about the sample either.
less than 50% of applicants get a secondary so i really wouldn't take it personally.

I got a secondary with a P on the writing sample.

A buddy of mine didn't get any love from Stanford but got accepted to UCLA School of Medicine. There is something in particular they are looking for. Maybe ECs with under-served populations. I know my friend was pretty active but had zero activities that would qualifiy him as working with disadvanated populations. I'm sure if we were allowed to screen through the people who got a secondary we would find a common denominator.

I'm not sure what the deal with Stanford is. I got a secondary in August with a 3.3 GPA (maybe because I was verified early?) yet have heard nothing since. My writing sample was an R.

Andrew

Thanks for the info guys.

Thanks for the input, Bruin4life, but I don't think that lack of service to the underprivileged was a serious weak point in my application. I have spent a month volunteering (non-clinical) at an Indian reservation in Oregon, an impoverished area in Appalachia, and in a black township in South Africa. Any other thoughts?

I received a secondary with a mediocre GPA, a strong MCAT (although I got an M on the writing sample), some decent extricurricular (Peace Corps and other long-term volunteer activities), a little research, and no clinical work.

Did you have any research activities?

When were you in South Africa?

I deleted my last post because I was afraid it sounded a little too self righteous. I figure I should just shut up, grin and bear it.

Thanks for all the input folks.

Sorry to hear that when they tossed the primaries up in the air, yours landed on the left side of the room. :(

mpp! Just the person I was looking for...I've been wondering if there were any RPCV's on SDN...do you think we could chat about your peace corps experience? I'm leaving for the Peace Corps in June and would love to hear stories and how you combined that with applying to med school.

Originally posted by Monkeyrunner:
•I think they are an absolute crapshoot. They either want 3.9 GPA and 38+ MCAT, or someone who has not so good stats but has brought peace to the middle east, found bin Laden, and cured the common cold.•••

In all honesty, I think Monkeyrunner hit it perfectly. Just looking at the applications of my friends who did or did not get secondaries and interviews, as well as other applicants who were invited to interview (my boss last year was a faculty interviewer), it really was impossible to find a real common denominator.

none's theory was quite good as well. :)

If you are seriously bothered by the rejection, and would really like to attend Stanford, it's probably worthwhile to contact the Dean or the Admissions Office and appeal the decision -- you have nothiing to lose at this point, and can only gain. Good luck.

Sorry about the rejection. you'll be surprised at how small a role the MCAT plays after the interview cut. I got a meagre 33S on my MCAT and I've been accepted to every school I've interviewed; and in all honesty I doubt that my acceptance streak is coming to an end any time soon. However if it does, you can be sure that I'll post up the sorry news on this site. Next stop WashU. We'll see.

Originally posted by Original:
•I've been accepted to every school I've interviewed; and in all honesty I doubt that my acceptance streak is coming to an end any time soon.•••

What an interesting thing to say in a thread entitled "Rejected!"

Andrew

I'm glad you found it interesting! I was attempting to give some constructive analysis without being too presomptuous. No better way to do that than with examples. I did offer my sympathies for the rejection; but then I would hardly ever stop at that. High stats can work against an applicant just as easily as they can work for them. I should perhaps have finished by saying the interviewS will come but then it's hardly game over after they do.

Enjoy!

Original I'm glad you found it interesting! I was attempting to give some constructive analysis without being too presomptuous. No better way to do that than with examples. I did offer my sympathies for the rejection; but then I would hardly ever stop at that. High stats can work against an applicant just as easily as they can work for them. I should perhaps have finished by saying the interviewS will come but then it's hardly game over after they do.
Enjoy!

What? Anyways, no offense taken, I kind of understand what you're trying to say.

By the way, KU would have destroyed Duke in Hawaii if half their team wasn't injured during the Ball State anomaly. Wake Forest Beware!! :eek:

Hey LBJeffries: I'm glad you understand me and you didn't take my posts in the wrong way :) . But hey I must give my props to KU those guys have the potential to destroy any team. However Duke's Williams, Boozer, and Ewing combination seems immortal ;) I watched them annihilate Clemenson a few nights ago. Yep Wake is probably never going to wake up from the coma the Blue Devils will put them in.

Hey LB! You're the only one that understands me. I dont know what I'll do without you men! :) Good luck with the process.

Enjoy!

Originally posted by Original:
I've been accepted to every school I've interviewed; and in all honesty I doubt that my acceptance streak is coming to an end any time soon.

Hard to believe your posts anymore, dude.

Hey I'm sorry to tell you this; but it doesn't matter in the slightest whether or not you believe my posts. I couldn't care less. I'm saying this in good spirits so please dont get offended.

Enjoy!

Hey "nochaser," is that a Thelonius Monk reference?

A shiny penny to whomever can figure out my handel, and why I chose it.