Rejecting med schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeripateticMD

Peripatetic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've prioritized withdrawing as quickly as possible to quicken the app process (i figure it's slow enough on it's own), and i just withdrew one more interview (BU), which means i've now rejected an equal number of schools (actually more) than the number that have officially rejected me (though i'm waiting for NYU's letter):

Withdrawn from:
UCLA/Drew (didn't do secondary)
NYMC (post invite)
BU (post invite)
SLU (post invite)
Tulane (post invite)

Rejected me:
Georgetown
Stanford
Columbia
NYU

up in air... Tufts, Harvard, Yale, UCI (will most likely withdraw from Tufts, and wait for HMS and YMS rejections)

Yay for withdrawing! (doesn't it somehow feel like a waste of money though... i can't help but feel that i've paid them hundred(s) of dollars to judge me)

Members don't see this ad.

I find it hard withdrawing, even though I know I won't choose that school over others I've been accepted at.... Just something about the finality of withdrawing the app, I guess....

At the same time, it's refreshing because it narrows my list, getting me closer & closer to a final decision...

Anyways, just withdrew from another school... here's to narrowing the list!

I find it hard withdrawing, even though I know I won't choose that school over others I've been accepted at.... Just something about the finality of withdrawing the app, I guess....

At the same time, it's refreshing because it narrows my list, getting me closer & closer to a final decision...

Anyways, just withdrew from another school... here's to narrowing the list!

How do you withdraw? Send a nice email explaining or just saying "I'm withdrawing" or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
i actually called in the last one ... but it makes me INCREDIBLY nervous. usually, i send an email saying something like, "I have received some acceptances and will no longer be accepting interview offers. (or I will no longer be interviewing, depending on if I was invited). Thank you for your consideration." Generally they never get back to you. It is final. You send it in, they delete you from their pile, someone else gets put in, it's a beautiful process.

I totally understand that it's hard, it's hard for me to, but i'm trying to be realistic (which is also hard sometimes), and there's just schools i know i wouldn't choose over Vandy or USC... now just waiting to hear replies from other schools, so i can withdraw more :).

How do you withdraw? Send a nice email explaining or just saying "I'm withdrawing" or what?

AAMC rules state that you have to withdraw in writing (letter or email; basically not a phone call) by May 15 from all schools who have offered you an acceptance. I was wondering, though, what do we do with the schools who haven't given us the time of day, even into the summer (Uh, Davis anyone?). Are we obligated to formally withdraw?

I just send a brief, nice email. Something to the effect of, "Hi, Due to a change in personal circumstances, I am writing to withdraw my app from X School of Medicine. Thanks for your consideration."

The "change in personal circumstances" is quite broad (got accepted elsewhere? decided can't move to the state? etc.). In one, however, I did state that I did not feel that I was a good match for the school.

Usually I get some kind of confirmation (mostly it's been really delayed paper confirmations snail mailed to me), but also sometimes email confirmations. Only one school has been "pissy" and never got back to me - period. And that was a school I emailed and called to let them know of my decision.
:luck:
Yes, it's hard, but I feel like the closure is good. I, too, would pick my current acceptances over the schools I am withdrawing from, and so I feel like once I'm certain of that I should withdraw... Good karma, or something....

Here's wishing everyone GL with the apps and decisions!!!

AAMC rules state that you have to withdraw in writing (letter or email; basically not a phone call) by May 15 from all schools who have offered you an acceptance. I was wondering, though, what do we do with the schools who haven't given us the time of day, even into the summer (Uh, Davis anyone?). Are we obligated to formally withdraw?

I don't believe you HAVE to formally withdraw from schools that haven't offered you an interview/acceptance. It's just polite, once you're sure you're headed somewhere else, to let them know so that they can take your app out of the "still under consideration" pile. :)

PS. I hear ya on the Davis situation!

yeah, i'm pretty sure the 'in writing' thing is if you've been accepted (the May 15th date corresponds to when you have to choose between the schools you've been accepted to). If I have an interview, I just cancel it. If I've been accepted, I just don't send in my intent to matriculate (GWU says the offer expires on Jan 24th, I was just going to let it expire - is that okay?).

oh geeez. can u people go away....;) just kiddinggggg

yeah, i'm pretty sure the 'in writing' thing is if you've been accepted (the May 15th date corresponds to when you have to choose between the schools you've been accepted to). If I have an interview, I just cancel it. If I've been accepted, I just don't send in my intent to matriculate (GWU says the offer expires on Jan 24th, I was just going to let it expire - is that okay?).

If they've accepted you, I'm pretty sure you have to formally withdraw in writing (listed on the AAMC website; can't remember where).

Yeah I withdrew from a TON once I had an acceptance. It was stupidity on my part - I shouldn't have applied to so many. It was almost $1000 I would have saved by not applying to the ones I withdrew from.

As far as how to, I wrote a letter saying:

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to withdraw my application for the "name of school" class of 2011. Thank you very much for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Alwaysaangel

Its just safer to write a REAL letter as some request that you send a letter or fax (they want your signature). Written letter is just the safest bet.

you were officially rejected from columbia? i didn't think they'd rejected anyone yet...

I requested my rejection. I was/am out of the country and was coming to NYC and asked them about my status, they sent me a very nice rejection.

PS: I withdrew from Tufts today.