Rejection after an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most people who have had an interview get waitlisted if not accepted after an interview? Does anyone know the general trend on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Do most people who have had an interview get waitlisted if not accepted after an interview? Does anyone know the general trend on this?

if ur rejected after an interview... that means they REALLY didnt like u

if ur rejected after an interview... that means they REALLY didnt like u

I REALLY don't like it when people say "ur."

It depends on the school. I think state schools tend to reject more and private schools tend to waitlist more. But that could be a personal impression.

Members don't see this ad :)
I REALLY don't like it when people say "ur."

It depends on the school. I think state schools tend to reject more and private schools tend to waitlist more. But that could be a personal impression.

o welcome back hun
thanks for ur input

omg ur crazy lol

We DO reject some people right after an interview. This is mainly due to rudeness, very poor social skills, candidate does not match AMCAS application (someone else wrote the personal statement or filled out secondary) or something that we find in the AMCAS file that we didn't have before the interview was scheduled. If we find something in the AMCAS or if something comes to light and we have already invited you for an interview, we will ask you to explain whatever we have found. If your explanation is not good enough, the you would be rejected.

We do try to waitlist those folks that we do not have a slot for and slide them into slots as other decline acceptance. That is why May 15th is a huge moving date for my school and most schools.

There are no trends for rejection after an interview but there are reasons as stated above. Inteview does not always equal immediate acceptance or waitlist. My estimate would be that about 10% of those we interview would be rejected post interview. We tend to not have much of a waitlist.

Aw man, I just bumped this thread to add that these really sting. That is all.

I have been rejected post interview twice now. For both schools, the interviewers gave me the impression that I did well and should pick the school if accepted.

My take for me personally, I was so bad that they decided to lie to my face.

Thus far,
5 Interviews-2 rejections, 1 WL, 2 Pending.......

I just got one that surprised me. I thought my interview went well, and I thought my interviewer liked me. I'm the type of person that obsesses about what he says and how the interviewer took/interpretted it, and I still rated my interview performance as a 9/10. I had no lies, or even exaggerations on my AMCAS applications and wrote all my essays and personal statements.

For these reasons I was really pissed to get rejected. If a school is not willing to look past flaws that are clearly stated pre-interview in the application, why waste my time with an interview? Why waste their time on an interview? It was very demoralizing and has really turned me bitter to the whole process. I'm not a perfect candidate, but there is no reason to play such games.

I just got one that surprised me. I thought my interview went well, and I thought my interviewer liked me. I'm the type of person that obsesses about what he says and how the interviewer took/interpretted it, and I still rated my interview performance as a 9/10. I had no lies, or even exaggerations on my AMCAS applications and wrote all my essays and personal statements.

For these reasons I was really pissed to get rejected. If a school is not willing to look past flaws that are clearly stated pre-interview in the application, why waste my time with an interview? Why waste their time on an interview? It was very demoralizing and has really turned me bitter to the whole process. I'm not a perfect candidate, but there is no reason to play such games.

Just wanted to say that I feel you Julius Erving. I had such an experience interviewing at Penn State. I had no lies, no exaggerations, and my first interview went very well. My second interviewer was a prick who asked me a bunch of political questions and then grilled my "neutral" stance. He belittled my accomplishments (e.g. "you volunteered at a free clinic??? thats not the REAL world of medicine"). He kept asking where else I had interviewed or been accepted. I thought I handled it well, but I got a rejection letter 8 weeks later and I was pretty upset. Other interviewees in my group had different interviewers and had VERY easy interviews.. most of them were accepted. Arrgghh so frustrating after spending all that time and money, getting your heart broken like that!!

We do try to waitlist those folks that we do not have a slot for and slide them into slots as other decline acceptance. That is why May 15th is a huge moving date for my school and most schools.

There are no trends for rejection after an interview but there are reasons as stated above. Inteview does not always equal immediate acceptance or waitlist. My estimate would be that about 10% of those we interview would be rejected post interview. We tend to not have much of a waitlist.

Are you speaking about UVa? If so, can I interpret this to mean that being put on hold or waitlisted (I can't remember what the letter said) after an early interview in not a bad thing and that most of those folks find spots? True for OOS students as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I've been hearing all these stories about people who get zapped after having a seemingly great interview. 'Tis a rather disconcerting thought, seeing as I thought my interviews went well too lol. I dunno. I feel like if I went out there, talked to them and was myself as best as I could express me, then there is nothing more I can do. I've done the best I could to weight my chances, but at the end of the day the damned dice go back in the cup. This whole process is arbitrary, and sadly I guess that applies to the post-interview process as well. All the same, good luck, and here's hoping for that one fat envelope :luck:

it's been double the average time they said they would take to get back to me.. i've called admissions a bunch of times.. sent an update letter after the normal amount of time (though i accidentally sent it to the main email and so it didn't get there for a few weeks.. perhaps this delayed it? i had told the admissions director i was going to writing and send one).
i'm thinking the silence may mean rejection.. sadly i got along with all my interviewers well.. one even said at the end that he thought i would be a really great doctor..:(

I have been rejected post interview twice now. For both schools, the interviewers gave me the impression that I did well and should pick the school if accepted.

My take for me personally, I was so bad that they decided to lie to my face.

Thus far,
5 Interviews-2 rejections, 1 WL, 2 Pending.......

All you need is one to be a doctor. Don't give up at all.

This happened to me twice. Total shock. You can never know what goes on behind admissions committee doors, but I think it is way off to assume that there was something "wrong" with your application. (You weren't really saying this, but another poster was.) I think a lot of it has to do with med schools saving face and only showing interest in applicants that show interest in them.

Sorry about your situation. I would consider getting in touch with them and seeing if they would reveal what happened ...

anyone rejected post-interview yet?

I would have said, "No **** sherlock, I'm not a not a doctor yet." Some guys are just pricks and admissions is one area they have power.

I know... who you get for an interview is also luck!

I interviewed in December and was rejected in March...stung alot but I got over it..It wasnt in God's plan for me to be there and I accepted it..:D

I interviewed in December and was rejected in March...stung alot but I got over it..It wasnt in God's plan for me to be there and I accepted it..:D

I like the way you think!! ;)

Check the Harvard thread. So many post-interview rejections, it brings a tear to one's eye.

Well, at least to mine, since I was one of the rejects. And my interviews went really well.