• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

FIXENSMILES01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
NEW YORK- Youngstown OH -6/2008
Status (Visible)
:eek: :( :scared: :mad: :rolleyes: :D :idea: :thumbup:
I don't know where to begin, I got a letter of rejection from Rochester yesterday. I am in complete disbelief. I have now been rejected from U Penn, U Colorado, NYU,Columbia,Indiana Perio,Chicargo and now Rochester. I know my stats are less then par, but overall, I am well equipped to do any program. I have an 81 on part 1. I am taking part 2 in may. I have been dental assisting for THREE YEARS, I am an American who went to a Spanish dental university and without speaking the language I did dentistry all in Spanish. I have a 2.7 GPA (not bad for doing it in a language I never spoke) and ECE destroyed it to a 2.4, WES=2.7. I know what your saying, take part 1 over, and I am sorry, against better Judgment NO WAY JOSE, I have a learning disability that I fight everyday and want no pity, but taking that test again, after it took me two times to get the 81 and go from a 64 to an 81 I am sorry but no thank you. I am not a good standardize test taker. So I push forward to part 2. I still am waiting for SUNY Buffalo, Nova and most important to me, aside from Rochester, is the three year Prosth program at BU.

Now if you were in my shoes what to do? Well, here it is take part two. If you don't find yourself in a program the year that you want, go to NYU and pay the 72,000 (which you must prove you can pay first before you can get in) and do a year of whatever specialty you want. I would suggest General Dental or Prosthodontics. The reason, well when I have part 1 and part 2 providing they are over 80s and a year of a dental practice program, who is going to say no. I feel this is why Rochester denied me because the one thing I remembered from the interview that left a bad taste in my mouth was when they asked me what have you been doing for the last two years. I told them the truth that I am taking all the boards and dental Assisting. They were not impressed with this, I feel they want Doctors who have practiced dentistry. So the hole myth about dental Assisting is secondary to doing a program like NYU dental certificate program for Foreign Dentist. So I feel that part 1 and part2 with over and 80 and at least one year of a working program where you take care of patients and do treatment plans is the only way in aside from having a part 1 score of 90 or better. I would hate to think my own country is age discriminating because I am 35. but this is the crazy way you think after two years have past and you are still fighting to get in to any type of program.

This is all to much for me to handle, but I remain vigilant and determined. I will die trying I tell you, this is my country and this is the only place I have or want to practice.I LOVE DENTISTRY AND WOULD WANT TO DO NOTHING ELSE! I will not give up because I have what it takes, no one is going to tell me that for a person like me to go to another country and study Dentistry in another language, a person who went up 17 points on his boards does not have what it takes. I remain faithful that my God will provide and that everything happens for a reason and the greatness that am going to accomplish in the future is being laid in the rough foundation of this path I am on today. I tell all of you who are in my position DON'T GIVE UP keep moving forward, roll with the punches, Don't pay any mind to the American system of Dental education because you cant even begin to understand the way they do what they do. I am living proof of this. Do everything you can to get in pass all the exams, explore or do all the alternatives and work hard just like me. VIVA LE REVOLUCION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL . I HAVE COMPLETELY LOST IT. JUST KIDDING STAY STRONG EVERYONE ESPECIALLY THOSE IN MY POSITION.

Your Friend,
Bill FIXENSMILES01:thumbup: :thumbup:

yayi

Dr
10+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi,fixensmiles01
I'm so sorry to hear that. But don't feel bad. I believe after you take part 2, you will get in somewhere definitely.
good luck!

intellidentia

10+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
hi bill
sorry to hear that... but thats life ...i suppose. amd the charisma of life. even ive got a rejection from UPENN, UMN still waiting 2 hear from UOC, BU N NYU...WHICH IVE NO HOPES WITH A PART 1 SCORE OF 89 AND A GPA OF 3.3.U KNOW I DONT VE ANY DA experience or any sort of exp here in us. so after a long battle in my mind yes iam retaking the best againnnnnnnnn. may b in a month . so i dont ve any advice fr u though but i do surely have my moral support fr u. iam sure ull surely get into a nice program. by that time jus pray god and do ur best. good luck 2 u..

About the Ads

FIXENSMILES01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
Status (Visible)
thank you all , it is times like this that we can be grateful for SDN , because the level of honest support we get when we need it most thank you all again It does mean the world to me.:love:

mkot

mkot
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
CA, USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hi bill, i have no words to express my disbelief for wht has happened, and all i can say at this moment is that dont be disheartened and keep going.
again, not too many words but they come straight ffrom the heart
mkot

g3k

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I don't know where to begin, I got a letter of rejection from Rochester yesterday. I am in complete disbelief. I have now been rejected from U Penn, U Colorado, NYU,Columbia,Indiana Perio,Chicargo and now Rochester. I know my stats are less then par, but overall, I am well equipped to do any program. I have an 81 on part 1. I am taking part 2 in may. I have been dental assisting for THREE YEARS, I am an American who went to a Spanish dental university and without speaking the language I did dentistry all in Spanish. I have a 2.7 GPA (not bad for doing it in a language I never spoke) and ECE destroyed it to a 2.4, WES=2.7. I know what your saying, take part 1 over, and I am sorry, against better Judgment NO WAY JOSE, I have a learning disability that I fight everyday and want no pity, but taking that test again, after it took me two times to get the 81 and go from a 64 to an 81 I am sorry but no thank you. I am not a good standardize test taker. So I push forward to part 2. I still am waiting for SUNY Buffalo, Nova and most important to me, aside from Rochester, is the three year Prosth program at BU.

I am sorry to hear about your rejections... but, who are you kidding? - yourself.... if dentistry is what you want to do, heck, you should give a leg (we need just 2 arms and a leg:D ), a kidney and even more. I agree with you that part 1 is not the only thing. You can do much more than that to your application. Go teach ... teach for free to begin with. Dentistry does not have faculty and man, do they need some????
You can't retake part 1? That is no excuse... if dentistry is all you want to do, like I said, you should be willing to do anything go to any extent. I hope you get in somewhere this year. But if not work on anything and everything. The admission committee is not going to consider someone who has an 81 and three years of experience versus someone who has a 96, has an MPH and has been a research scientist for 2 years. This is life. It is a competetive world and nothing can be done about it. It is the survival of the fittest. Make yourself fit. It is in your mind and heart to make things work. Good Luck and be persistent and you will get in somewhere! :thumbup: :thumbup:

:Now if you were in my shoes what to do? Well, here it is take part two. If you don't find yourself in a program the year that you want, go to NYU and pay the 72,000 (which you must prove you can pay first before you can get in) and do a year of whatever specialty you want. I would suggest General Dental or Prosthodontics. The reason, well when I have part 1 and part 2 providing they are over 80s and a year of a dental practice program, who is going to say no. I feel this is why Rochester denied me because the one thing I remembered from the interview that left a bad taste in my mouth was when they asked me what have you been doing for the last two years. I told them the truth that I am taking all the boards and dental Assisting. They were not impressed with this, I feel they want Doctors who have practiced dentistry. So the hole myth about dental Assisting is secondary to doing a program like NYU dental certificate program for Foreign Dentist. So I feel that part 1 and part2 with over and 80 and at least one year of a working program where you take care of patients and do treatment plans is the only way in aside from having a part 1 score of 90 or better. I would hate to think my own country is age discriminating because I am 35. but this is the crazy way you think after two years have past and you are still fighting to get in to any type of program.

This is all to much for me to handle, but I remain vigilant and determined. I will die trying I tell you, this is my country and this is the only place I have or want to practice.I LOVE DENTISTRY AND WOULD WANT TO DO NOTHING ELSE! I will not give up because I have what it takes, no one is going to tell me that for a person like me to go to another country and study Dentistry in another language, a person who went up 17 points on his boards does not have what it takes. I remain faithful that my God will provide and that everything happens for a reason and the greatness that am going to accomplish in the future is being laid in the rough foundation of this path I am on today. I tell all of you who are in my position DON'T GIVE UP keep moving forward, roll with the punches, Don't pay any mind to the American system of Dental education because you cant even begin to understand the way they do what they do. I am living proof of this. Do everything you can to get in pass all the exams, explore or do all the alternatives and work hard just like me. VIVA LE REVOLUCION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL . I HAVE COMPLETELY LOST IT. JUST KIDDING STAY STRONG EVERYONE ESPECIALLY THOSE IN MY POSITION.

Your Friend,

Programs don't discriminate against age. Those are excuses you are finding in your applcation. I know two people who are 40 who got in this year. Work on what is positive or what you can make positive. Ignore these silly points of age and other negativity. It is just those rejection letters that make you talk this way.
Anyway, I am sure you know what you are doing and I am sure you know what you have to do.
Good Luck!

FIXENSMILES01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
Status (Visible)
I agree with you 100% , for the most part this is a rant and a vent . I agree that when push comes to shove if I have to take part 1 over I will. I respect you making light of my situation. It is well needed humour. There are no excuses other then the ones we invent for the sake of complaining. However I like most , am only human and have my moments. I am a fighter and have nothing to prove I will get this done even if it kills me. So thanks for your words of support . If it be teaching or practicing I accept whatever my fate me be as long as I am doing Dentistry. :thumbup: :thumbup:

NYU2010

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
HI bill,
I am very sure that you are going to be in dental school soon.

NYU2010
:eek: :( :scared: :mad: :rolleyes: :D :idea: :thumbup:

Now if you were in my shoes what to do? Well, here it is take part two. If you don't find yourself in a program the year that you want, go to NYU and pay the 72,000 (which you must prove you can pay first before you can get in) and do a year of whatever specialty you want. I would suggest General Dental or Prosthodontics. The reason, well when I have part 1 and part 2 providing they are over 80s and a year of a dental practice program, who is going to say no. I feel this is why Rochester denied me because the one thing I remembered from the interview that left a bad taste in my mouth was when they asked me what have you been doing for the last two years. I told them the truth that I am taking all the boards and dental Assisting. They were not impressed with this, I feel they want Doctors who have practiced dentistry. So the hole myth about dental Assisting is secondary to doing a program like NYU dental certificate program for Foreign Dentist. So I feel that part 1 and part2 with over and 80 and at least one year of a working program where you take care of patients and do treatment plans is the only way in aside from having a part 1 score of 90 or better. I would hate to think my own country is age discriminating because I am 35. but this is the crazy way you think after two years have past and you are still fighting to get in to any type of program.

Your Friend,

Last edited:

indian bds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
:eek: :(

Your Friend,

hi bill
i totally agree with you...everyone gets shattered by failures..but those who get up and do it again win the battle...so wipe off your tears and prove it what you are...and believe me whole of this sdnites are with you...:thumbup:

indian bds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I am sorry to hear about your rejections... but, who are you kidding? - yourself.... if dentistry is what you want to do, heck, you should give a leg (we need just 2 arms and a leg:D ), a kidney and even more. I agree with you that part 1 is not the only thing. You can do much more than that to your application. Go teach ... teach for free to begin with. Dentistry does not have faculty and man, do they need some????
You can't retake part 1? That is no excuse... if dentistry is all you want to do, like I said, you should be willing to do anything go to any extent. I hope you get in somewhere this year. But if not work on anything and everything. The admission committee is not going to consider someone who has an 81 and three years of experience versus someone who has a 96, has an MPH and has been a research scientist for 2 years. This is life. It is a competetive world and nothing can be done about it. It is the survival of the fittest. Make yourself fit. It is in your mind and heart to make things work. Good Luck and be persistent and you will get in somewhere! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Programs don't discriminate against age. Those are excuses you are finding in your applcation. I know two people who are 40 who got in this year. Work on what is positive or what you can make positive. Ignore these silly points of age and other negativity. It is just those rejection letters that make you talk this way.
Anyway, I am sure you know what you are doing and I am sure you know what you have to do.
Good Luck!

very well said g3k
i couldnt have quoted better tahn this ...and it doesnt just imply to bill its for all of us who are struggling and who did it!!!!
keep up the good work ...

katforx

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hi Bill,

Don't be frustrated! You will definitely get it finally. Miracle happens from the awesome God!
Just concentrate on your Step II and prove yourself.

Peace & Joy be with you always!

K.

[email protected]

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hi Bill,
Keep hope, hv faith in God. finally u will find something that fit u. Reaseach more opportunity.

About the Ads

FIXENSMILES01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
Status (Visible)
Once again thank you all for your words, they are a source of comfort. I am focused and remain in good spirits especially now. I do appreciate all your words of support. Like I said before I am no different from anyone else after passing part 2 in May if I have to take part 1 over I will. I remain humble by your words and faithful to my God. Thank you all.:thumbup: :thumbup:

Nevio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hi bill,
Do not be disheratened because You are a good person and good things happen to everybody.Keep working and I`m sure you will succeed.About more options definitly you shoul look for more than DA experience you can try teaching like somebody said earlier or do some master program or try some research anything which will keep you focused on your dream DENTISRY>
You will see that the sun will raise on your street also.Nevio:)

Once again thank you all for your words, they are a source of comfort. I am focused and remain in good spirits especially now. I do appreciate all your words of support. Like I said before I am no different from anyone else after passing part 2 in May if I have to take part 1 over I will. I remain humble by your words and faithful to my God. Thank you all.:thumbup: :thumbup:

minibracket

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
I know you because you are always helping people in this forum..
so I wanna say just Keep going and don't disheartened, try to concentrate only in your part II, you will get accepted soon in some other Universities,
Good luck and Fuerza y animo~!!!:luck:

godbless

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
hey bill,
SOME SUGGESTIONS:
1)try IERF evaluation, they will give you higher gpa
2)get into a preceptorship program at ucla or uic or others, to get special preference as an internal candidate when you reapply next yr
3)call up several schools and some might give you an option to teach there first voluntarily and then on a pay, and then once you work there for a couple of years and are in their good books they can allow you to do an advanced standing DDS at a fraction of a cost ro you can consider continued teaching
4)do an AEGD program through PASS and MATCH or without it and that looks aweosme on a resume to advanced standing application and opens way to get license in some states
5)look at the minnesota option where you can take part 1 and 2 and get a license, i think there are some added requirements too, not sure
6)improve your clinical hand and apply to all CA schools, and if get a call for interivew, then make sure you crack it coz acceptance there rest heavily on clinical skills
7) try for AEGD programs as they are easier to get into as compared to speciality programs and lets you work in some states
8) fight your shortcoming as a slow learner and study harder and harder for 3 months, forgetting everything else in the world and retake part 1, then you choose the school you wanna go in once you touch a 90 or more
9)part 2 doesnt really help, instead retake part 1
10) look into the option to get a dental hygiene license before they close that option, it is very easy
11)look at MPH and options it opens up
12)masters program in oral biology or other related field can get you a job in a dental school as a faculty and then once in thier good books, get into DDS at a fraction of a cost
13) you can consider working in the country you graduated from
lemme know what you think, there are a lot of options in lfie, you just have to look around
GOOD LUCK

dusja

10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hi, Bill
Look I am older than you and I got rejected not once.
Light is always coming after dark!

casablanca

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Miracle happens to those who believe in them ! Glad to know u are feeling better now and may god give u the strength to accept the past and see the opportunities that lay ahead!

:luck: and cheers!

wisedent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
you know what fixensmile.. i would keep u in my prayers everyday.Anything is possible to god and when he close a door or many he will open a window somewhere but if you keep looking at the closed doors you mayn't see the open window. so try other means to improve the overall status of your application and i am sure someting far better than you expect is waiting for you.

HYDBDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hi Bill,
I know how hard it is to be in a situation such as yours... I think you can try for teaching opportunities in a DA / DH schools, try for an MPH or MS in Oral Biology or Biomaterials etc to improve your application.... its just a matter of time before you get accepted to an advanced standing program.... this is just to let you know that you are in our prayers and you have our moral support in your testing times....
Good Luck to you....be persistent till you get into a program of your choice....

BDS-DMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
For starters, stop posting your life story here. I think you are hurting yourself more than helping yourself.

2nd, Start calling up GPR programs which have open spots after MATCH and get into one.

You do 2 years of that I think you might be able to take some licensing exam or the other.

FIXENSMILES01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
Status (Visible)
For starters, stop posting your life story here. I think you are hurting yourself more than helping yourself.

2nd, Start calling up GPR programs which have open spots after MATCH and get into one.

You do 2 years of that I think you might be able to take some licensing exam or the other.

For starters BDS, I understand your point. The issue I have with it is simply this, I know I can take your stance and get to the point and be what I feel is somewhat shallow and self centered or I can understand that there is a level of commodity and support associated with SDN. By telling "My Story" helps others to identify, especially those who are new to the forum. You never know who has a word of advise or a word of encouragement to be helped or to help others out. I have established my identity and character as such. I do respect and understand your point and it is well taken, but, I am secure with the way I manage myself here on SDN. Thanks again for the latter part of your post it was helpful and it was well received.:thumbup:

elto

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Status (Visible)

Well...It seems to me that YOU are the starter !!! Bill is one of the most helpful SDN members and he is very apreciated here.... He is a true friend and an inspiration to many of us.
Maybe you need to remember that this is a free country and as long as Bill (or anyone else) is respectful, he can post anything related to the sometimes long and frustrating journey to get a DDS license in the USA

FIXENSMILES01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
Status (Visible)
Once again thank you all for your support. Godbless thank you for listing those options they were very helpful. Elto thank you as usual for your friendship and support . and to the rest of you and your responses, I can't thank you enough . Have a great day and God Bless you all. :thumbup:

BDS-DMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
The only reason I asked Bill not to say anything here is because admissions committee members all over the US are on this forum reading all the posts. A lot of them may not like the way he is discussing his situation and it will hurt him at the time of their decision making.

I have spent more time on this forum than any one else AFTER they joined the program. Just go back and see how much time the moderators spent here AFTER they joined the program.

Bill should definitely write in about his experiences. But it will be MUCH better for himself if he does that AFTER he gets in. That way he has an answer to the question he has himself asked "Rejection after rejection-now what?"

Docnids

Tufts University DIS'09
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2005
Windy city
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
:thumbup: :thumbup: Hey Bill,
Sorry to read about your rejections.
This Is Life. If there is success, then there has to be failure. Only then can you value your achievements more. All these rejections promise you of a Grande Achievement one fine day.
Till then don’t worry, just keep going……

Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need
(By Emily Dickinson)

FIXENSMILES01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
Status (Visible)
The only reason I asked Bill not to say anything here is because admissions committee members all over the US are on this forum reading all the posts. A lot of them may not like the way he is discussing his situation and it will hurt him at the time of their decision making.

I have spent more time on this forum than any one else AFTER they joined the program. Just go back and see how much time the moderators spent here AFTER they joined the program.

Bill should definitely write in about his experiences. But it will be MUCH better for himself if he does that AFTER he gets in. That way he has an answer to the question he has himself asked "Rejection after rejection-now what?"

Once again I will say you do have a valid point and it is considered. What you say is true ans I do respect your status on SDN you have been around longer then most of us. I started in 04 and I know you started in 03.I also think I have explained what I will do next . It is very clear that when all is said and done, I will not give any committee a reason to say no. And this my friends is the only way to get in to a program if you dont have good stats.Pass 1 and 2 better then the 80s and get into an American working program AEGD GPR or specialty course , research or MS the like. I will do this and am doing this and wish all of you who are in the same position the best of prayers.:thumbup:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.