rejection+call/email=invite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey y'all

so, this guy told me that his girlfriend got rejected by ucsd...called in saying how much she "really really had to go there"...and later that week got an invite! just wanted to know if an invite after having been rejected (and after some unabashed 'begging') really amounts to much, if anything...someone else apparently got his medical school dean to call duke to get an interview invite after the initial rejection...is this common practice? perhaps, i am a little naive to be surprised that stuff like this goes on...i guess more than anything i am shocked that schools of such high caliber will actually revoke a rejection...can a great interview really propel a person up the rank list...perhaps, i should get ready to kiss some a$$es too??

Members don't see this ad.

You have to wonder then if she's only getting a courtesy interview. She didn't make the cut initially, so it's pretty safe to guess that she would be at the bottom of their list.

I personally don't think it's worth it to call and beg or have someone do that on your behalf. Just think how good it feels to go to an interview knowing the program was impressed with your application as oppossed to going in there feeling insecure because you really haven't earned that interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pleading for an interview after being rejected for an interview *might* result in an interview, but unless something meaningful has changed on the application since submission, the interview will likely be a courtesy interview. If someone really wanted to go a program, you have to weigh the potential possibility of making it onto their list versus the wasted time and money.

If someone is really desperate for a certain program, you could plead for the interview, and if the interview is granted, perhaps take the opportunity on interview day to plead your case to the program director.

Again, the probability that this will work is likely small. HOWEVER, the numbers dont matter because you could be that one person who gets the interview just by pleading for it and then end up matching there.

anecdotal evidence (n=1): a friend of mine was initially rejected by his dream program, called PD, got an interview and subsequently matched there. in retrospect, he felt the call made all the difference in the world and someone had the program probably dropped the ball.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Anectodal evidence #2: I also know of someone who got rejected from a program, called and got an interview, then matched at the program. And it's a top 15 program in a competitive specialty.

My take: you have nothing to lose. Before call: reject. After call: at worst same reject... but maybe 1:10 chance of getting an interview. It all comes down to taking the initiative and I'm sure that's something any program director would value in a future resident.