Rejection Letter Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timmythemic22

Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question...

Will a school always send a rejection letter if I wasn't accepted, or is there the possibility that they might leave me hanging?

Members don't see this ad.

I think majority of the schools will send out rejection letters. Although it could really take long time for them to send it out. I don't think I had a school that didn't send out any rejection letter, but I could be wrong.

I recall one person on SDN who said that he received a rejection letter in August while he was attending medical school elsewhere. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools send rejection letters by June. Although, few schools (ie., Howard) never rejected me when I applied 2 years ago .

There are lots of schools that leave you hanging though. Maybe not after an interview, but lots that you will apply to and just never hear from again. I think it sucks, but that's the way it goes.

Timmythemic22 said:
Just a quick question...

Will a school always send a rejection letter if I wasn't accepted, or is there the possibility that they might leave me hanging?

I thought the limbo-esque "Wait List" was the decision of choice for most schools. I haven't been "rejected" anywhere, but I've been Waitlisted several places.

When I interviewed at Chicago, we were told that over the last 3 years, they had only given out 1 rejection. They said they had a candidate that was so obnoxious (he must have been associated with SDN) that he needed to be sent a message.

I think in the end, every school is different. But, my speculation is that most places just wait list you.