PhD/PsyD Rejection Notification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlm1009

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your experiences (particularly for PsyD programs) are you notified if you aren't invited for an interview or are you just left to assume you didn't get one?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
from my experience: no news is bad news majority of the time. You can check gradcafe's results section to get an approximate timeline of when people get invites for interviews. Most of the time its a few weeks window 2-3 weeks prior to interview weekend. These aren't absolute but usually how it does.

from my experience: no news is bad news majority of the time. You can check gradcafe's results section to get an approximate timeline of when people get invites for interviews. Most of the time its a few weeks window 2-3 weeks prior to interview weekend. These aren't absolute but usually how it does.
Thanks! There's one school in particular that apparently sent out a mass rejection email last week and I didn't get that, and I think they were sending invitations this week so I just didn't know what to expect!

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember hearing nothing and getting 1-2 rejection letters mailed to me over the summer. Ah yes thank you random program, I gathered I was rejected because decision day was three months ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! There's one school in particular that apparently sent out a mass rejection email last week and I didn't get that, and I think they were sending invitations this week so I just didn't know what to expect!

There are some schools that will keep interview alternates in case an applicant turns down the invite so who knows

I had the same question for the PSGP Stanford PsyD program! I phoned and they said they could not tell me if rejections letters would be given out as decisions are still being made. This made zero sense to me. My question was if you do not get an interview will you receive a rejection letter. Sadly, they cannot discuss much until all decisions are final. I have read on these boards that some people received rejections for an interview so, I truly don't know!

How frustrating. It's only polite for a program to send a letter to applicants who are out of the running. It's the least they could do after taking your application fee.

It doesn't end at grad school admissions though. I once interviewed for a college faculty job. The college brought me down for the day and paid for my airfare, hotel, and meals. Then I never heard from the search committee again - not even so much as an email. Fortunately, the feeling was mutual!

I remember hearing nothing and getting 1-2 rejection letters mailed to me over the summer

:wideyed: That is really inconsiderate. I'd be tempted to take those rejection letters and "return to sender." JK!

I'm experiencing the same misfortune at the moment, but it's refreshing to have more flexibility with postdoc.

Yep, just went through it with post-doc and will do so again, I imagine. One site mentioned they'd get back to me in "a couple weeks" and took a month and a half. That's a long time in a process that moves very quickly. I wrote it off after 3-4 weeks anyways. I wanted to e-mail back with a lesson on professional etiquette.

But then I decided I'd rather not commit professional suicide.

In your experiences (particularly for PsyD programs) are you notified if you aren't invited for an interview or are you just left to assume you didn't get one?

Hello. I'm sorry you had to be in limbo for awhile. Were you able to hear back?