Rejection Still Pees Me Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LP1CW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this is stupid and insecure, but, at some level, even though I'm already in at the medical school that I want, I still get bothered by rejection.

I got another rejection in the mail today. The letter was nice and they let me know that really appreciated getting to know me. I'm sure.

I want to write to them and say, "I reject you."

The Ego, I've got to let it go.

Members don't see this ad.

hehe...today I got a rejection from a school to which I applied, but didn't complete the secondary.

Brother, I got a stack of these letters at home and not one of them makes me feel good. Well, I thought that WashU was pretty decent but then when I think about Downstate:

"We are rejecting you. Please do not call our office asking us why because we will not tell you. Don't call, don't even think of writing to us. We rejected you for one of the following five reasons: 1)MCAT, 2) GPA 3) EC's 4) crummy letters of ref or we thought your EC's were pretty lame, and finally 5) we just didn't like you."

:smuggrin:

That was a real bad rejection ....

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they signed by a human or computer signatures?

Todays letter was signed. It was actually signed by someone that I've talked to a few times. Why do I care? I mean, it's not going to keep me up, but it does bother me. I gave them my money. I feel like I'm strong enough. I'd like to know why one school liked me and one didn't even interview me. It's so odd. Schools of comparable levels.

Don't take this the wrong way:

This is a sample school I randomly picked from MSAR:
Got it, p 117. Stanford it is.
Total Applicants: 5,813
New Entrants: 86
Applicant-to-Acceptance Rate: 86/5,813 = 0.014794426286
Probability of not being accepted right off-the-bat:
1 - 0.014794426286 = 0.985205573714
Percent Rejection from Sample School: 98.5205573714%

They love you, you're perfect, you're be the best doctor in the world in everything. Nothing personal. If you're in, my bet is that 98 and a half others are not.

I doubt that downstate rejection actually says that.

Keep the rejection letters, do amazingly well in your career, then you can let the schools know what they missed out on. :)

Originally posted by bokermmk

actually, thats a good approximation. i have it here in front of me.

Originally posted by exmike

I guess it'll help if the admission staff there take a class in DIPLOMACY.:mad:

now that i have at least an acceptance and some hope with some of my instate schools...

im just to get decisions back from other schools even if they are rejections cause it brings some closure.

the first couple or so hurt at first...but this being close to my 20th one...(i lost count) its just whatevs...

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Only 20? I used to keep them in a pile. Didn't even open them, just looked through the envelope. As the pile became too large, I eventually tossed them all. That's what I do with the new ones now... Right in the trash they go. How many you ask? :laugh: BUWAHAHAHAHAH!!!;) Lets just say it's a whole lot more than 20... way more!
:wow:

dont toss them!

my friend just got in gtown law, so after this is all over we're going to pool our rejection letters and have a bonfire.

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Only 20? I used to keep them in a pile. Didn't even open them, just looked through the envelope. As the pile became too large, I eventually tossed them all. That's what I do with the new ones now... Right in the trash they go. How many you ask? :laugh: BUWAHAHAHAHAH!!!;) Lets just say it's a whole lot more than 20... way more!
:wow:

yeah only 20 since im still waiting on around 20 schools that i have heard nothing from....in the end...ill have high 30s rejections. :cool:

I will ceremoniously burn them this summer. My best friend has collected many rejections, but he has one acceptance and that's what counts.

How can you afford to apply to 40 schools?

Originally posted by Rendar5

save for 4 years through undergrad with the leftovers from my job...

get rejected from fap and try and save some more...welcome loans from family friends etc...

its tough. but what can you do? gotta do what you gotta do.

Dang jlee...that's awesome. Not that you got so many rejections, but that you got in despite them. I bet you're really glad you applied to that many schools, huh? That's how I will feel IF I can just get an acceptance!

Originally posted by bokermmk

Originally posted by exmike

Thanks exmike, I know - isn't that some kind of crude rejection?? Really hard to believe. I hope they're reading this Forum ...

Originally posted by CalBeE
I guess it'll help if the admission staff there take a class in DIPLOMACY.:mad:

what does that mean...in diplomacy?

Originally posted by Rendar5

How can you afford not to?

It's a numbers game. Medical School will cost around $120k or more. What is $2k in app fee's compared to that?

;)

Originally posted by ptanpit1
Don't take this the wrong way:

This is a sample school I randomly picked from MSAR:
Got it, p 117. Stanford it is.
Total Applicants: 5,813
New Entrants: 86
Applicant-to-Acceptance Rate: 86/5,813 = 0.014794426286
Probability of not being accepted right off-the-bat:
1 - 0.014794426286 = 0.985205573714
Percent Rejection from Sample School: 98.5205573714%

They love you, you're perfect, you're be the best doctor in the world in everything. Nothing personal. If you're in, my bet is that 98 and a half others are not.

The numbers of acceptances is obviously higher than the class size probably at least twice the class size. The ratio also may be inaccurate because there are probably a lot people who don't fill out secondaries but are still counted as having applied.