Rejection thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fritz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realized we don't really have a rejection thread for MD/PhD. So here it goes:

Wash U big FAT rejection 10/06/03

Members don't see this ad.

I feel your pain.

Wash U-mid September
UCSF-mid September

washU mstp rejection end-September, offered MD interview
yay?!
sigh..

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe b/c we try to stay positive and optimistic...

That said; UCSF pre-secondary sometime last month.

Yup...me too for Wash U. But my MD interview is on Friday. :)

E

What kind of stats did Wash U reject for its MSTP?

Avg rejected had a 36 MCAT, 3.85 GPA, and 1 publication...

;)

Guys, it's a crapshoot. Believe us, we've been through it.
It is in no way indicative of whether you will get rejected at other similar or even 'better' schools.

Relax (easier said than done, I know), you will all get in somewhere.

Originally posted by noy

;)

Just to clear things up: Ouch... that would be f'd up.

oh.. me too for Wash U... got it a few days ago in the mail. made for a crappy start to the week. but oh well... it's still early

This rejection thread seems more like a Wash U rejection thread...I definitely don't feel so alone anymore.

Originally posted by noy

;)

where did this stat come from?

do people have severe irony deficiency anemia or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Habari
do people have severe irony deficiency anemia or what?

Oooo, that sounds like a good disease to study.

nope i studied it. I did a genome wide screen for severe irony deficiency and found some pretty high positive lod scores on chromosome 2.

I studied some candidate genes in this area..(i.e.the "amigoodenoughformstp" ,"ohmygoshnotarejection!", and the "woeisme" genes) and it turns out none of them are associated with irony deficiency.

but i'd also say those stats are around the average as well. all right, you can't change your stats, can't change your previous research experiences, but you can still continue down the same path you were reaching for before! i'll be damned if my goals change... though i will be going to washU's MD-only interview. don't really know why yet. isn't denial the first stage of grief? :)

stay happy people. hope to see every one of you on at least one of these trips.

and so i'd like to continue the WashU rejection streak that everybody here seems to be on!

atleast i saved a few hundred on plane travel~

p

Actually, I think they fly everyone out...

Did any of you who got the reject (this year) recieve the thick packet of faculty to select from?

Yes, I got the faculty book too. I also got the MD interview a few days before (based on the thread, a lot of us did). It served to sufficiently get my hopes up before that cursed day when the thin envelope came. Now, though, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Harvard. Did anyone get offered an MD-only interview, or do they decide that later?

Oh, I got the WashU faculty research book too. They must just send it out to everyone once your secondaries are complete.

I have just joined the Wash. U rejection club!!! it was quite a dramatic induction ceremony this morning guys!! even with competitive STATS!!!!+pissed+
Wow...i dont know how to take it! I just called em and they gave me a whole spill about letters of reccommendation being 'good' but not necessarily 'excellent' as they expect.
Oh well, It is quite a competitive program and i guess i was not just the outstanding student they were looking for but i was wishing for good news first from any school.... before them top dawgs made my day!
Good luck guys!. (1 down...yall know how the rest goes).

I got WashU today too. The same day I got the book. Laf. I guess the scariest part is they have the most spots to offer too...

I just got the University of Washington rejection letter. They are still considering me for the MD only, but it's a bit of a downer to get rejected. It's good to have joined the rejection club finally.

Turgenev13

I've been withholding this for several weeks, because it's a rejection from a lesser program than WashU or UW.

I received a rejection for AECOM's MSTP program, but am still being considered for regular MD. Oh well. I've gotten four interviews so far from non-MSTP schools, but it appears that MSTP's are reluctant to grant early invites to people that don't have stellar MCAT's and GPA (like me). :rolleyes:

Originally posted by coldchemist
I received a rejection for AECOM's MSTP program, but am still being considered for regular MD.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is AECOM? No MSTP is poor, admission to any is too competitive for my health.

Sorry. AECOM is Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Sorry if I transform this into an Wash rejection thread, but I got today another rejection letter from them. Did they just want to make sure that I got the message or what?
Anyway, please feel free to post your rejections here, this is not exclusively a Wash U rejection thread. I think that Wash U sent rejections to all of us about the same time, and maybe that's why so many "Wash U rejection" posts.
Good luck everyone, and hopefully this thread will not get too long (all of us will get interviews and get in somewhere). :)

Kinda disappointing since so many first year MSTPs this year were WashU grads last year. *Shrug* Maybe they're trying to diversify =)

Well, I just got the official rejection email from Harvard. That makes 2 rejections for me! I hope you are all having lots of luck in the interview process.

Turgenev13

Got rejected from Johns Hopkins... over the phone... ouch!
Man, this week was bad.

Got post-secondary rejections from Case Western and Cornell. Still in the running for regular MD though. I don't think they read a word that I wrote-my rejections came way too soon after I submitted my secondaries. No news is good news right?

First post-interview rejection...UCSD. Grrrr :(

post secondary- ucla, cornell, washU

Just heard from NYU today--no MD/PhD for me there. Guess I just wasn't meant to go to NYC.

:D

Rejection letter today at U Michigan. No word on MD though

still haven't heard from weill. maybe it's time to throw in the towel at cornell.

So I got a letter from Stanford yesterday...Didn't want to go to Palo Alto anyway...stupid sour grapes

Not a good club to join. Chalk me up for Cornell. I'm disappointed about it because of the great research opportunities in the Tri I thing. I'll keep my fingers crossed during my Columbia interview. Too bad Columbia doesn't have any affiliation with Rockefeller of Sloan for their MSTPs.

I feel thin letters can are on their way from UCSF. Oh well you have to love the game.

yale and cornell rejections for me! (still being considered for md though)

Ahhh, no Cornell MSTP for me. Figured it was worth a try.

no Wash U MSTP for me. I guess spending four years in st.louis as an undergrad was enough for me anyway. Who knows if I get offered an MD interview I guess I would have to go.

On hold at both Hopkins and Wash U. I interpret it as rejection, what do you think?

I think you should be more optimistic. It is still relatively early. I'm not sure about Hopkins but I know Wash U interviews a few times in January. I'm curious how you found out that you were on hold. Did you actually call and ask them or just assume since you haven't gotten an interview or rejection? Good luck.

I was "on hold" for a couple months at WashU. Last week i was offered an interview in December so dont give up hope. WashU told me earlier that they only put a select group on the hold list (generally applicants from the West coast, Harvard, or Yale) so im sure they are still interested.

everything that has a beginning has an end. like my application to weill.

Originally posted by Newquagmire
everything that has a beginning has an end. like my application to weill.

yeah matrix!
i forget what i've posted so far.. i heard from ucsf finally. it's a no-go.

Wash U
Cornell Tri-I
Not huge surprises at all.

No Yale MSTP. I also found their letter somewhat insulting. I this whole process is truly a crap shoot. Let's just I get in somewhere before a flood of rejections come in and I become a very unhappy person. Good luck everyone.

Why did you find the letter insulting? Just because it was a rejection letter or did they insult your intelligence or what? I wouldnt want anyone to have bad vibes about Yale MSTP. It really is just a crap shoot, and you can't expect to get in everywhere.

It was the line that said said something such as. "we receive many more applications than we have room for and are required to reject many applicants including some who are well qualified." I just found the "some" in the sentence above to rub me the wrong way for some reason. I guess insultng may have been to strong a word. It's probably my own fault to for being rejected. I had done some reaearch in the past as an undergrad, but not really done anything too substial because I was too busy with school and not really enjoying research very much. However, when I graduated and was able to do research full time as a tech and discover a novel mutation all on my own I was hooked.