Rejections by phone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools call you if you're accepted. So why don't they call you if you're waitlisted or rejected. If some people on SDN get a call that they were accepted but you didn't, then automatically you know it's a waitlist or rejection.

Thus, if a school is going to call those who are accepted, they should have the decency to also call those who are waitlisted or rejected.

I can imagine it now.

ADCOM member: Hello Slickness, we are calling to inform that you were rejected from our medical school. Thank you for your interest in our school.

Me: Thank you for getting back to me so quickly about my decision. I appreciate you calling me rather than tactfully sending a letter in the mail.

It's beautiful.

Members don't see this ad.

Good point! For god's sake, I'm not gonna start bawling on the phone...I just want to know if I got accepted or rejected...I'm not going to start crying, "why, why, why?" if i get a phone rejection.

Originally posted by BonBon Doux
Good point! For god's sake, I'm not gonna start bawling on the phone...I just want to know if I got accepted or rejected...I'm not going to start crying, "why, why, why?" if i get a phone rejection.

You might not, but dealing with pre-meds, I think it's a VERY bad idea to tell someone over the phone that they've been rejected from a medical school.

There are already many people calling schools to find out WHY they were rejected...imagine if the person was right there to ask your questions. It would take a staff of 5 people about 2 years to reject a few thousand people in my estimation...

Members don't see this ad :)
I called Johns Hopkins and they told me over the phone that I was rejected.

Originally posted by dsblaha
Wow. Yes but I don't think they would actually call you to tell you this.

Facted, I mean post-interview decisions. Of course it would take forever to call those who were rejected pre-interview, but those who are waiting post-interview have a right to know.

I was being a bit sarcastic in my first post because it would be funny if they actually did this. However, to a certain extent as bonbon said, I would like to know as quickly as possible and the phone is the quickest way of knowing.

Originally posted by dsblaha

That's interesting. When I called, the lady vaguely said, "There was a letter sent to you last Friday" (which I have not received yet). When I asked her what the decision was she said that she couldn't give decisions over the phone....of course, I know they call you for acceptances but I didn't think they gave waitlist/rejections over the phone.

Originally posted by Slickness
Wow. Yes but I don't think they would actually call you to tell you this.

Facted, I mean post-interview decisions. Of course it would take forever to call those who were rejected pre-interview, but those who are waiting post-interview have a right to know.

Yea, my bad. However, I still think it would be ridiculous even for the 500 or however many interviewed. If you wanted to know in the quickest way possible, e-mail is the best in my opinion. Perhaps a school could add an option on their application: "would you like to know your status via e-mail as soon as it's decided?"

I called Einstein a week ago and the lady said

"A letter has been sent out, a final decision and it is NOT favorable"

That was pretty much telling me I got rejected.

Winnie lost it.

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
You know, I'm still waiting for a rejection letter from a couple of schools *cough* penn state *cough* I interviewed at 2 years ago.

yeah...this whole process reminds me of a girl I dated...
her: call me later
me: called later...left a message
her:
I'm still waiting for that call a year later...
of course, I haven't heard anything from hopkins. I'm hoping that due to my unusually singular accomplishments (or singular accomplishment?), they decided to dispense with the interview formality and accept me outright :D

one of my state schools here in FL (USF) will call you post interview and discuss the decision with you, regardless of whether it's an acceptance or waitlist. so it's not totally unheard of.