Rejections from top schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enigma85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Historically, have schools like Penn, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Michigan, etc., rejected applicants early in the cycle.....or do I have to wait until Feb/March for the thin envelope? (I've already gotten the boot from Vandy, at least I won't be waiting for a response from them)

Members don't see this ad.

it probably varies frm schol to school. for eexampl i got th pritzker boot like 3 weeks ago which i consider early

Historically, have schools like Penn, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Michigan, etc., rejected applicants early in the cycle.....or do I have to wait until Feb/March for the thin envelope? (I've already gotten the boot from Vandy, at least I won't be waiting for a response from them)

A lot of schools drag their feet on sending out the rejections because it is not as pressing to them -- they will get to it when there is more time later in the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard is non-rolling, so my guess is that they drag it out more than the others do...

Sure seems like a lot of applicant impatience already this cycle - apply broadly and expect to be going on interviews well into late winter and early spring - almost hoping for "early rejections" seems kind of crazy to me..they play all kinds of games with post secondary /pre-interview review pools and then there is "waitlist hell" to go through...buckle in, it is better to suffer through a long and bumpy ride (resulting in an admission) than a short swift exit just to get it over with...

At Duke, if you don't get an interview then you'll find out earlier in the cycle. If you do get an interview, all responses come in Feb/March.

While it varies from school... I found that if I didn't get screened out early by the numbers, I would just be left hanging until sometime until late spring/early summer and then get a rejection. I think the record was a rejection that came late June... I forget who sent that one but I was shocked to hear that I wasn't going to be invited for an interview.

Q: How many Bush Administration officials does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are a delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effect. Why do you hate freedom?

roflmfao!

Penn, Harvard and Yale all send out their rejections in Feb/March, regardless of whether or not you're selected to interview.