Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Banana Hammock

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How about a new thread for rejections, or are they too personal?

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think it's too personal. it's good to know when you havent heard from a program whether they're just taking their sweet time reviewing applications or you're out of your mind applying to their programs in the first place. i haven't heard from ucla, stanford, ucsf, etc.:rolleyes:

from the posts so far seems like -
UNC, U Penn, Duke are sending out rejections... i guess we are to assume that no news from these schools is good news... ookla, i am waiting on ucla and ucsf as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Michigan

My wife would get mad at me for doing this, but what the hell.

She got rejected from Michigan and Duke, but is taking it rather well.

At what point should we start worrying? I mean, we both expected that once her Dean's Letter was out she would get more interviews. So far the reverse is happening. Should we just assume that if we haven't heard from them by now the remaining schools she has left (which are mostly top tier) will be rejections?

Kind of depressing for her after getting so many interviews pre-Dean's letter.

I am thinking the same thing. I have not heard from anyone after the Dean's Letter went out. It is dissapointing.

Is no news at this point most likely a rejection?

I am so surprised about the lack of response I have had after Nov 1st.:mad:

I guess I just have to accept there is some randomness inherent in this process.

Good everybody with interviews.

yeah, i'd like to know as well -- if no news from a school is equivalent of a rejection... I am waiting to hear from several schools that have either sent out acceptances and/or rejection letters according to this website.

also, when would it be appropriate to call these schools? the problem i am running into - in several cities like Boston and DC/Baltimore, I have heard and scheduled interviews from about half of the programs I have applied to... I would like to do as many interviews as possible in 1 trip to each of these cities to save $$. Please advise!

lastly, a friend of mine who interviewed at Georgetown for Neurology said that the institution is in DEEP financial trouble and that they have absolutely no computerized medical records -- Is this true? still worth interviewing???

ucsf, stanford
bastards!
:rolleyes:

I myself haven't heard good things about Georgetown. A fellow student who is currently doing internal medicine there hates it. Apparently, the hospital or such was brought out by a private company (?)

Is Michigan sending rejections by mail or email? How 'bout the other programs you guys have head from? I've only heard from 2 programs and both notified by email.

Good luck to everyone!

ucsf, but nothing from stanford or ucla yet. should i still hope? or rejections are sending out on a rolling basis too?

Members don't see this ad :)
rejection email from hopkins along with a condescendng little pep talk about not losing hope and not letting this deter me blah, blah, blah...

Post Dean's Letter my wife is 0 for 4 so far. We decided to just say screw it and focus on the programs she already has interviews at. We figure that if we haven't heard from them by now it's as good as a rejection. Agree?

I must say though that we are both shocked that things turned out so badly post Dean's Letter. Never saw it coming!

baylor :( I really wanted that one!!

hopkins (there seems to be a trend). The letter was nice, though, as nice as a rejection letter can be...

That's good...

Because Baylor's rejection letter was awful

I got baylor's too, like 2 weeks ago. bastards... "we would be wasting our time if we interviewed you" :mad:

Originally posted by abu barney
I got baylor's too, like 2 weeks ago. bastards... "we would be wasting our time if we interviewed you" :mad:
Whoa, that's not a real quote, is it?!?

i somewhat rephrased their letter, but the meaning is essentially the same. the hopkins letter goes on and talks about how great an wonderful an applicant you are until you forget you're reading a rejection and then send them a thank you letter. :p

FOR THOSE THAT GOT INTERVIEWS AT BAYLOR, GOOD LUCK, HOPEFULLY THEY WON'T PULL OUT THEIR BASTARDNESS DURING THE INTERVIEW... +pissed+

I agree about Baylor! The paraphrase is very accurate. Whoever wrote the rejection letter is a real arrogant SOB! :mad:

Is Baylor really that good to warrant so much disappointment? It's a pretty malignant program from what I've heard. Anyway, outside of the south, it really isn't that big a name.

upenn rejection via email

ditto, beginning to dread those e-mails without a subject or those with subjects without the word "invitation".

waiting on UCLA and Stanford.....is this a rejection??

Don't be discouraged, we haven't heard any one here with interview from UCLA or Stanford yet. good luck!

penn. damnit!:rolleyes:

waiting on pitt, mich, emory, n'western, g'town, mt. sinai, wisconsin, ohio st, case, colorado

Stanford has given out interviews, last week actually. My roommate got one, not me. I didn't apply there.

I am still waiting to hear from Colorado and Washington, but heard from OHSU this week. Also, have not recieved ANYTHING from UCSF?, but am expecting a rejection from them.

I'm at a top 15 med school, at least according to US News, but ranked at bottom 25%

Nat'l avg step I scores

Rejections from: UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, with more expected this week.

Just curious. For those of you who received an interview at Baylor in Houston, what were your general stats like (i.e. step 1, Texas residency or not, Texas medical school or not, AOA status)? Does doing a rotation at Baylor and earning honors on it increase your chances of obtaining an interview offer?

rejection email from Wash U :(

Has anyone experienced anything like my friends'

she got an invite to a program and then last Friday got an email rejection from the same program.

not sure what the mixup was about, but rejection email was a mistake

rejection from Mayo-Jacksonville which was a total surprise....

my rejection from Mayo-Jacksonville as well.

Rejections today: MGH, Brigham

Interviews today: UW, UCLA

Anyone hear any more from Columbia or Yale?

I would understand your hesitancy, but could some of you guys list your Step I score (maybe if you are new around here or nobody knows your handle). I am finishing my second year and am trying to see how comptetitive I will need to be on the boards to get an IM residency at various programs. Again, I understand if some of you do not want to give out this info. For those that are willing, thanks......

Anybody hear anything from Univ of Wash, Seattle or OHSH, Portland? :confused:

I heard from U Washington on Monday - an interview

Originally posted by blingbling
Anybody hear anything from Univ of Wash, Seattle or OHSH, Portland? :confused:

haven't heard from any of these either :confused:

JJ, wouldn't hold out for too many of the West Coast schools. Regardless of how qualified you are, California schools especially like to take people with connections to the state, for whatever reason.