Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering how many of you guys have been getting rejections. I've applied to 12 programs in early November and have already received 4 rejections --UCSD, Univ of Utah, Vanderbilt, and Oregon Health (just today). No interview spots yet.

This is getting depressing. I hope the trend doesn't continue. Anesthesiology definitely is getting more competitive. I don't think I'm a bad candidate (albeit I have applied later than most applicants).

I hope to cya on the interview circuit soon.

DOMD

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

why did you only apply to 12 programs. i'm sure you knew about the increased competition this year. Don't know what to say. if you haven't heard yet, it's going to be rough. interview spots have been filling like crazy. some programs are filled until late jan. i haven't heard anything new in 2 weeks. so , i'm just expecting to hear rejections from this point. good luck to you. i still don't understand why you only applied to 12 programs. although i did meet a student on my interview trail that only applied to 6 programs. 6 really competitive one too. so, i could be wrong. while on ERAS, i got "click happy" and applied to 40 anesth programs, just for the hella it. it's only money. not like i need any of it.

That's interesting. I didn't realize 12 was a low number. For my first residency (pediatrics) I had applied to 11 programs. At that time, my friends who applied to anesthesiology were applying to 8-10 spots. That was the time if you were a decent U.S. graduate you had a very good chance to any place you desire. Oh, the good ole' days of anesthesiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 50 programs with 11 interviews and 5 rejections to date. Even the bottom of the barrel programs are telling me that they have never seen an applicant pool like this years and most are getting 3-5 times as many applicants as last year. One PD told us that 3 years ago he would've driven to each of our homes to get us to join his program, and now he has 80 applicants with our stats to choose from. Wish you the best of luck, but I think you should start planning a backup as well.

Hey drfeelgood,

how's it out at New eng med center. i get to visit for an interview later in jan, i think. just wondering how it is in downtown boston. i visited boston univ a few weeks ago. liked the program, although i thought it was a bit small for my taste. they seemed very busy though. they told me it was the #1 trauma center in Mass. any thought?