Relating random stuff to medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadHopsMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you relate activities, such as playing a violin, to medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

-"...Now I know that the same skills that made me a passionate, creative musician will help me excel throughout my medical education, and most importantly, my career as a physician".

Or as I prefer, what I call "There Was Only Silence." Enjoy:

"...I held the Stradivarius to my shoulder and tucked it firmly under my chin. As the curve of the worn chinrest found its position against my face, I noticed an unfamiliar moistness that could only be explained as persperation. But why was I so nervous? I had practiced Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum at least one hundred times flawlessly, but now I felt as if it were the very first time. I gazed, dumbfounded, at the sheets of music before me. My hands were shaking, and as I looked out to the crowd of 700 tuxedo-adorned beau monde, I found it hard to even grip the fingerboard. Something was wrong, but why? This wasn't the first time I had performed for a Royal Family. Yet as I began to play, I found myself in what can only be described as a mystical trance. 17 minutes and 37 seconds later, I had finished. I lowered the bow to my side and looked out to the the audience,squinting through the bright stage lights. There was only silence. Then, an uproaring applause. On my first international debut, I was a success. Obviously, I'll be good at surgery and stuff too. " :laugh:

Zoom-Zoom said:
-"Obviously, I'll be good at surgery and stuff too. "

:laugh: Maybe they'll make you physician to the royal family. Or at the very least test their food for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
bodhisattva said:
:laugh: Maybe they'll make you physician to the royal family. Or at the very least test their food for them.
I decided to add a smilie to my post so nobody thinks that was real and/or I am a total nutcase. Creative writing is fun :D

sonyvaio2700 said:
how do you relate activities, such as playing a violin, to medicine?

Why would you? The whole point of being a well rounded individual is that not everything in life is revolved around medicine. Having interests that do not relate to medicine is a positive thing. Those that don't get this don't tend to get accepted.

That being said, if you type "music" into PubMed, you will find thousands of articles studying the benefit of music in a variety of health settings.