Relation between IQ score, MCAT and GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marlonex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a strong relationship?? I was just wondering, maybe some of you can take a test and we can see how it compares to your MCAT....
here is the one I took, I got 126.
http://www.iqtest.com/prep.html?test=final

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't sound very scientifically valid to me, but for the record I was 131 and my first MCAT was a 27R.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really shouldn't do this... but oh well: 135 and 40.

I'd say (without any scientific basis beyond my own reasoning), I'd expect a moderate positive correlation between IQ and MCAT.

This is so dumb...

136, 31

I got a 90:laugh::laugh:. Doesn't that mean I'm retarted?

Might have something to do with the fact that I got bored and just answered true to all the questions.

I was bored at the end (I didn't expect it to be that long), so I stopped trying on the last few.

143, 37R

Just a fun note, I checked to see if any one has actually published on a link between the Wechsler intelligence test and the MCAT score and there doesnt seem to be anything out there.

Don't think there is a correlation.

untitled.jpg

/bored at work.

Members don't see this ad :)
129, 31R.

I don't really believe in the validity of this test, though, since I have taken real IQ tests (which are much different than this one) and have scored slightly better. For those that are curious, here is a score breakdown:

• 70 or less - Definite feeble-mindedness
  • 70-79 - Borderline deficiency
  • 80-89 - Dullness
  • 90-109 - Normal or average intelligence
  • 110-119 - Superior intelligence
  • 120-140 - Very superior intelligence
  • 140 or higher - Genius or near genius

141 and 27Q (I made that with little studying though, retaking this Friday!)

I don't think this test is very valid either. I shouldn't qualify as a "genius."

UPDATED CURVE (lol)

Never going to see a smooth curve because I would expect everyone here to do above average on the IQ test and score from 25-40 on the MCAT. The scalings don't match up either.

Attachments

• Dumb.xls
    15.5 KB · Views: 142
137, 32R

Don't really like that test. A lot of questions were poorly worded.

Man everyone knows their IQ? I don't even remember mine..

Judging by the fact that everyone seems to be 130+, I'd say it's very likely that either:

1) peeps lie

or

2) it's more of a "feel good" IQ test (i.e., biased upward)

Reactions: 1 user
It's not a very good example of an IQ test. MENSA has a sample test of 30 questions on their homepage, and that of course is much more realistic. The one linked above has no visual/picture questions and fill-in-the-blanks that other IQ tests have.

Also, here's a detailed breakdown of the high scores I found:

High IQ & Genius IQ
Genius IQ is generally considered to begin around 140 to 145, representing ~.25% of the population (1 in 400). Here's a rough guide:

115-124 - Above average (e.g., university students)
125-134 - Gifted (e.g., post-graduate students)
135-144 - Highly gifted (e.g., intellectuals)
145-154 - Genius (e.g., professors)
155-164 - Genius (e.g., Nobel Prize winners)
165-179 - High genius
180-200 - Highest genius
>200 - "Unmeasurable genius"

More notes on High IQ and Genius IQ:
Einstein was considered to "only" have an IQ of about 160.
Mensa is a society for people with high IQ, in the top 2% (1 in 50).

Judging by the fact that everyone seems to be 130+, I'd say it's very likely that either:

1) peeps lie

or

2) it's more of a "feel good" IQ test (i.e., biased upward)

I'm betting on "feel good" IQ test. 13 minutes? Seriously, you can gauge someone's intelligence with a 13 minute, 38 question test?

I'm pretty sure this is for entertainment purposes only. Not one of those questions were difficult enough to differentiate a very intelligent person from a genious.

I'm betting on "feel good" IQ test. 13 minutes? Seriously, you can gauge someone's intelligence with a 13 minute, 38 question test?

I'm pretty sure this is for entertainment purposes only. Not one of those questions were difficult enough to differentiate a very intelligent person from a genious.

Yeah, it would need to be much longer and better written to really differentiate, but I did score the same as I always score on all these tests, so it seems somewhat accurate. Besides, these are scores of obviously mainly intelligent people, as most of them will be going to med school, so it's not such a surprise that most of the scores are pretty high.

tested at 10 at 162
tested more recently at 143
I'm getting more stupid lol
practice tests about 35-36
choking on real tests = 29

I normally only study about 5 hours or less per midterm in college thus my GPA is low being 3.5 and I'm horrible at labs. Also I only studied maybe 2 or 2.5 weeks for the MCAT. I'm just cruising along lol.

Either way I believe that basically everyone here is quite smart, at least the higher posting people, so who the hell cares about IQ? Remember we just have 4 primary scores to care about in our lives being SAT, GPA, MCAT and the step 1.

I think the mensa tests are ******ed and more or less correlate towards somewhat sort of relative measure of intelligence. I think I'm intelligent, but no super genius of any sort. Geez, I didn't even come standardly equipped with photographic memory or anything.

On a fun factoid, Mozart was estimated to have a 200 ish IQ score (unmeasurable musical genius).

I am not smart and my MCAT and GPA are well above average. I am not smart.

Is there a strong relationship?? I was just wondering, maybe some of you can take a test and we can see how it compares to your MCAT....
here is the one I took, I got 126.
http://www.iqtest.com/prep.html?test=final
all the online iq tests are complete bs. it needs to be administered by a specially trained psychologist, one-on-one, it takes I think hours to complete, and it costs ~$500,

On a fun factoid, Mozart was estimated to have a 200 ish IQ score (unmeasurable musical genius).
I think all these estimations are complete :bullcrap:, I mean, come one, yeah, he was supergenius of music, but maybe he sucked at logical reasoning, visualization, etc.

Is there any evidence that the test looks at timing? It's one thing to answer those Q's in less than 5 minutes, but if given an hour, it would easy to score close to 100%.

That is not legit by the way. You have to get your IQ professionally measured. Not by true and false questions.

Everyone is a Genious... Or they are too scared to admit they got lower :rolleyes:

141, 29R.... glad there wasn't a verbal section on that test. My score would have plummeted.

I took this test two years ago and got a 138 then just recently took it again and got a 136.

The tests probably have precision, but also low accuracy (lol chapter 1 of chem books)

No MCAT yet >_>

I couldn't resist...goddamn competitiveness...

137, 32

My MCAT and IQ are both 58. Sweet. At least there's some symmetry.

142 31s

That thing's not legit at all.

so most everyone is scoring bw 130-140 and there were 38 questions...ummm is everyone getting 34-36 questions right...or what the hell is wrong with this test?

IQ-167 MCAT-34 GPA-3.71

this is 13 points higher than the IQ I tested in when I was a kid so.....

I can't believe I am wasting my time reading these posts and typing this reply. I must be ******ed...

there would be a better correlation with MCAT, IQ, hours studied for MCAT, and amount of time preping for MCAT.

I remember taking that test a few years ago and I got a:

156, 37

what garbage

I'm taking it again to see how I do

edit: got a 132 this time... huh!? I took the same test 2 years ago @_@ from the same website. Seems more legit this time though =)