relationship between bond strength, energy, and stability.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muhali3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the relationship between bond strength, bond stability, and bond energy? I'm getting confused and am hearing different things.

The way I understand it... Stable bonds are weak bonds and therefore have low energy. Unstable bonds are strong bonds and have high energy.

??? is that right?

Members don't see this ad.

Stable bonds are strong bonds. If something requires little energy to break, or is relatively weak, it's unstable.

Compare a hotdog to a metal post, it takes little energy to break the hotdog but a lot to break the metal post, the metal post is also more sturdy/stable/strong.

Yeah, hotdogs and metal posts. Sounds like a post made after 1am.

You could remember the relationship about bond length if you think about a short wooden board and a long one. Which one is easier to chop in half? The long one. Therefore, that one is weaker.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so, why do I hear sometimes that stable bonds are low energy? I assume they're referring to a different type of energy, not bond energy?

I wish someone had followed up on this question.

My current understanding of bond energy is as follows...

1. Bond energy = energy required to break the bond.

2. Using above definition. Stable bonds are difficult to break and are therefore high in energy. Summarizing: Strong=Stable=High Energy=Shorter.

3. I think that when talking about stable bonds as being "low in energy" that refers to the change in free energy for the reaction. A bond that is strong will not readily react since it is already stable. Therefore it is low in free energy where free energy is the capacity to do work. Conversely a bond that is high in free energy is not stable and can release energy to form more stable bonds. Remember that forming bonds releases energy.

I know this thread has been neglected for a long time, but it's #1 on google so I'll give it some love.

ok so, why do I hear sometimes that stable bonds are low energy? I assume they're referring to a different type of energy, not bond energy?

They have low(er) potential energy in the energy diagram but more energy is needed to break the bonds that make the molecule.

Last edited:
High-energy bond is reactive, unstable, weak and probably long

High bond-energy is unreactive, stable, strong and probably shorter

Word order is absolutely critical here. (Summarized from TBR book section on thermochem.) BTW, yes the "high-energy bond" one would be higher on a reaction diagram

Glad you all brought this post up because its a messy jargon the chemists have for this stuff.

Last edited:

It's an incredibly stupid convention and whoever invented it should be whipped.

Reactions: 1 user