Employment & Professional Networking Relationship between School Ranking and Job opportunity.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kongoppa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have heard that the school ranking does not matter and as long as you have the licenses, you'll be hired as soon as you graduate. However, when I read different threads from other websites, people say that nowadays its really hard to find a full-time job, and many companies would only give PRN spots. So I was wondering if I get into a much higher ranked school, will I be offered a full time as soon as I graduate..

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good question. I’ll be attending pitt and it’s ranked 4th in the nation. I’m hoping it’ll help me maybe get an entry level job in home health ..

This is a good question. I’ll be attending pitt and it’s ranked 4th in the nation. I’m hoping it’ll help me maybe get an entry level job in home health ..

Generally they want you to have experience in something before going into home health. It's tough because you don't get much support, from the OTs I've talked to.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Generally they want you to have experience in something before going into home health. It's tough because you don't get much support, from the OTs I've talked to.
Yeah that’s what the OTs say that I know as well. Sooooo I’m leaning towards more SNF. Something with the geriatric population until I gain the needed experience for home health!

IMO, it seems to mostly matter if you're trying to go to school in the area you want to work or your school has an affiliation with a specific place. I think it's more about networking than reputation. At both of my level IIs, the majority of OTs completed their level IIs at that site. I wouldn't expect to get a job there just because you completed something there, but still. If a school has been around longer, it's going to have a greater alumni base to reach out to.

In regards to the school-area thing, this is where reputation seems to matter somewhat. My school is ranked in the top 10, and it's really only recognised in my geographic region. A COTA from a different area had never heard of my school, for example.

Yeah that’s what the OTs say that I know as well. Sooooo I’m leaning towards more SNF. Something with the geriatric population until I gain the needed experience for home health!

Some SNFs are decent. As long as you're careful to choose a place with decent productivity rates, I've heard it can be a fine first job.

Reactions: 1 user
No, school ranking doesn't really matter, not even if you are trying to get a job near where you went to school. I did not go to a top-ranked school and had no problem getting a job, which I got via fieldwork experience, by being an excellent fieldwork student and showing that I was someone who was a capable employee. I also live in a major metro area that is not too far from a very highly ranked school (that I did not go to and decided not to apply to because it simply wasn't the best fit for me).

Reactions: 1 user
Wow congratz!! I have been waitlisted for Pitt, do you know if their class filled up now?? I have not received any emails yet after I was notified as waitlisted.

just curious, how can you get the experience right after graduation if, companies are looking for OTs who has experience at least for more than a year?

From my experience working in healthcare administration and working around clinicians -- if you are personable, show that you are knowledgeable in the field and have good interviewing skills, you have a shot anywhere. I do not know any one therapist at my work who was hired solely based on their graduate school. I have actually never heard of that being a thing in healthcare unless you are a doctor applying to a hospital for residency positions. I think we will all be fine.

Wow congratz!! I have been waitlisted for Pitt, do you know if their class filled up now?? I have not received any emails yet after I was notified as waitlisted.
I am not sure! They emailed us this morning about registrating us into our classes and documents we have to fill out by May 15.. don’t lose hope!

I am not sure! They emailed us this morning about registrating us into our classes and documents we have to fill out by May 15.. don’t lose hope!
Yea :( can't lose hope yet...I'm dying to get accepted...