relationship dilemmas!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aecuenca

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone!

i thought a good post would be about how people that got admitted will deal with their relationships with their significant others. It's started to come up recently between my girlfriend and I, and though we would only be an hour and a half from each other, there's a big possibility she will be moving to another area, even another state because of her career goals. She has been the best thing that's happened to me re: a relationship, but there's always that reality check and so i've decided that if she is too far away and she doesn't want to continue it, then i'll just let it go. I only want her to be happy and have no regrets in her life (or mine) so you never know...in a few years if we're still single then i can see us try it again. any thoughts or similar situations?

Members don't see this ad.

aecuenca,

I kinda have the same situation as you. My girlfriend wants to go to graduate school and I want to go to med school. Our solution, is to try to get into the same school. She's filling out applications as I write. Thank goodness the school we both want to go to can educate both of us in our respective career choices.

DocGibby

Whether or not a relationship lasts, especially a long distance one, depends on how close you are with your significant other. aecuenca, I'm glad to hear you say that you won't tie your girlfriend down by forcing her to stay with you because such a relationship cannot last and you'll only end up hating each other when it's all over. That's not to say that you two shouldn't try hard to stay together but one person is dead set on moving on, then that's the way it's got to be.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you guys. I'm in a in a long distance relationship (3 hour drive) with my girlfriend and while it's tough not seeing her all the time, at least we get to be together for weekends. Unfortunatey, that will change by next year when she goes off to dental school. Since there are no dental school near KCOM except U of MO,KC, which only takes MO residents, this means we will only be seeing each other a couple of times a year. Fortunately, we've been prepared for this (talked about it) and neither or us doubt that we will last. It also helps that we've been with each other for 5 years.

My opinion is that maintaining a long distance relationship during med school is perhaps the greatest test of any relationship. If you make it through this, there a 99% chance that you will stay together for the rest of your lives. If yo don't make it, at least you found out now that you just weren't meant to be together. Best wishes to your relationships.

I have a good one for all of you. I currently live 7 hours from my fiance who is in chiropractic school in Davenport, Iowa. It has been this way for about 8 months now. We are getting married in June and, as things look, we will not be living together then, either. Unfortunately, this is not how it was suppose to turn out. I was hoping to get into school in Iowa....then we found out that Des Moines is 3 hours from Davenport (so we still couldn't live together) and that you can get shipped around your last two years of school there (my doctor went there) to different states. Well, I felt that that was worse than driving 7 hours to see him now. So, now I am hoping that maybe I will get into KCOM because it won't be that far of a drive for us. I don't think that long distance relationships are that bad based on how strong of a committment that you have. My fiance and I are very busy with extracurricular activities (he is into sports) and school (chiropractic school is extremely demanding). I know that you can definitely make it work, though. Definitely.
The best part of it is the reunions!!! I wish you luck...if you have any questions feel free to ask! I am a pretty open person (just ask Docgibby!) mhc