Relationships in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a pre-dent in a serious relationship (living together 3 yrs.). I'm just wondering how many of you current dental students entered dental school in serious relationships, and if you ended up regretting it in the end. Does being in dental school and juggling a serious relationship cut down on your study time, your social life revolving around school, or just "your" time to relax? Would you do it differently if you could do it over again? Ahh, nothing like having two tests the next day and having a fight the night before to make you lose your focus. Thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Slash
I'm currently a pre-dent in a serious relationship (living together 3 yrs.). I'm just wondering how many of you current dental students entered dental school in serious relationships, and if you ended up regretting it in the end. Does being in dental school and juggling a serious relationship cut down on your study time, your social life revolving around school, or just "your" time to relax? Would you do it differently if you could do it over again? Ahh, nothing like having two tests the next day and having a fight the night before to make you lose your focus. Thoughts anyone?
I'm a first-year, and I've been with my fiancée for a little over two years now. We'll be getting married halfway through my D2 year (this coming December), and I personally can't wait for it. I love the support that comes from a healthy relationship, and the biggest aggravation I have is that we don't get to see each other nearly as much as before I graduated last May (she's a junior at the same college). I'm much better off for having Rachel to help with the stress of school. :D

good luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really interested in this also.... please keep the advice coming :)

I, personally, am going after a med. student when I go to D-school.

Originally posted by Slash

I guess you have to know how to handle your spouse. Do not bring stress from school to home and try your best to have few quality hours per week together. My wife is helping lots with my DH school now. I let her handle all the patients appointments, follow up on the recall and check on the patient after my treatment. If I attend dental school this coming year, I will ask her to do again for me. Just let your spouse involve into your school projects, you will not regret it.

Originally posted by larryt
I guess you have to know how to handle your spouse.

Owch! handle?? :confused: That's certainly not the way I treat my spouse.

Tell me that's not the way u meant it??? :(

Originally posted by trypmo
Owch! handle?? :confused: That's certainly not the way I treat my spouse.

Tell me that's not the way u meant it??? :(

Treat her nicely anyway possible.

To handle your spouse: Shut your mouth whenever she gets angry and bit$h for little things. Just admit that is your fault although you know the truth. Hope it will help you to survive the 4 crazy dental school years and your relationship.