Relationships w/ dental companies - ortho vs pedo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Montrealer

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering:
is it just me or ortho residents are getting a lot of freebies from the dental companies such as 3M, ect ( I mean things like all expenses paid trips to Vegas and such:eek: ) while us pedo residents dont get that much attention from companies.

Any input or personal experiences are welcome...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about ortho, but pedo doesn't get JACK %$#*!

Freebies for ortho usually come in the form of lunch and learns. Pizza and pop are usually provided. I heard GAC (one of the three biggest ortho products companies) provided residents free trips to Vegas last year. Sadly, I haven't benefitted from anything like that.

The big companies--GAC, 3M-Unitek, and Ormco--generally wave the tuition for most continuing education courses. Yet, so far haven't gotten free plane tickets or nights at hotels. That's my experience at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
just wondering:
is it just me or ortho residents are getting a lot of freebies from the dental companies such as 3M, ect ( I mean things like all expenses paid trips to Vegas and such:eek: ) while us pedo residents dont get that much attention from companies.

Any input or personal experiences are welcome...

Don't most pedo residents also get paid in the ballpark of $40K per year of training? Many of the ortho residents borrowing to pay the dental school $40K per year of training. Quit complaining and buy a ticket to Vegas yourself.

There was a Unitek conference in Orlando 2 weekends ago that several schools attended - they bought us the flight and hotels. However, there wasn't really much time to do anything other than attend the lectures.

Don't most pedo residents also get paid in the ballpark of $40K per year of training? Many of the ortho residents borrowing to pay the dental school $40K per year of training. Quit complaining and buy a ticket to Vegas yourself.

Yeah, but you ortho guys will be making so much more than us when you graduate.

The pedo residents at my school are getting offers as high as the ortho residents.

I would be happy if I made as much as the pediatric dentists do there first year. Most orthos I know are starting significantly lower.

pedo is where the money is
ive heard 100K/yr per day/wk for an associate - meaning 300K/yr for 3 days a week, etc

pedo is where the money is
ive heard 100K/yr per day/wk for an associate - meaning 300K/yr for 3 days a week, etc

That's definitely not the norm. Avg salary I see is 150-200k, places like california it's on the low end because the demand is so high. Some places it's possible to make more than 200k but more times than not that's in a pedo mill, where the only people who go are the ones who sell their souls.

As far as the free trip, who cares.

I would be happy if I made as much as the pediatric dentists do there first year. Most orthos I know are starting significantly lower.

It's sad to learn what some current orthos with money-printing machines think starting salaries for associate docs should be. $80K? Come on, newbie orthos have huge loans to pay and families to feed! Pathetic. :( The whole point of this Florida trip was that the future is so bright for ortho. I think they even said "It's the platinum age!" But that's not always the bright story I hear from those out there looking for a practice...