Relative importance of MS1 / semester 1 courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetaXeta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the relative importance / more highly represented topics on Step 1 between:

1) embryology
2) physiology
3) anatomy
4) histology
5) cell biology
6) biochem

I realize that there is some overlap between these topics, but I was hoping to get an idea of what topics are more prevalent from people who have gone through step 1.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

BetaXeta said:
What is the relative importance / more highly represented topics on Step 1 between:

1) embryology
2) physiology
3) anatomy
4) histology
5) cell biology
6) biochem

I realize that there is some overlap between these topics, but I was hoping to get an idea of what topics are more prevalent from people who have gone through step 1.

Thanks.

This is just speaking from my own exam, so you'll need to get several other opinions:

1) Embryo: There's embryo on Step 1? Seriously, I had like 3 or 4 questions and they were easy.
2) Physio: TONS of it, mostly in the form of tables or various labs with up/down arrows. That and triple jump questions which make you think about physio in the middle. Probably the number 1 first-year subject tested on Step 1.
3) Anatomy: I had like 4 gross questions, all straight out of FA. Neuroanatomy is a different story though...(ie lots of it).
4) Histo: Maybe a few pics, but really not that much as I recall. Histo is a pretty low-yield subject to study and you pick up the basics reviewing cell bio.
5) Cell Bio: A good one to review as the subject permeates many other topics. I had a good amount of questions that drew on Cell Bio concepts.
6) Biochem: Like cell bio you're sure to see questions. I had some weird disease questions and some basic mechanisms. This varies a lot test to test as some people seem to get a lot more than others.

Hope that helps, best of luck! :thumbup:

For me:

Embryo was least represented.
Then Histo
Then Cell Bio and Biochem, about the same
Then Physio (it's hard to say how much physio there was b/c some questions are "pure" physio and some are tied into pathology. i'm just counting pure physio here)
Then Anatomy (Gross and Neuro both heavily tested)

anatomy > biochemistry > cell biology > physiology > embryology > histology