Relax - it really isn't that bad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smc927

El Flaquito
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So you're taking the MCAT soon. Your brain is full, your nerves frazzled, your friends estranged. You've been working hard. And you still feel unprepared.

I only had 3 weeks prep time for the August MCAT (and was working full time during that time). I didn't get all the way through all of my review books. I hadn't had organic II or physics II.

When I arrived at the testing location I decided to just let myself relax and trust that things would work out. "I made it this far, didn't I?" After every MCAT question I closed my eyes, inhaled deeply (then exhaled), cleared the previous question out of my mind and moved on.

It was tough. Some parts were frustrating. But it was not as bad as I thought it would be!

My score - 29. Yes, that is too low for some people. For a guy who preped only 3 weeks, short 2 courses, working full time with a family to take care of, I was very happy with my score. And I got into my top 2 choices.

No imagine how well you are going to do. You've taken the classes. You've studied long and hard. You are ready. You are ready. You will rock this test!!!

Take the day before the MCAT off. Relax and enjoy life. You'll do great.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for that. In fact, I came to the forum today hoping someone would have some words of encouragement! I am in much the same situation as you were so today, for me, you've kept hope alive!!

Members don't see this ad :)
smc thank you so much for that. you are so right that if you don't suceed you can simply try again. i saved up 2 weekis of my vacation time to study. but there is only so much studing that you can do before you go absolutely nuts.

you've done all you can now...no point in fretting over anything you didn't do. just relax and do as best as you can! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Yeah, everyone look at how calm Psycho is now. Last August he was far more neurotic than any of you. :laugh:

seriously.
do a post search. it was out of control :)

ExplodingBoy said:
Yeah, everyone look at how calm Psycho is now. Last August he was far more neurotic than any of you. :laugh:
now, now, it's time to forget the past :D My point is worrying and freaking out will only be counter productive.

My words of advice......

Don't freak out.....

You need a healthy balance of anxiety and adrenalin but don't let it overwhelm you...too much anxiety will kill you on the test.

Keep a good pace...don't let panic keep you from moving through the questions. Speed is essential to completing on time.

If you think you are doing poorly, don't panic. You're probably doing better than you think. And your frame of mind will influence your ability to think through the questions.

If you think you screwed up a section, don't let it get to you b/c it will set the tone for all the other sections. Once a section is done, put it out of your mind and move on. You need to be optimal for each section and worrying over what's already done will only hinder your progress on the next section.

Breathe..inhale...exhale...inhale...exhale......

Best of luck!