Relearning bio EK vs TPR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phixius12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wanted to get your opinion on something. I haven't taken bio in quite awhile so I am very rusty on my bio. I've heard some people swear by both TPR and EK, but I've never asked if the people who used EK were still quite fresh with their bio knowledge. Can anyone offer some advice on which would be a better resource if I basically had to relearn my bio? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

TPR; the more details you know, the less intimidating the passages will seem. I personally used TPR Bio and supplemented it with my Physiology textbook and online videos, and I've been getting 12-15 on BS of TPR practice tests. Since you have time, TBR might even be good, and their passages will be easier if you read their chapters.

TPR is pretty detailed. It was relatively easy for me to self-teach the bio portion to me, since I had not taken intro bio in a few years and did not know anything about anatomy. I ended up with a 14 BS on the real exam.

Best way to go I feel is read EK entirely at first. Then read TPR bio for its molecular bio section, genetics, micro bio, and enzymes/enzyme kinetics. EK should be fine for all the physiology chapters (no need to read TPR for that). Those sections I mentioned to read from TPR seem to be emphasized hard on MCAT so having the extra detail would be good, especially since EK for those sections is lacking.

If you really have to relearn bio, then do both. TPR and EK are both excellent sources and the combination will make you even stronger. Good luck!