release from active duty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeanWormer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's required to get officially out? my commitment (hpsp) ends 2007 and i came to active duty as an intern on June 2002 thus I assume June 2007 I'm a free man as long as I give 9-12 months notice....correct me if wrong?

My clinic billet orders are for 3 years and end Aug 2008 if i decide to stay an extra six months past my commitment ending (summer 2007) and don't take the bonus (GMO 15,000) for 2007-2008 can I get out with proper notice, of course? I'd like to stay 6 months after my official release but 6 months before these orders end.

If I don't take the bonus for that year and under no obligated service then with proper notice they can't force me to stay for the six months remaining?

Members don't see this ad.

DeanWormer said:
what's required to get officially out? my commitment (hpsp) ends 2007 and i came to active duty as an intern on June 2002 thus I assume June 2007 I'm a free man as long as I give 9-12 months notice....correct me if wrong?

My clinic billet orders are for 3 years and end Aug 2008 if i decide to stay an extra six months past my commitment ending (summer 2007) and don't take the bonus (GMO 15,000) for 2007-2008 can I get out with proper notice, of course? I'd like to stay 6 months after my official release but 6 months before these orders end.

If I don't take the bonus for that year and under no obligated service then with proper notice they can't force me to stay for the six months remaining?

You are entitled to be released at your EAOS provided you 1., request a release (there is a standard letter you have to send to do this), 2., have not taken any bonus payments or signed any contracts that would extend you beyond the EAOS date, and 3., are not subject to stop-loss. I have seen doctors separate while on deployment (and have been tapped to fill in for some who have done that). I think there is a minimum advance notice you are supposed to give before separation so that you can be scheduled for a lot of administrative "counseling" that everyone is supposed to have before leaving active duty.