Releasing of COMLEX/USMLE scores to path programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freakedout06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an ostepathic medical student applying into path and I took USMLE Step 1 & 2 and COMLEX level 1&2, however my USMLE scores are nothing spectacular, and my COMLEX level I is defnitely alot better. Some programs will take COMLEX instead of USMLE, so I was thinking about only releasing the COMLEX transcript. I believe on ERAS it said that I do have to state that I have taken the exam though. How negatively would programs view this, since they will know that I've taken USMLE?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends.

At the places I was at, my feeling is that everyone would have asked for the USMLE score since that's what the vast majority of people are familiar with and understand, therefore they feel more comfortable in interpreting the score (if they know you have taken it). I don't think that many PD's are intimately familiar with COMLEX. You still have a talking point in an interview, though, addressing similarities and differences, and people will probably want to know why the difference in your scores between the two.