Releasing Schools - Etiquette?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

04DukeBio

Insomniac Pomegranate
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm going to be releasing WLs and will be writing snail mail letters to each school notifying them of my decision. Haven't written or sent one yet, but I want to ASAP, considering I just finally received all my financial aid stuff... and can now say for sure I'm going to Northwestern.

One quick question, though...

Is it bad taste to mention what school you will be going to, as sort of a reason for not staying on a WL (or rejecting an acceptance offer)? It's probably not necessary to say, but I'd think it'd be helpful for the schools involved to know what school(s) are taking some of their students :>

Anyways, an answer to that question and any other release letter advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

04DukeBio

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is in good taste to mention the school you are going to. If I had to guess, I doubt they care, and it's sorta rubbing it in their face that you chose someone else over them. Leave that out of your letter.

I also would suggest e-mailing before you send out the snail-mail. That way, the process goes a lot faster and frees up spots quicker for others. Many schools will accept a withdrawal via e-mail, while some will acknowledge the withdrawal via e-mail, but ask you to send in the snail-mail as well.

Ah, ok... thanks! It does sound a lot more like a faux pas when it's explained :) I'll get to work on contacting my schools then. Hopefully I can contribute to the waitlist shift in a few weeks :p Good luck, y'all.

Members don't see this ad :)
04DukeBio said:
Ah, ok... thanks! It does sound a lot more like a faux pas when it's explained :) I'll get to work on contacting my schools then. Hopefully I can contribute to the waitlist shift in a few weeks :p Good luck, y'all.

Hey 04DukeBio!

Congrats on making your final decision. I hope I am not prying but are you releasing a waitlist at Yale or especially UPenn? I know I sound desperate but I :love: UPenn. :D

Ah, sorry DRJ2B...

Yale and UPenn both gave me very curt rejection letters a while back.

No :love: from the Northeast for me ;>

04DukeBio