Releasing Step 2 scores and ECFMG certification status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering.

When I released my USMLE transcript, I only released my Step 1 scores. I didn't put down the option for my step 2 scores to be released automatically.
(still waiting to see my scores)

But my ECFMG certificate status will probably show that I'm certified for the match now. If per chance I'm not happy with my CK score and dont feel that releasing it will help my application....

Programs will know that I've taken and passed the exam but aren't releasing the score?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering.

When I released my USMLE transcript, I only released my Step 1 scores. I didn't put down the option for my step 2 scores to be released automatically.
(still waiting to see my scores)

But my ECFMG certificate status will probably show that I'm certified for the match now. If per chance I'm not happy with my CK score and dont feel that releasing it will help my application....

Programs will know that I've taken and passed the exam but aren't releasing the score?

If you are an FMG, you should release all scores. Many programs are going to pass on you without all of your scores. While many programs take and interview FMGs, they are usually scrutinized more closely. Don't try to hide anything with the residency process. You might find that you don't have any interviews or not enough to match. Release everything and let the chips fall where they may. Step II is not much of a factor in residency selection anyway so the worse that can happen is that you fail and have to retake; in which case, the score doesn't matter. If you passed, that's fine too.

The conversation in the screening meeting will go something like this: This guy/gal didn't release Step II scores, let's not send out an invitation unless we don't have enough candidates (application placed in a will call pile). Another conversation: This guy/gal dropped on Step II but they passed, lets send out an invite and see how they interview or this guy/gal failed Step II but passed later; Step I looks good so send the invite for interview.

If you are an FMG, you should release all scores. Many programs are going to pass on you without all of your scores. While many programs take and interview FMGs, they are usually scrutinized more closely. Don't try to hide anything with the residency process. You might find that you don't have any interviews or not enough to match. Release everything and let the chips fall where they may. Step II is not much of a factor in residency selection anyway so the worse that can happen is that you fail and have to retake; in which case, the score doesn't matter. If you passed, that's fine too.

The conversation in the screening meeting will go something like this: This guy/gal didn't release Step II scores, let's not send out an invitation unless we don't have enough candidates (application placed in a will call pile). Another conversation: This guy/gal dropped on Step II but they passed, lets send out an invite and see how they interview or this guy/gal failed Step II but passed later; Step I looks good so send the invite for interview.

For IMGs step 2 is an important factor in the residency process. You will notice a spike in interview invites once you receive a passing score on both steps!

got my score, its about the same as step 1 just a tad bit lower. So I re-released my scores.

thanks for the help.