1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Religion okay or taboo?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 6-8 Weeks, Jul 21, 2001.

1. 6-8 Weeks

6-8 Weeks Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My faith is very important to me and has had a large impact on my life. I know that what I have gained from it will help me be a better physician. I don't want to hide such a big part of me, but how should I go about approaching it without offending someone who might not be religious or have different beliefs than I?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Denilson

Denilson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah, i'm a Christian and sometimes i feel like i may be discriminated against, but i figured that if it's His will for me to be a doctor, no atheist admicom can keep me from getting in...also, i mentioned my faith here and there in my application (post-sec experiences), but i went all out for the u chicago secondaries...i just didn't are, they ask what priciples you live by and i'm writing that i try to model my life like JC :) good luck! ;)

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Hell, I am not religious, but I don't see how being religious is going to hurt your chances. There are a lot of religious doctors and plus, being religious will help you serve a particular community much better b/c you will be able to know where they are coming from. I think I am at a HUGE disadvantage not having a religion b/c I don't want the adcoms to think I am insensitive to those who do have a religion (when last time I checked I think is a major part of the population :) ) The only thing you need to keep away from is saying others who are not in your religion will not be saved or something like that. My ex girlfriend told me that my Hindu friends and I were all going to hell and she was going to Heaven b/c she was a good Christian. Haha, I dumped that girl so quick after that little argument. If you don't come off like her, you'll be fine. Having a little divine inspiration will not come off bad at all. Just don't have it be the ONLY factor in your application to med school. If I was religious, I would totally stand up for it. Jeez, would you really want to go to a doctor who is not confident with his/her beliefs? I am not going to express my lack of religion b/c I don't see having a lack of religion as being a guiding force for me in any way. However, you said that you want to live your life like Jesus, well then that is a guiding principle and something that should be included. Oh, and if you really do feel that others without your religion are going to Hell, then I don't want you to be a doctor...and tell the adcoms all your beliefs...If not, then good luck!
    :cool:

5. jordews

jordews Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hehe no offense but when youre saying your trying to live your life like JC it brings up a funny memory from that movie "Meet the parents". "JC was a jew! your in good company!" what a great movie.

6. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The only time I see religion to be a problem is if you impose your religion upon others.... So just make sure that when a moral/ethical question is asked of you during an interview that you don't make it sound like you're imposing your religion on the patient. This does not mean to shun your religion, it just means to choose your words wisely....

7. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My opinion: leave the religion at home. It's a personal preference on how to guide your own life and since it won't affect how you treat your patients, it should stay at home.

Andrew

8. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It shouldn't but it does.... thus making it an issue....

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think I would tend to disagree with both ajr and popoy (not to be confrontation or anything :))--I think it (the fact that I'm Christian) will and should affect how I treat patients, since that's where all of my ethical views are coming from. But anyway. Yeah, in response to the original post, I've wondered the same thing about how to approach this on applications. My response has been basically to give it to them when they ask for it and at no other time. In AMCAS I included it some in personal statement and in the extracurriculars where it was relevent, and Chicago basically has that one "give us your best religious soapbox" question. Noplace else so far seems too interested, but I know it'll come up in interviews . . ..

10. Kevo

Kevo Member
    10+ Year Member

my input... i worked as a youth minister before applying. actually i was planning to be a minister when i started college, so i wrote about that in my personal essay.
    i figure if they look down on that, then thats just something that i'll have to live with because it was such a big factor in me getting where i am today. don't hide it. be honest. (but like someone said above, don't be pushy either)

11. kris

kris Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think moderation is the key here.

While I tend to agree with ajr, I think adcomms realize that many, many people are religious.

On the other hand, you don't want to infuse all your answers with your religious beliefs, or might come across as a raving fundamentalist, or as someone who is incapable of keeping religion in its proper place in medicine. I hope you know what I mean.

I found zero occasion in my interviews to bring up any religious beliefs.

I think if you have beliefs about how something should be done socially, you can often articulate those beliefs without necessarily mentioning their religious basis. Even, say, christians differ on social policy.

I do think that sometimes bringing up religion as the pure support for something like a social/political position can be detrimental if brought up unwisely. It may appear as if that's the sole reasoning behind your position, and that may appear dogmatic.

Does that make any sense? It's difficult to articulate in such small bites, but I hope I've conveyed my point.

On the other hand, there are some very good med schools you can apply to that are strongly faith-based. Loma Linda and Baylor(?) come to mind. Is Baylor one of them? I'm not sure anymore.
    What religion is at issue here anyway?--perhaps you can find a school that really suits you. Albert Einstein also comes to mind.

12. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Apparently you didn't read my comments.... I said it does affect the patient care and it will come up.... The only suggestion I made was that you might not want to impose it on others....

13. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

That someone was Me :D (Are you paying attention grasshopper?)

That's absolute right, don't hide your religion, just don't impose it on others....

14. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Jeepers I get myself into trouble a lot around here. :) Sorry for the misunderstanding, Popoy.

15. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's all good :D I hope I didn't offend you.... See ya' 'round the forums :cool:

16. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

Hello.

Good thread going here. It would be sad for someone to feel that in this country God and spirituality as a whole would be taboo. there is a slow erosion of religion over the past decades in Europe, yet religion and 'God' in the wider sense is very much alive and omniscient :) in the States.

There was a great article in the most recent Fortune 500 about God in the workplace, where a few CEO's and other top execs demonstrated how their guidance to do good for their fellow man, make the best product/service and be a good family person kept them from being stuck on the BOTTOM DOLLAR capitalistic view that corrupts and misguides so many others. [you can probably predict which side of the 12 ft. wall I would've been at in Genoa this weekend...]

Here's my advice: The basic tenents of good-will and karma are universally accepted, and though they are what TRUE religion dictates, it would be more acceptable at interviews and in essays to use the above or related terms instead of christianity, JC, judiasm, islam, buddhism, hinduism, etc.. because of the stigma that these faiths preach exclusiveness and superiority.
    later

17. Denilson

Denilson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

this country has been founded on Christian principles and that GOD is in our currency as well, but the country as a whole seems to get rid of GOD now that prosperity as set in...

18. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think so, but maybe you're right....

19. 6-8 Weeks

6-8 Weeks Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Gosh, I hope the adcoms are knowledgable enough to not stereotype religions that way, because I doubt many of them teach superiority. Superiority... makes me think of fascist regimes.

20. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

The country may have been FOUNDED on Christian principles, but the country was definitely not BUILT with them. The pride of America is its melting pot atmosphere and the ability for all faiths and beliefs to be shared. SO while Christianity provided the pot, all other religions, beliefs, and values provided the flavor to the stew cooking inside :)
    I don't think God has been abandoned b/c of "prosperity." I think that there are many reasons. First, we have been able to disprove many myths that used to pervade past stories and legends. I am not saying God is a myth, but I am saying that people have found that many things are not always as they seem and what cannot be proved is not real in the eyes of a 21st century person. Secondly, Christianity especially has felt the backlashes to their previous methods of conversion such as "let's kill everyone if they don't convert," "You are evil and will go to hell if you don't accept Jesus as your saviour," and especially those pieces of paper that would free you from your sins if you bought them. These wrong ways have been brought to light turning many people off to religion, especially Christianity.
    The last reason I can think of off the top of my head is that religion is associated with the far right, and many of us are becoming more and more liberal. We accept homosexuality, stem cell research, etc etc and the church is sooooo SLOW to make any changes. The church is still against protection during sex b/c it blocks a human life from being formed...all of which stems from the homonculous theory (I think that is the name...) It says there is a little person in each sperm of man and a woman's egg only provides a fertile ground for the man/woman in the sperm to grow. Thus, wearing a condom is killing all those little men in the sperm...and so is jerking off! If the church would get it's act together and catch up with the times I think more people might be more likely to accept it as well.
    ah well...I hope this sparks some debate
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

21. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

You would hope and think so. Yet these are humans and people are judegmental subconsciously. As Scooby noted, everything in the mainstream culture about Christianty reminds us of the follies or humorous side of it. I am not here to discuss the TRUE christianity and other religions, which all of you educated folk should know are not what the movies and other media display, but are truly great guidelines to live your life by.

We all know the stories of people that get into a top10 and rejected flat out by middle teir schools. SO back to the original question of this post: bring up religion? My answer is still 'not in so many words' It's better to play it safe and use spirituality or faith instead of JC, Moses, Mohammed and God.

That same Fortune 500 article I mentioned stated that in Europe, which is MUCH more secular than we are, about 50% of individuals beleive some sort of God exists. In America, it was an astonishing 90%. Yet when they were asked about the merits of religion, only 60% beleived it to be a 'good thing'