Religious females (or males) in omm lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkprincess246

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dress conservatively and do not feel comfortable being in just a sports bra. I also don't feel comfortable being extensively palpated by individuals of the other gender. will schools allow me to have female partners only or not have to take off my shirt? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We have a couple of Muslim females (OMS-IIs) that switch partners depending which body region we practice. The profs/fellows haven't had problems with it so far.

Reactions: 1 users
I dress conservatively and do not feel comfortable being in just a sports bra. I also don't feel comfortable being extensively palpated by individuals of the other gender. will schools allow me to have female partners only or not have to take off my shirt? Thanks!
It depends I'd imagine. For example at my school part of the matriculation paperwork requires you to sign a document saying that you are aware that medical education involves physical examination and touch by and on both genders in sometimes otherwise sensitive areas and that you will participate. I know there are some labs I don't want performed on me due to injury risk (HVLA). So in that case I'll most likely have to sacrifice those points. However I think it's important to realize that there are physiological differences between the genders and in order to be a competent physician you will have to perform practice examinations on male classmates and in order for them to become competent they will have to practice on you. It's just part of medical school from what I've seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends I'd imagine. For example at my school part of the matriculation paperwork requires you to sign a document saying that you are aware that medical education involves physical examination and touch by and on both genders in sometimes otherwise sensitive areas and that you will participate. I know there are some labs I don't want performed on me due to injury risk (HVLA). So in that case I'll most likely have to sacrifice those points. However I think it's important to realize that there are physiological differences between the genders and in order to be a competent physician you will have to perform practice examinations on male classmates and in order for them to become competent they will have to practice on you. It's just part of medical school from what I've seen.

Thanks for the response!
I understand that it is important to work with different body types. but I have more of a problem with being worked on myself but different genders than working on them. there will be plenty of females who will feel comfortable with being worked on, so I don't see how me not being worked on will necessary serve as a disadvantage to others.

Thanks for the response!
I understand that it is important to work with different body types. but I have more of a problem with being worked on myself but different genders than working on them. there will be plenty of females who will feel comfortable with being worked on, so I don't see how me not being worked on will necessary serve as a disadvantage to others.
I agree with you, but based on the documents I had to sign they don't really leave much room to get out of it if you are out in that situation i.e. Your lab partner for a block ends up being male. Hopefully your fellows and professor will be accommodating.

At my school (with a pretty intense OMM department), there was an all girls lab group for those who felt uncomfortable with male partners and they would pair them with girls for the lab practicals. I don't see why it would be an issue unless you have a super crazy professor.

Unfortunately, like others have said, you do sign paperwork agreeing to do all the weird crap we do in OMM so I don't really know what recourse you'd have if they say no. Hopefully it won't come to that though.

talk to OMM staffs nicely first; most the time they will comply. If not, report to Student Affair for discriminations based on religion, the school will fold then

I'm very conservative religious, and I'll offer that it's hard to hide behind religious reasons that no guy touch you in class if you're willing to touch all the guys.

Maybe just be a little more frank with yourself about the reason being that you just don't like it.

I wasn't really comfortable with pubic symphisis day either but we all got through it. And besides (not teasing you here, being serious) as a lady the omm room won't be nearly as awkward as having to do genital exams on dudes and having to put in foleys...

Reactions: 10 users
Yes, every school will accommodate to you to avoid a lawsuit. Also every school will want to have you because "diversity." Nothing to worry about.

Part of being an adult is moving out of your comfort zone. It's awkward for everyone the first time but then you quickly realize it's not a big deal.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm very conservative religious, and I'll offer that it's hard to hide behind religious reasons that no guy touch you in class if you're willing to touch all the guys.

Basically this. I'm also conservative religiously and while I think most schools would accommodate you it's hard to use that as a reason when you don't care about reversing the roles. The human body is essence of medicine, and there are far more awkward things than OMM lab. Also you get used to it real quick and the awkwardness leaves after the first day honestly. I think all the girls feel a little uncomfortable in just a sports bra day one, and the guys do too just chilling with their shirt off.

So - in our OMM lab at TCOM in 2006-2008, we had 2 Muslim females that were covered with the exception of the wrists and face -- they were always partnered together and it wasn't a big deal. You get all kinds -- we had the generic, no worries crowd, the crowd who had to be told to put on underwear underneath their OMM shorts, the crowd who were gym rats/runners, the crowd who wore spandex tights, and the crowd who were well-upholstered and difficult to palpate anyway. The OMM department was rather accommodating. Just ask.

Don't build it up in your mind -- after about the first 1 or 2 sessions you realize that body parts are body parts, it's clinical, not sexual, attractive classmates are just that but no one (usually) is model beautiful.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At KYCOM everyone wears scrubs for OMM. They don't require you to take shirts off for OMM or clinical exam. Also you can request a female partner for both.

Your school will accommodate you. There's like 5 or 6 religious muslim females in my lab. They have zero problems.

add to list of unpleasant things to endure whilst in school.

Reactions: 1 user

Maybe just be a little more frank with yourself about the reason being that you just don't like it.

I wasn't really comfortable with pubic symphisis day either but we all got through it. And besides (not teasing you here, being serious) as a lady the omm room won't be nearly as awkward as having to do genital exams on dudes and having to put in foleys...
Or ischial tuberosity day.

I was gonna say... sacrotuberous ligaments are a bit more touchy-feely than the pubic symphysis (as long as you err on the side of caution for the pubic symphysis).

I had a dude go too lower and hit my junk. So it depends on who you’re partnered with.

I say this as a religious person myself, and from what I've seen schools are usually pretty accommodating, but I think med school should be a full participation or don't come ordeal. This goes for religion, learning and/or physical disabilities, and mental illness. There are plenty of other careers that can and should accommodate for these things, but medicine is not one of them.

Just my n=1.

I had a dude go too lower and hit my junk. So it depends on who you’re partnered with.

I had a classmate identify my left testicle as my pubic symphysis. The worst part, in the name of not making it more awkward than it already was, I chose to not correct him.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a classmate identify my left testicle as my pubic symphysis. The worst part, in the name of not making it more awkward than it already was, I chose to not correct him.
Yeah that pubic symphysis is a doozy. Pretty sure I had the honor of being some girl's first run around 3rd base... From the way she was shaking and stammering I don't think she's had much exposure to the male anatomy. OMM is forever awkward.

Yeah that pubic symphysis is a doozy. Pretty sure I had the honor of being some girl's first run around 3rd base... From the way she was shaking and stammering I don't think she's had much exposure to the male anatomy. OMM is forever awkward.
Holy **** that’s great. Gotta love OMM lab.