This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Relocate family to hospital administration role in rural area 2 hours away or take a retail startup

• Yes, relocate for hospital job to rural city, 2 hours away from current city

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No, stay in current city, work the retail start up in the clinic

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

YesMan123G

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I need some advice. I need your help. I want to do what’s best for my family while having a job that I enjoy if possible.

I want the hospital admin role - it aligns with my passions and goals and preferred work environment. However, I love the location of my current city. It’s a great place to live.

I have been offered a local start up retail job at my current city in a clinic. I asked about tech support, they said it’s will be a solo operation until the volume supports the work. They will be 2 pharmacists (including me as the manager and a part time pharmacist) to ensure we can open during clinic hours. That’s means it will be only me manning the phones, pick-up, drop off, drug regimen reviews, verification,filling, prior auth’s etc....

What would you do? Family and I do not like the rural location,..it’s tough, I always wanted to raise my family in our current city but I don’t want to be deadlocked into retail and I think the hospital admin job might offer me better exit opportunities 5 years from now

Reason I’m looking - I was just laid off from my current role ....devastating
Take classes and get out of pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 users
You said you want whats best for your family while having a job that you enjoy. Well you clearly stated yourself that you and your family don't like the rural location so you'd have to pick. You can always get a chance at another hospital admin opportunity but how will you get another chance at making it up for your family? There's a lot of "mights". If you might not get a chance at an exit opportunities 5 years from now at that hospital admin role, then what?

At least at this new retail start-up role, you don't know whether or not you'll enjoy it yet so you can't wipe it off the table. What was your previous role btw?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I need some advice. I need your help. I want to do what’s best for my family while having a job that I enjoy if possible.

I want the hospital admin role - it aligns with my passions and goals and preferred work environment. However, I love the location of my current city. It’s a great place to live.

I have been offered a local start up retail job at my current city in a clinic. I asked about tech support, they said it’s will be a solo operation until the volume supports the work. They will be 2 pharmacists (including me as the manager and a part time pharmacist) to ensure we can open during clinic hours. That’s means it will be only me manning the phones, pick-up, drop off, drug regimen reviews, verification,filling, prior auth’s etc....

What would you do? Family and I do not like the rural location,..it’s tough, I always wanted to raise my family in our current city but I don’t want to be deadlocked into retail and I think the hospital admin job might offer me better exit opportunities 5 years from now

Reason I’m looking - I was just laid off from my current role ....devastating

This is a smart man - how many times, on this forum, have I said medical administration is a great alternative to pharmacy. Not sure many are listening.

Op - you know what to do.

I have an MBA. I’ve staffed in retail and hospital. My previous role was a director at a small specialty hospital

I have previously done retail and I did not enjoy it. Plus it’s also hard on your body physically and tech support is not as much as hospital. I don’t enjoy ringing people up, counting, being constantly pressed while trying to ensure safety....retail is a lot...my wife is not in Pharmacg and so she doesn’t understand the different practice settings....but you bring up a good point, no exit opportunities but there’s room for growth in the hospital organization but that means I would still be stuck in an area I would not want to be

Okay now that I have more information about ur employment history, it would make more sense to stay within the hospital realm. If you are the breadmaker for your family, I would try to convince your family and take that job 2 hours away. If anything, you guys can maybe move an hour outside so it'll be an hour commute either direction and if opportunities happen to come up, you can always move back to your original city?

This is my career for now and I have a family to feed and I was laid off...4 kids, stay at home wife...this impacts my family, the one I want to do right for

Dude, rural is not always bad. I was out in BFE colorado for 3.5 years doing retail and you know what? was the most beautiful, clean place i have ever been. Was trout fishing and skiing all the time, hiking, camping, and you can see the stars because of low light pollution. I found it very relaxing. Find a nice house AWAY from the riff raff of town and STAY AWAY FROM RETAIL! a retail startup is extreme risk due to the hard times making profit these days ya know? i dont know who would even start that venture anymore. Go with the BFE area and RELAX....(and plan an exit strategy while your doing this).....lol.

This made my day! Going retail is the opposite of everything. I’ll be looking to get out soon...I want some relaxation too my man. Thanks bro.

Although you have to consider what is best for your family you also have to consider your ability to maintain your level of income since you are the sole source of income. I would pick the opportunity that has more stability and pay while letting your family know that sacrifices need to be made to ensure the life they are accustomed to. I liked the idea of splitting the difference. Also, a start up retail may require you to work longer hours when it gets busier, promote in the community, potential weekend shifts down the line. Hospital admin will likely keep you at Monday-Friday which will give you plenty of family time on weekends. Also, think about how your story looks when you try to get another job. You won’t be able to fudge the firing and say you found something better if you took the downgrade to retail. It would raise red flags