Relocating and finding new providers or keeping existing providers?

PhDToBe

7+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2009
Status
Psychologist
I was wondering what everyone is going to do regarding doctor appointments in their new location. I go to a primary care physician, dentist, orthodontist, optometrist, etc., and want to continue receiving care.

Are people planning on just going to their current doctors over breaks, or finding new doctors in the new location?

Thanks!

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
MOD NOTE: I renamed your thread because it sounded like you were inquiring about opening up a new practice in a new location....at least that is how I read it. -t4c

This title should get you more relevant responses.

Jan 14, 2010
USA
Status
Psychology Student
I was wondering what everyone is going to do regarding doctor appointments in their new location. I go to a primary care physician, dentist, orthodontist, optometrist, etc., and want to continue receiving care.

Are people planning on just going to their current doctors over breaks, or finding new doctors in the new location?

Thanks!
I'm planning to get new doctors at my new location (but mainly because I will have no reason to return to the state I'm in now). However, even if this was my hometown, I think I would get new ones. I did the 'keeping same providers' thing in college and it was a hassle trying to schedule certain things over break.

Of course, you can always try to find new providers and if you don't like any that you find keep your old ones.

PhDToBe

7+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2009
Status
Psychologist
T4C: thanks...I wasn't quite sure how to word it!

PsychApps: I think I will probably find new ones, because I, too, had trouble scheduling my appt's. Also, it an be pretty difficult when your insurance only allows you to schedule your next app't over one year after your last one.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
I kept my same providers up until I moved across the country. When I lived a few hours away I'd schedule appointments and visit my folks while I was in town, but that is much harder when I moved a plane-ride away. I still have my same hair place (close family friends...andn they are awesome), though I only see them a few times a year so I have to cheat on them here and there.

Jan 29, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
I switched because the insurance plan forced me to. Otherwise I would have had to pay more for out of network physicians.

Even if I wasn't 'forced' to, I would switch anyway. I prefer having doctors who are within 10 mins of my current home. I would rather get to know a new doctor while I feel ok through my normal check-up appointments, than to fall ill suddenly and have to find a new doctor close by, figure out how to get there (while I am sick), have a complete stranger inspect my body, etc...

Maybe I'm kind of neurotic, but I like to lower my anxiety as much as possible when it comes to possible doctor visits.