Other OT-Related Information Relocating for OT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delta-ot

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was recently admitted to Howard U in Washington D.C. but I currently live all the way in Texas. I was also accepted to University of St. Augustine in Austin, TX so I am facing quite a dilemma. My heart is set on Howard's program but I am concerned about the distance and difference in cost of living in the DMV compared to TX. Anyway, I just wanted to get any advice from anyone who faced a similar issue and how a decision was made. Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I was recently admitted to Howard U in Washington D.C. but I currently live all the way in Texas. I was also accepted to University of St. Augustine in Austin, TX so I am facing quite a dilemma. My heart is set on Howard's program but I am concerned about the distance and difference in cost of living in the DMV compared to TX. Anyway, I just wanted to get any advice from anyone who faced a similar issue and how a decision was made. Thanks in advance!!!
With a move that big, I would look for on-campus housing, even if it is a dorm. I say this because it's usually cheaper, you don't really need a car if you live on campus, and furniture is included. I moved from Washington state down to Loma Linda University in southern CA and I'm so happy I decided to live on campus!

Reactions: 1 user
With a move that big, I would look for on-campus housing, even if it is a dorm. I say this because it's usually cheaper, you don't really need a car if you live on campus, and furniture is included. I moved from Washington state down to Loma Linda University in southern CA and I'm so happy I decided to live on campus!
Well I’ll be moving with my partner so we’re looking for off campus apartments. I’m trying to calculate expenses now. It’s all so stressful because I have to make a decision by this Friday :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I moved from Austin to Virginia for my OT program. I don't regret going to the school that I connected with more. I had to move a 3 bedroom home, with my kid and my dog. There are people in my program that moved from Oregon and Washington. We split up our move over several days, and it really made a difference to not drive straight through.

I know several people who sold off the majority of their furnishings before arriving and just finding a furnished apartment/house while they are in school.

I also have heard not so great things from people who taught at St. Augustines... so that being said, I would choose the non-for profit school. Also, when I toured the school, I did not see too many happy faces in the crowd. The students looked miserable. I think you will be happier with it.

Also, at my University Grad students are not allowed to live in the dorms... so always best to check.

Last edited:
I moved from Austin to Virginia for my OT program. I don't regret going to the school that I connected with more. I had to move a 3 bedroom home, with my kid and my dog. There are people in my program that moved from Oregon and Washington. We split up our move over several days, and it really made a difference to not drive straight through.

I know several people who sold off the majority of their furnishings before arriving and just finding a furnished apartment/house while they are in school.

I also have heard not so great things from people who taught at St. Augustines... so that being said, I would choose the non-for profit school. Also, when I toured the school, I did not see too many happy faces in the crowd. The students looked miserable. I think you will be happier with it.
Thank you for your response! I have heard mixed things about St. Augustine as well. When I toured and interviewed, everyone seemed great but they did stress the cost of course. I am currently looking into potential areas in the DMV to consider. Now if you don't mind me asking, what moving company did you use..or did you all just move independently??

Do you know what the total cost for howard is by chance?
I looked everywhere but Howard U's website is not detailed enough about the total cost for the MSOT program specifically. But based on their estimated cost for the College of Nursing graduate programs, I think tuition for the entire program might be between $60 K - $70 K.

Using shipping crates probably would have been the easiest and most comfortable thing to do. (Although probably more expensive)

However, I packed the house and used U-Haul mover services at each location. (Hired ones in Austin, and then in Virginia when we got here) They even have packing services to assist with that if you need it. And I rented a Penske truck, and towed my Jeep behind. We stopped in 3 hotels along the way.. but I have a kid so you could probably trim it down.

A big move like that is stressful, but if you love the program then I'd say go! I'm currently living in California but am either moving to Pittsburgh or Kansas City depending on the school I choose. Just look at it as an adventure and a great opportunity. You can always move back after the program if you don't like D.C living.

I'm planning on using a POD or something similar for the move just so I don't have to stress about driving a uhaul across country and can make a fun road trip out of it.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Using shipping crates probably would have been the easiest and most comfortable thing to do. (Although probably more expensive)

However, I packed the house and used U-Haul mover services at each location. (Hired ones in Austin, and then in Virginia when we got here) They even have packing services to assist with that if you need it. And I rented a Penske truck, and towed my Jeep behind. We stopped in 3 hotels along the way.. but I have a kid so you could probably trim it down.
It'll just be me and my bf and luckily we don't have a whole lot between us and probably will only stop once. I think we will get the Uhaul, tow one car, and I'll drive mine. Thank you so much!

A big move like that is stressful, but if you love the program then I'd say go! I'm currently living in California but am either moving to Pittsburgh or Kansas City depending on the school I choose. Just look at it as an adventure and a great opportunity. You can always move back after the program if you don't like D.C living.

I'm planning on using a POD or something similar for the move just so I don't have to stress about driving a uhaul across country and can make a fun road trip out of it.

Good luck!
That's exactly how I am thinking about the whole trip to not feel so overwhelmed about the whole process. I didn't even consider PODS! Definitely going to look into that. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a company I heard about from a vlog I watch called Upack. They are similar to PODS, but might offer a better deal overall

Portable Storage Units

Thank you for your response! I have heard mixed things about St. Augustine as well. When I toured and interviewed, everyone seemed great but they did stress the cost of course. I am currently looking into potential areas in the DMV to consider. Now if you don't mind me asking, what moving company did you use..or did you all just move independently??

What have you heard from St. Augustine if you don't mind me asking? I got accepted for their OTD program this fall and I'm not sure if I wanna pack up and move from Chicago to there either.

What have you heard from St. Augustine if you don't mind me asking? I got accepted for their OTD program this fall and I'm not sure if I wanna pack up and move from Chicago to there either.
I shadowed with an OT that worked as a professor for them. She refused to continue to work for them based off their values, but short story is they value the money more than the outcome.

Well aside from the fact that the program is ridiculously overpriced, there are some ethical issues that have taken place, and financial aid is a mess and extremely scarce. I personally decided not to attend because there was not enough diversity (I was the only Black student in my orientation group and only saw 3 students of color while touring). Everyone was really nice but I felt uneasy about all of that and the costs. Ultimately, it doesn't matter where you obtain your degree. If you feel that you can excel there despite the flaws, I'd say go for it! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Well aside from the fact that the program is ridiculously overpriced, there are some ethical issues that have taken place, and financial aid is a mess and extremely scarce. I personally decided not to attend because there was not enough diversity (I was the only Black student in my orientation group and only saw 3 students of color while touring). Everyone was really nice but I felt uneasy about all of that and the costs. Ultimately, it doesn't matter where you obtain your degree. If you feel that you can excel there despite the flaws, I'd say go for it! Good luck!
Thanks for your response!! I definitely want to be somewhere thats diverse. Im visiting this May to get a final feel of it and then decide from there if I want to spend the extra money. But as of right now, I heard a lot of mix reviews about the finances so I'm leaning more towards staying near home to save money.

Good luck!

Out of curiosity, what did you end up doing for your move? I'm looking to move to the east coast as well and I'm trying to decide how I want to make the move.

I'm planning on moving from California to DC to attend Trinity. This thread is helping me to begin to wrap my mind around the move (I've never moved outside of southern California before). I will most likely be moving with my boyfriend as well. TBD if dorms are available for couples/grad students at my school. Diversity was also very important for me and I am excited to move to such a cosmopolitan city.

I'm planning on moving from California to DC to attend Trinity. This thread is helping me to begin to wrap my mind around the move (I've never moved outside of southern California before). I will most likely be moving with my boyfriend as well. TBD if dorms are available for couples/grad students at my school. Diversity was also very important for me and I am excited to move to such a cosmopolitan city.

Maryland is also home to the American Occupational Therapy Association. Keep an eye open for learning and opportunities. Congratulations! It's scary but very worthwhile.

Maryland is also home to the American Occupational Therapy Association. Keep an eye open for learning and opportunities. Congratulations! It's scary but very worthwhile.
Nice! Thanks for your response :)

I'm moving from Southern CA to the Philadelphia area (but going to live in New Jersey). It is scary. I am getting married and moving with my future husband, but I think we're both scared still LOL. I don't know what program you're attending, but ours puts you in a FB group with your cohort once accepted. From there I would think you could find a few people to rent a house with. That would help with costs, and if anyone lives there already, they can help with getting furniture.

I'm moving from Southern CA to the Philadelphia area (but going to live in New Jersey). It is scary. I am getting married and moving with my future husband, but I think we're both scared still LOL. I don't know what program you're attending, but ours puts you in a FB group with your cohort once accepted. From there I would think you could find a few people to rent a house with. That would help with costs, and if anyone lives there already, they can help with getting furniture.

Hi - was that FB group for Salus? Do you know the name of it? I only saw the general Salus FB page. Thanks

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, what program are you going to be attending in Philly? I am from New Jersey and have been accepted into Thomas Jefferson, but I am also thinking about attending Touro University in Nevada!