Remediation and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pately

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a first-year DO student and I just failed my neuro block. I was wondering how badly this would impact my chances for matching into a residency program for Internal Medicine. I'm concerned because Step 1 will be pass/fail and my school will be making us take Comlex Level I as pass/fail as well, so I would not be able to simply get a high boards score to show residency programs. I will be remediating this block at the end of the semester. But is there anything else I should do so that this is not a major red flag?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hit Step 2 out of the ballpark.

Reactions: 1 user
Some programs filter out people that remediate or fail anything. Overall, you should be fine at nearly all community programs and some academic. A first year remediation can be overlooked easily if its not indicative of a pattern. You'd be surprised how many doctors failed something

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The surgery program director at my core rotation site failed his psych rotation when he was in med school

Yes, it's a red flag 🚩. How you perform from here on out will make all the difference. Do well in class, don't fail Step 1, do well on Step 2 and clinicals. Some programs may screen you but I believe there is plenty of room for redemption. That said, make sure you in fact redeem yourself. Otherwise, low grades and boards might work against you depending on your specialty.

Hi everyone. I am a first-year DO student and I just failed my neuro block. I was wondering how badly this would impact my chances for matching into a residency program for Internal Medicine. I'm concerned because Step 1 will be pass/fail and my school will be making us take Comlex Level I as pass/fail as well, so I would not be able to simply get a high boards score to show residency programs. I will be remediating this block at the end of the semester. But is there anything else I should do so that this is not a major red flag?

Thanks in advance!
It's a red flag but you have several chances to neutralize or even do more than that.

240+ on Step 2CK
IM Honors/High Pass

Either of these will get you academic IM if you're willing to apply broadly.

Sometimes, remediation does not even show up on your transcript if you pass the remediation the first time.

At my school, you can pass the course but fail the practical and have to remediate the practical; but this does not count as failing the course and thus is not on your transcript.

From here on, plan to try not to fail anything else, but you should be ultimately fine as the vast majority of medical students have remediated something at one time or another.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a red flag but you have several chances to neutralize or even do more than that.

240+ on Step 2CK
IM Honors/High Pass

Either of these will get you academic IM if you're willing to apply broadly.
Low tier university IM is possible with just a 500+ comlex score.

You should worry about passing the remediation well at this point and not worry about residency. You ain't gonna have a residency to apply to if you don't make it out of neuro block.
You have plenty of chances for IM so get off here and study for neuro.

I just matched IM with a remediation year. I definitely did not get as many interviews as my colleagues with similar scores, but I was able to match comfortably and was super happy with my rank list. Feel free to message me if you need to talk or have any more questions

Reactions: 3 users
I just matched IM with a remediation year. I definitely did not get as many interviews as my colleagues with similar scores, but I was able to match comfortably and was super happy with my rank list. Feel free to message me if you need to talk or have any more questions
are you a DO?

Thats pretty encouraging, despite the remediated year. Congrats!!
IM is not that competitive. US students (MD/DO) can still match community IM (even low tier university) even if they repeat a year and have crappy step scores.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users

Thanks in advance!
Depends on how your school handles remediation on the transcript. Even so, doing really well on an IM shelf will go far. I had a remediated lab in my first semester, and was very worried about the same thing, no one even asked me about it. Now granted my school only made a comment on a transcript, and it wasn't super noticeable cause the grade was still a C, but I am sure someone saw it. What I did get comments on was honoring my IM shelf. If you pass all your boards, and you honor the shelf I predict no one will ask you about it either. Don't stress friend.

Reactions: 1 users