Remedy for a poor sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My science grades were Bs and B+s but I studied a lot for the DAT and did well (20+), which got me into my top choice (plus 3 other interviews which I declined). My non-science GPA was also 3.6 (btw I'm also a non-science major).

I recommend studying real hard and aiming for 20+ AA and 20+ TS for your DAT. I took my DAT at the end of last summer (August). Although it was late, I felt all the studying was worth it. With hard work, you can definitely do it.

Good luck. :thumbup:

scdocusc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation but I was wondering what people thought. I Have a 3.57 overall GPA and my science GPA is 3.4. I havent taken the DAT but I hope to do well on it. These GPA averages are done on my own. But I was mad when I saw on another post that B+ grades only get 3.33 thats BS! I hope that doesnt bring my average down. Anyway! my question is basically, is my Science GPA going to kill me? I am applying to MUSC. I'm kinda worried about it.

J

jackbauer!

the only remedy for a poor SGPA is high DAT scores and a good explanation of your poor performance during your interviews.....trust me....they WILL ask :)

jB!:)

bluesdeluxe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it do for you to start graduate school? I think on ADDSAS it gives you a completely new GPA so hopefully schools would have both an undergraduate gpa and a graduate gpa.

The problem I'm finding is with the application cycle the way it is, you can only realisitically take classes during the spring/summer term and get them included by fall if you interview before Dec. Also, while having to hold a job my graduate gpa is going to be made up of very few classes even though I might lock a 4.0. Anyone have experience with this approach to the low undergrad gpa problem?

DentalDevil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it do for you to start graduate school? I think on ADDSAS it gives you a completely new GPA so hopefully schools would have both an undergraduate gpa and a graduate gpa.

The problem I'm finding is with the application cycle the way it is, you can only realisitically take classes during the spring/summer term and get them included by fall if you interview before Dec. Also, while having to hold a job my graduate gpa is going to be made up of very few classes even though I might lock a 4.0. Anyone have experience with this approach to the low undergrad gpa problem?

I graduated with a 3.0 and have been working full-time since. I took 5 more science classes while working bringing my science GPA to a 3.1. I got a 20 tot sci on DAT. Nobody asked me about my grades or anything during interviews.

bluesdeluxe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah but where do you stand with MUSC? and are you instate? I thought I had a great chance getting in but something isn't adding up.

scdocusc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
are you instate bluesdeluxe? or out of state? also extracurriculars are a factor too not just GPA and DAT

bluesdeluxe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah I'm instate. I have plenty of dental experience and shadowing. I have not had as much time to do volunteer work but I can't imagine that is holding me back. I'm definitely going to have to build that sort of thing up; I guess you gotta work every angle you got.