• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

student1985

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
My science grades were Bs and B+s but I studied a lot for the DAT and did well (20+), which got me into my top choice (plus 3 other interviews which I declined). My non-science GPA was also 3.6 (btw I'm also a non-science major).

I recommend studying real hard and aiming for 20+ AA and 20+ TS for your DAT. I took my DAT at the end of last summer (August). Although it was late, I felt all the studying was worth it. With hard work, you can definitely do it.

Good luck. :thumbup:

scdocusc

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
I am in a similar situation but I was wondering what people thought. I Have a 3.57 overall GPA and my science GPA is 3.4. I havent taken the DAT but I hope to do well on it. These GPA averages are done on my own. But I was mad when I saw on another post that B+ grades only get 3.33 thats BS! I hope that doesnt bring my average down. Anyway! my question is basically, is my Science GPA going to kill me? I am applying to MUSC. I'm kinda worried about it.

About the Ads
J

jackbauer!

the only remedy for a poor SGPA is high DAT scores and a good explanation of your poor performance during your interviews.....trust me....they WILL ask :)

jB!:)

bluesdeluxe

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
What does it do for you to start graduate school? I think on ADDSAS it gives you a completely new GPA so hopefully schools would have both an undergraduate gpa and a graduate gpa.

The problem I'm finding is with the application cycle the way it is, you can only realisitically take classes during the spring/summer term and get them included by fall if you interview before Dec. Also, while having to hold a job my graduate gpa is going to be made up of very few classes even though I might lock a 4.0. Anyone have experience with this approach to the low undergrad gpa problem?

DentalDevil

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
NC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
What does it do for you to start graduate school? I think on ADDSAS it gives you a completely new GPA so hopefully schools would have both an undergraduate gpa and a graduate gpa.

The problem I'm finding is with the application cycle the way it is, you can only realisitically take classes during the spring/summer term and get them included by fall if you interview before Dec. Also, while having to hold a job my graduate gpa is going to be made up of very few classes even though I might lock a 4.0. Anyone have experience with this approach to the low undergrad gpa problem?

I graduated with a 3.0 and have been working full-time since. I took 5 more science classes while working bringing my science GPA to a 3.1. I got a 20 tot sci on DAT. Nobody asked me about my grades or anything during interviews.

bluesdeluxe

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
yeah but where do you stand with MUSC? and are you instate? I thought I had a great chance getting in but something isn't adding up.

scdocusc

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
are you instate bluesdeluxe? or out of state? also extracurriculars are a factor too not just GPA and DAT

bluesdeluxe

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
yeah I'm instate. I have plenty of dental experience and shadowing. I have not had as much time to do volunteer work but I can't imagine that is holding me back. I'm definitely going to have to build that sort of thing up; I guess you gotta work every angle you got.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.