Remember: some of the tough passages are probably experimental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firebird69guy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bet they won't even be graded.. just there to freak us out and drive us nuts

Members don't see this ad.

i had this awful air conditioner/heater/circuit passage, i hope it was experimental.

I hope all of my verbal passages were experimental.. and they give us all a 12

Members don't see this ad :)
firebird69guy said:
I bet they won't even be graded.. just there to freak us out and drive us nuts

uh.. what are "experiemental passages?" could someone explain this to me before a blood vessel build up in my head and burtsts?

I hope the physics passage on walking was experimental. Since when is z the vertical axis?

What are you guys talking about? I was not aware of any experimental passages! Please explain as you now have my curiousity.

Experimental passages are passages in the MCAT that aren't graded and are only used so that AAMC can try out these questions so that they can put them on future MCATs for a grade. They're just testing out those passages (although I heard there are only experimental questions, not whole passages).

chaeymaey said:
Experimental passages are passages in the MCAT that aren't graded and are only used so that AAMC can try out these questions so that they can put them on future MCATs for a grade. They're just testing out those passages (although I heard there are only experimental questions, not whole passages).

Um experimental passages are still graded. It sucks, but oh well. The AAMC's primary goal is to screw us over

I've heard it's an urban legend started by someone on SDN to give us some hope while we're waiting...j/k.

I could sure use some of those experimental questions on my form :thumbup:

I had form BP and there was a passage about an air conditioner in some enviroment that needed to stay between 13-15 degrees with a heater and the liquid that vaporizes and then condenses then the four resistors in parallel oh yes it was awful

jtank said:
i had this awful air conditioner/heater/circuit passage, i hope it was experimental.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Um experimental passages are still graded. It sucks, but oh well. The AAMC's primary goal is to screw us over

This is what I found on AAMC:

How does the MCAT get test questions?

A large pool of content experts writes the items. New items are included in each administration of the MCAT as "field test" questions. Field test questions are not scored, but they are assessed for their performance and, if they are approved, are used on a future MCAT.

I would very much like to meet these 'content experts'.

what was so tough about it? Which questions stand out about it? was picking the diagram hard?

I didn't think the refrigerant passage was hard. Eh, I was going to elaborate but the notice on the forum says not to discuss. I didn't like the urine passage or the 3 planets passage.

how are we graded out of 77 questions? See that makes no sense. If there is experimentla passages and they do not count... then they neither help or hurt us. Which is ******ed. So if we got those correct it won't benefit us. I'm sure now that since those questions are omitted, the score is standardized with 70 questions or so? or is it that if you get thsoe right you can add them to your 70? Makes no sense at all, seriously. wickedly ******ed.