1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

remember the real world in san francisco...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bewitched1081, Mar 13, 2004.

1. bewitched1081

bewitched1081 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

one of the seven went to ucsf medical school. what i dont understand is how she went through medical school living with a bunch of crazy people (one of them was that wierd dude who got kicked off) and being filmed all of the time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nibrocli

nibrocli Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i was just wondering the same thing!! when did she study?
    wasn't her name pam??

3. UCSBMed1

UCSBMed1 SoCal Hater
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well if you watched the season, you saw that she was NEVER on the show. Thats how she did it. I can't even remember her on more than a handful of episodes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BerkeleyPremed

BerkeleyPremed Membership Revoked
    Removed

First of all, UCSF is on a pass/fail system so all you have to do is just keep up. You don't have to gun for As in every class like you did in udergrad. Secondly, does anyone know how that airhead actually got into med school?

5. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Simple: Med School admits people by rolling the dice, throw darts at applications on the wall, or methods similar to that.

6. BerkeleyPremed

Removed

Either that...or the young woman walked into the admissions office at UCSF with a pair of knee pads and some mouthwash..and told the adcom members that she doesn't have a gag reflex. ALL of the adcom members were thinking the same thing..."ADMITTED."

7. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.
    10+ Year Member

I work with Pam. She's very cool and she's exceedingly good at what she does. She ended up at UCSF because her GPA and MCAT were unbelievably high. She survived on the Real World because studying at the library is boring, and they pretty much left her alone.

You guys sound so incredibly stupid, petty and jealous. You wonder how she made it through med school when she was on the Real World - I wonder how you make it through general chemisty thinking up and posting this kind of crap on sdn...

Nanon

8. UCSBMed1

UCSBMed1 SoCal Hater
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My thoughts exactly.

Obviously she had to be pretty intelligent to get into one of the best med schools in the country. You guys don't even know her.

Nanon: thats pretty cool that you know her. I wish her and her hubby from the season (Judd) all the luck in the world!:)

9. pathdr2b

pathdr2b Membership Revoked
    Removed

I thought she was pretty cool too and good for you for telling it like it is!!!:clap: :clap:

10. coldchemist

coldchemist Biowulf
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Man, I always thought she took that year off. Show's how much I watch MTV! Really, though...that's unbelievable!

11. omores

omores sleep deprived
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Forgive me for not finding the humour in this, but you've pissed me off in two ways:

First, I despise the implication that a woman can use sexual favours to get into medical school if her credentials aren't sufficient. And how, for that matter, do you know they aren't? What underlies your assumption that she's an airhead?

Second, I resent the notion that adcom members are all male. There are also -- gasp -- women in positions of authority in medical schools as well.

CalBeE's notion that admissions decisions are made by dice or darts strikes me as entirely plausible, however.

12. mellantro

mellantro Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

13. theprizefighter

theprizefighter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, All

I never watched Real World SF but it sure is nice to know that Pam worked really hard and didn't get sucked into most of the Real World pittfalls.

tpf

Pitt Med Class of 2008

14. OP
    OP
    bewitched1081

bewitched1081 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i apologize if this threaded offended you. it was no way meant to spark criticism or rude and inappropriate comments from others. i should have known that some people would jump at the chance to pick on someone else. i've learned my lesson though. never will i start a thread about one single person again!

15. nibrocli

nibrocli Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

bewitched, it's not your fault. you didn't start a negative thread at all. i think because pam was on tv, some people don't think of her as a "real" person and don't think their comments could be hurtful.

nanon, thanks for defending your friend. i always thought she seemed pretty cool! please don't think everyone on sdn is so childish.

16. Goober

Goober Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I didn't watch the show a lot but the few times I saw her on it I really didn't get impression that she was an airhead. As for how she got into UCSF, she went to Harvard and has a pretty good list of honors:

National Merit Scholar, 1986
    Detur Prize, Harvard University, 1987
    John Harvard Scholarship, Elizabeth Cary Agassiz Scholar, Harvard College Scholarship, Harvard University, 1986-1990
    Phi Beta Kappa, Harvard and Radcliffe Colleges, Harvard University, 1990
    Regent's Scholar, University of California San Francisco, 1991-1996

http://cc.ucsf.edu/people/ling_pamela.html

BTW she is listed an assistant professor now at UCSF :cool:

17. BerkeleyPremed

Removed

I'd like to start off by saying that you need to calm down...take a deep breath...now exhale. Think of pleasant thoughts and go for a picnic.

Secondly, that post was not meant to be taken seriously. That whole post was just poking fun at the HIGHLY implausible, "roundabout" methods one can use to get into medical school. As for my statement that she was an "airhead"...that was completely unjustified given that I don't know her and only saw her on a stupid TV show. I just said that to because it seems that practically EVERYONE on EVERY Real World cast had some sort of major psychological/interpersonal issues that needed to be resolved. As a result, I decided to be obnoxious and ask how she got into UCSF.

Please see yourself to your nearest public library and read some Emma Goldmann or stare at a poster of Rosie the Riveter. Have a nice day.

18. omores

omores sleep deprived
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I recognize that you were trying to be funny and don't seriously believe that's how some women get into medical school. You still pissed me off. It's easy to lose your sense of humour about comments like yours when you hang out in hospitals all the time -- particularly if there are surgeons* around. Many of the ones I've worked with talk like that all day long, and it's not motivated by a desire to be funny.

Just wanted to make you aware of how your comments can come across.

And it was truly a lovely day for a picnic. Thanks for the suggestion.

*Mandatory disclaimer: many surgeons are wonderful. Some aren't. The "boys' club" nature of the surgery program at my school can pretty oppressive

19. carrigallen

carrigallen 16th centry dutch painter
    10+ Year Member

it is cool that she became an internist - ckent, I think we found the perfect match for you! :D

20. mellantro

mellantro Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

carrigallen, Can you clear your PM box? I tried PMing you but it wouldnt go through. I want to ask you some questions about Jefferson, if you don't mind.:D

21. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

that's Dr. Pam to you. :idea:

22. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.
    10+ Year Member

No, you didn't offend me. However, BPM's comments needed to be *ahem* addressed.

23. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

24. BerkeleyPremed

Removed

LoL. Sorry Nanon...that was just a failed attempt at shock/humor. I didn't really mean that was the method she used to get into UCSF. I'm sure Dr. Ling is an excellent physician...and after looking at her credentials...she's much more accomplished than I'll ever be...so my comment about her being an "airhead" was definitely miles off target. I just said that because it seemed that EVERY Real World cast member in EVERY season had major psychological/interpersonal issues that needed to be worked out...but after looking at her CV, it looks like she's much more intelligent and hard working than I gave her credit for. Didn't mean to knock your friend..just tried to be funny...have a good one.

25. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

That season was either the 2nd or 3rd season of the real world. Back then, the shows were a little more "real". The people actually had jobs and were older and wanted a free place to live to make life a little easier. Now it's a chance to have sex with as many people as you can. :rolleyes:

26. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  27. BerkeleyPremed

Removed

That MPH from Berkeley really raises eyebrows, eh? ;) Guess graduating with honors from Harvard is also pretty cool...lol.