Remembering all those pesky Orgo Reactions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's been a while since I've been on. Physics with Calculus does that to me. So, here's my problem. I am getting hammered by the reactions we have to remember. I was told that flash cards would get distracting, but that was my only option given that no other way of understanding was available. I've gotten the first half down, and the second half is coming up in a few weeks. Can someone explain to me their strategy for remembering organic chemistry reactions? Because flash cards only go so far, and I have been practicing individual reactions, but come exam, it's like I got shot in the head and all the Orgoo(TM) is leaking out. Any experience with this nailbiting part of chemistry is welcome! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Although I made flashcards, they didn't just show reagents on the front and products on the back. Instead, I drew the reaction with just enough information so that it was identifiable--whether it was just including one of the reagents + catalyst or just the product. Anyways, it gets you to be a little more familiar with the different reactions. Pay special attention to reagents that play similar but not identical roles (I recall KmnO4 and O3 being somewhat similar...don't really remember too well since that was about 2 years ago...).

Also, instead of just flipping through the flashcards, I have a giant stack of scrap paper (since we're not trying to kill all the trees here or anything) and draw out the FULL reaction including the movement of electrons and everything. Something about rewriting the whole thing was really helpful. This all means that you go through the flashcards a fewer number of times but you learn it better.

I dunno...it helped me! Good luck with the course!

Yeah, I made my flash cards both ways. One side shows reactant and reagent, and asks for product, flip it around, and it asks for reagent. Also asks for anti-syn conformation, temperatures, alternatives. It was fun, but it didn't save me in the end :(

Members don't see this ad :)
textbook and a white board worked well for me. Write them over and over on the white board untill you don't need your book. Also a little bit of understanding why the reaction works will help you out alot, and can take some of the "pure" memorization out of O-chem.

have fun! I actualy enjoyed it

Also, instead of just flipping through the flashcards, I have a giant stack of scrap paper (since we're not trying to kill all the trees here or anything) and draw out the FULL reaction including the movement of electrons and everything. Something about rewriting the whole thing was really helpful. This all means that you go through the flashcards a fewer number of times but you learn it better.

Do this. I made cards that had all the reaction info on the front: reactants, products, syn/anti-syn, temps and then drew out the whole mechanism on the back. Then I went through and drew them all out till I knew them.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well, I know of a place with a whiteboard, and I'll see if I can abduct some of my friends to come with me next semmie :D

don't kill yourself memorizing that crap. Just learn the mechanisms and know how to predict what will react with what to give what products. Remember all of those reactions are really divided into about 4 or 5 main categories.

Hi Compass!

I did both semesters of O-chem in one summer, so I had to scramble to memorize all those reactions (especially for the cumulative finals, gah!). I used a "multiple pass" type of studying, usually in the following order:

1) Flashcards -- I used these to get a general familiarity with the reactions, names, etc.
2) Drawing -- I drew the reactions many, many times. I'm a very visual person and I also love to draw, so this was the fun part for me, haha. :oops:
3) Thinking about relationships/trends -- I found that if I thought about the reactions in relation to one another (how they are similar and different), it made it easier for me to remember them (I think this makes more connections to the material within the brain or something). Also, O-chem reactions are very "logical" if you understand the underlying mechanisms -- I thought a lot about why the mechanisms worked the way they did based on the rules we'd been given.
4) Mnemonics -- I used these for the terms I just couldn't remember. A pre-dental classmate/study partner was really good at coming up with these, so I used hers a lot of the time.
5) Practice tests -- my professors always gave us a few, and I went through each one carefully.
6) Studying in a group -- talking about the material with others and answering one another's questions were super helpful in solidifying what we were learning.

Hopefully these aren't too obvious or whatever. I found that #3 was the thing that gave me a big edge on the exams (I did *very* well in those classes). It's sort of like if you organize the material in that way, you "own" it or something, and the tests will become a lot easier.

Good luck!!! :luck:

I'm having a hard time seeing the 5 main categories. I've heard of them, but never saw them. All I know them as is my lame textbook titles: Reactions with Alkenes, Alkynes, Alcohols, Alkanes, and etc... :( Are we talking about types of reactions? Like how O3 and KMnO4 sometimes both do ozonolysis? Because then I see about 15 categories :(

I mostly learned the functional groups with where the lone electrons are and where the partial positive/negative charges are. Then I looked at how the electrons moved to the partial positive charges. Generally, there were patterns with the reaction, and knowing why the reaction works helps when figuring out other reactions.

Hope that helped.

Although there are a few exceptions, I don't think approaching organic chemistry via the memorization route is very effective. Don't study orgo the way you do with bio. Organic chemistry is more like math and solving puzzzles. Looking for patterns and understanding them is a lot more efficacious. Even if you go blank during exams, just looking at the reagents in a reaction can elucidate a great deal.

Personally, I never used flashcards. They just encourage more memorization.

I just did as many problems as humanly possible from the text and any supplemental materials (e.g. CDs, Online Resources, etc.). I took notes on the reactions repeatedly and made note of exceptions and what not.

I only did Index Cards for Carbon-13 NMR Spectroscopy Ranges because I couldn't remember those too well. But yea...do problems. You don't want to memorize reactions.

i always said PSH if i get a C-13 nmr question on the MCAT ill just guess, no point in memorizing all thoes..

then i got one.. and wished i had them memorized

i always said PSH if i get a C-13 nmr question on the MCAT ill just guess, no point in memorizing all thoes..

then i got one.. and wished i had them memorized

Ouch. :(

if you try to memorize the reactions you will sink or get a c or b or something. If you learn the reactions and why things happen the way they do (Everything is Nu and E for the most part) you will understand and be able to apply without all the studying.