Removed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedonking

Reaction score
I

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You’ve already been accepted , and the job isn’t listed on primary .you have nothing to worry about .
Well, don’t go to jail , get dui, or get arrested... that you should worry about . But the job - no .

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I have a medical job that I didn't list on my primary application because it didn't start until many months after I submitted it. I'm in my gap year now and just started a few months ago but had to request for time off after I finished training/shadowing (so I only worked on site for a week). I requested time off because of a health issue that came out of nowhere that's really been affecting my life. I also realized after working on site that my workplace doesn't really do a great job against COVID protection and I have two elderly parents, one with some serious health issues at home. They're not very on top of changing gloves between patients (and we get a lot of COVID patients) and many times they take their masks off in the back areas with just the employees without being totally hygienic about it. If I'd gotten my parents infected I wouldn't know what to do.

I've already been accepted to a few medical schools and I've finished with all the interviews I've gotten so far. My questions are:

1) If I quit my job now after not even technically working for a week, will it look bad? If I get more interview invites later on in the cycle, will telling them that I stopped working there because of health issues and COVID precautions look bad? I could probably find a part time job, but it wouldn't be easy to find another medical gig because COVID shut down all the hospital volunteering options.

2) Do medical schools contact gap year jobs that aren't listed on the primary application? I just mentioned that I plan on working there in my secondary apps.

Thank you for any help.
Med schools aren't the FBI. How could it look bad if they don't know about your job?
And how would find out about such a job? Hire detectives????

Two Xanax now, please

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’ve already been accepted , and the job isn’t listed on primary .you have nothing to worry about .
Well, don’t go to jail , get dui, or get arrested... that you should worry about . But the job - no .

I'm not too worried about those things happening LOL.

Med schools aren't the FBI. How could it look bad if they don't know about your job?
And how would find out about such a job? Hire detectives????

Two Xanax now, please

Well I've mentioned that I'm going to be working the job on my secondary applications and during my interviews that I've had so far so I'm just worried they'd contact them because I said the name of the place I work.

Do you think if I get future interviews they'd look down on me leaving? I'd have to mention it because it's written on my secondary app that I'm planning on working there.

Well I've mentioned that I'm going to be working the job on my secondary applications and during my interviews that I've had so far so I'm just worried they'd contact them because I said the name of the place I work.

Do you think if I get future interviews they'd look down on me leaving? I'd have to mention it because it's written on my secondary app that I'm planning on working there.
Not at all . Just be very open and honest . Tell them it’s covid times and iou are worried about your loved ones . Tell them while being a doctor will always have Risks, a good doctor balances risks and benefits , and stepping away to avoid putting ppl in Danger is the call you made .

NO!!!!!!
Now calm down.

Nobody cares about your future plans anyway.

• Haha
If it helps at all, I quit my clinical job I recently started during my gap year (I also got accepted and had it unlisted). It was a toxic work environment & wasn't protecting us from COVID as well as they had the ability to (plus I had health issues pop up). Glad to know I'm not alone & can empathize with others in a similar situation!

Reactions: 1 users
If it helps at all, I quit my clinical job I recently started during my gap year (I also got accepted and had it unlisted). It was a toxic work environment & wasn't protecting us from COVID as well as they had the ability to (plus I had health issues pop up). Glad to know I'm not alone & can empathize with others in a similar situation!

Glad I'm not alone as well! Yeah I was really worried about how it'd affect my chances if I happen to get more interviews, but I guess that I wouldn't really want to attend a school that wouldn't consider health issues and COVID safety more important than "productivity" during a gap year. Unless that school is Harvard haha.